Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #11 
Qishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Nice guy!
Ich looks like grains of salt, pure white dots that fall off. So it's safe to say, at least looking at the pictures, that he doesn't have ich. And the clear-white coloring on his top fin is fin regrowth. He has a few pieces on the bottom where it looks like he bit his own fins. But other then that, a very handsome, healthy guy.
Would be very healthy and helpful to add in a lot more plants and a cave of sorts. Otherwise the tail biting can get worse out of boredom and stress of being in such an open place.

I would go ahead and slowly acclimate him to no salt. It's not needed and over exposure it's not the greatest.
He must've bit his fins in the cup or at the store. At the time I took the picture, I just put him in his new tank. The one where he's in the cup was when i was acclimating him to the new tank so I didn't shock him with the temperature and water. He has a beautiful blue and starting to show streaks of red on his anal fins that weren't present at the fish store. I hope it becomes more pronounced. I'm suspecting he's gonna be a tough one to raise. Already dreading doing his 100% water change to lower the salt amount :( I'll try to buy some sort of cave or another plant if it looks like he isn't enjoying his current one.

And I would love to have a sorority some time down the line. I actually have a baby coming in Feb so I don't think I can have one any time soon. I'd want to be able to devote enough time and energy to it to do it right.

One thing I've noticed getting two bettas is they definitely have unique personalities. My first one took a couple of days to have him eat the bloodworms off my finger. He used to be so wary of my finger before. This new guy ate off my finger right off the bat even when he's still getting used to his new home. My first one carefully explored his new home but this new one darted around like mad for at least an hour.
Qishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #12 
Myates

Hehe cute! And congrats on the baby!
They do have their own personalities, it's fun to see them shine once they get used to you!
Definitely more plants, fake if you can and some sort of cave. They are most comfortable in medium to heavy planted/decorated tanks. They like to sleep on broad leaves and such. They will get easily bored with such a bare tank and that is when they start to cause trouble.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #13 
Qishi

I just had a great view putting their tanks together to see them flare. The half moon is DEFINITELY aggressive. He did not budge from the spot closest to my super delta. The super delta on the other hand flared a couple times and kept prowling his entire tank as if he was afraid. Is this ok to do once a day? I figure this would spice up their life until I can get caves and fake plants to make things less boring. If it stresses them too much then I'll stop.

And what a difference good food and water makes. The half moon's color is turning brighter. His head and body/fin color used to be the same, but now his head is definitely darker than his body/fin.

And thank you myates, I look forward to seeing my son, although I'll miss my sleep.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:18 AM   #14 
Myates

lol, well I'm hoping you get lucky and he is a good sleeper shortly after birth. =) I was blessed, my two girls started sleeping all night by the age of three months =P

As for the flaring, a good flaring session a day is good for them. It helps keep their fins and muscles there stronger, relieves boredom and pretty much makes them feel all studly thinking they chased the other away lol. Just keep a piece of paper nearby to put between the tanks when you see them doing it too much. But after a while they will learn to ignore the other for the most part, with a few chest puffing sessions back and here and there. I wouldn't move the tanks too much, it could cause stress on the fish and tank. If you can't have them near each other constantly, just get a mirror and they will just as happily flare at that.
Sounds like you are doing a great job, and can't wait to see them and their new homes in the time to come!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:21 AM   #15 
Qishi

OK so I need help naming my two bettas. The blue halfmoon is VERY aggressive. He is not shy and almost seems to be fearless. He also brightens his body/fin color at food and water change. His favorite area of the tank is the short side facing the other betta (which has a piece of paper obstructing vision). The red tail super delta is a bit more cautious and loves to eat. His favorite area of the tank is the long side of the tank facing me. I suspect their personalities match their favorite areas. The blue halfmoon seems to be constantly wanting to get at the red delta whereas the red delta is always waiting for me to feed him.

I think they also found a new toy: my finger. I put in the tip of my finger (which coincidentally feeds them) yesterday and they were very cautious about it and prowled around. The blue halfmoon periodically flared at my finger and the red delta just circled it. Well today I did it again and the blue halfmoon immediately started attacking my finger. It even bit my finger a couple of times -_- I did the same to my red delta expecting him to prowl around again. To my surprise, he immediately attacked my finger and bit me a couple times. I can understand now how they could kill each other, I could actually feel the bites.

Any problems with having my finger as betta toys? I wash them with water beforehand.

Last edited by Qishi; 10-01-2011 at 04:24 AM.