Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2011, 05:08 AM   #1 
Qishi

New betta enthusiast

Hello everyone. I just recently started getting into betta fishes and boy am I nuts over them. I got two betta fish, one 5 days ago and another one just today. Just wanted to introduce my fishies (no names yet) and one question. My first betta is in a 1.7ish gallon tank and from what I gather from lurking around these forums, 2.5 gallon is the minimum everyone recommends. Only thing is, all the 2.5 gallons I saw online didn't look that much bigger and if anything, I think my tank looks a lot better and has more room to swim horizontally. Here's the picture of my tank

Here's the little bugger (the store advertised him as a super delta and it looks like that to me also)

Sorry for the image quality. I'm using a webcam and I'll try to borrow my girlfriend's camera soon. I can't take photos of my second betta because he's unfortunately in a water jug that is wavy so can't really see him. I just bought him today on impulse so I didn't get him a tank yet. I'm going tank shopping tomorrow. The second betta is a half moon and dark blue with some red showing on his bottom tail after I put him in new water.

I'm thinking of buying him the same tank as my first betta. I know a lot of people won't be quite happy with that, but my first betta looks very happy in his home and he already made 3 bubble nests. Only thing is I have to do 100% water changes every other day and 50% every other day as well. I feed them pellets and frozen bloodworms. I could get the 10 gallon tank at walmart for 15 bucks but it's really hard to catch them putting it up. They only have one out and it's gone really fast. All the other tanks they sell have stuff I don't want which jacks up the price. I'm actually ambitious enough to get the 10 gallon and buy another betta LOL.

And in case anyone is wondering why they see no heater, it's because I don't need one. I live in Hawaii so the temperature is always stable. Right now the temperature is at 80 degrees and it's always at 80.
Qishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:31 AM   #2 
Gloria

Welcome to the forum. I am fairly new to being a Betta parent too. I now have 6, after only 1 and a bit months :)
It is VERY addicting. I am now trying to breed a pair of mine too..
I like the tank you have, it looks nice and spacious. Although if it was me, id add just a few more plants..
Your Betta is very cute. His/her tail looks so full.
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:43 AM   #3 
Myates

Welcome, and congrats on getting bitten by the betta bug! What a handsome guy you have as well.
Your tank is just fine. It's people's opinions on what they think is the "minimum" size.
Unless it is really narrow, it looks more like a 2.5-3 gal actually. But a 1.7 is just fine for a single one. I have to agree with Gloria though, they prefer heavy planting and a place to hide like a cave or even a coffee cup so I would take that into consideration.
I would recommend a 1 50% and 1 100% water change per week with water conditioner, a full dose of it for the 50%.
Good luck and can't wait to see more of your boys and their new homes =)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #4 
Princess Penny

I agree that the tank looks fine - you are right that bettas prefer to have horizontal space so bigger is not always better. He looks very happy and healthy (he's beautiful, I should add!) so it would seem that you are doing a great job so far :) and if you've been lurking the forum I'm sure you are off to a very good start. I'm sure your other betta would be happy in the same tank (and by that I mean, another tank of the same type lol). As others have mentioned, bettas feel most comfortable when there is lots of cover available so if you could pick up a few more plants or provide a cave of some kind, that would be perfect! Old coffee mugs work great for that, and they're free or very cheap ;)

Just a side note, if you decide you really want a 10 gallon, next time you are at Walmart just politely ask an employee if they have any more in the back! If you can find someone who has one of the little scanning devices, they can easily check for you. My husband used to work in the Pet department at Walmart and unfortunately it is a department that is pretty neglected and they don't always have the time to keep everything fully stocked out on the floor.
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #5 
Qishi

Thank you everyone for the advice. I tried putting in a nice candle cup (with half dollar coin size holes in it) but the little bugger just didn't like it. He really likes his plant although I suspect he tore his fin once. I clipped all the pointy edges on the plant so hopefully he won't tear again.

I bugged the walmart guys twice to see if they have any in stock, but they seemed annoyed and said they didn't have any in the back. If I buy the 10g, I'm gonna have to cycle it so I won't have to do frequent water changes with 10g.

Another question though. My new betta has some white stuff at the tip of his ventral fins. Is that normal or do I have to treat it and if so, for what? I wish I could take a picture of him to show it to people. Otherwise he's perfectly fine, even a little aggressive. He's a really aggressive bugger and that's partly why I got him.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #6 
Bambi

The 1.7 is fine but will take alot of frequent water changes.
A divided 10 gallon would be an awesome home for your two boys to share and at walmart they have these little plant bulbs by the betta food that you can grow yourself. ^^ And if you save the thing they come in on the back in a warrenty and any that don't grow you can send in and have replaced, often with extras thrown in :).

What does the white stuff look like? can you get a picture?
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:11 AM   #7 
Qishi

I finally got the new tank for the new betta and a decent camera. Here are the pictures:

If you look carefully at his ventral fins, the tip of it is white. I'm also suspecting he has ick although I'm not completely sure. There are small pale blue dots on his scales that can't be identified with the pictures. I put him in the tank with aquarium salt and slightly warmer water (started at 83 degrees, now dropped to 81 degrees). I'm kind of worried though. I got him because he was very active and aggressive, but ever since he got into his new tank he's been swimming very rapidly and attacking his reflection from the tank. I even saw him "attack" while taking gulps of air. He's calmed down a bit now though so I suspect it was him getting used to his new home.

Oh and here's a picture of my first betta's bubble nest. I always return home to a new bubble nest :)

Old 09-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #8 
Myates

Nice guy!
Ich looks like grains of salt, pure white dots that fall off. So it's safe to say, at least looking at the pictures, that he doesn't have ich. And the clear-white coloring on his top fin is fin regrowth. He has a few pieces on the bottom where it looks like he bit his own fins. But other then that, a very handsome, healthy guy.
Would be very healthy and helpful to add in a lot more plants and a cave of sorts. Otherwise the tail biting can get worse out of boredom and stress of being in such an open place.

I would go ahead and slowly acclimate him to no salt. It's not needed and over exposure it's not the greatest.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:27 AM   #9 
Leeniex

He's beautiful!!! Those white spots on the ventrals are normal.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #10 
Larsa

awww hiii! =D Sweeet another betta-lover aboard! Soon you will get more more more bettas!! LOL I started off with a male CT , Ryu, and ended up gettting nine more bettas! O.o You might really love sororities. I promise you will be on and off this forum a lot looking at pictures =3
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote