Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2011, 08:16 AM   #1 
xbecky685x

Can i have a Betta?

Hello im new to this hobby and to this site! I must admitt im quite addicted to it!

Basicily me and my boyfriend got a fish tank a few weeks ago its about 20 gallons.. We have done all the bits with the water and everythings fine! so really what i want to know is if i can have a pretty male Betta in the same tank with my 1 golden Gouramie (Did have two but he was a big fat bully so he now lives in my dads tank where hes much better) and Red Tail Shark? Atleast until i can afford his own little tank? Im so deseprate to have one but i want him to be happy and heathly obviously so i dont wanna just go out and get one without asking advice!
Thank you!

xx
xbecky685x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #2 
SassyBetta

iv heard of them living with gourami, not the shark, but i could be wrong lol. with adding any new fish to the tank you wana make sure that their water temp needs are within the same area. seeing as how bettas do their bests when the temps in the high 70's so iv heard. and also bettas are very terriotrial so if you do get the betta add him in last so that the other fish have a chance to get some of their own space clamed and then add the betta. do it the other way and hill think the entire fishtank is his and could be nasty to any fish added in afterwards. ummm i know some gourami get to be kinda big, so if he gets bogger than your betta it could become a problem because the male gouramis can become just as territorial as the betta and hill be bigger than your lil betta guy ( sometimes) iv heard that the femail gourami are a lil more mild tempered than the males. as always these are just one persons oppinions, and i could be 100% wrong so its always best to do some reasearch of your own ontop of asking for some help from our awsome website ( :D ) i think its a lil fun to research some info on the 3 fish you want to have in the same tank. best of luck and im sure a more qualified site member will post a more helpfull and probably shorter answer in a lil bit lol

Last edited by SassyBetta; 09-26-2011 at 09:12 AM.
SassyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:00 AM   #3 
youlovegnats

Hello becky,

Not at all. Gouramis and Sharks are very territorial and aggressive fish. I'm surprised you even have those two together. Are they not trying to shred each other?
Plus Sharks need more than 20 gal.- they get to be over 14".
I suggest that you wait until you get a tank for your betta. :)
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #4 
SassyBetta

^^^^and you see becky ,lol a much shorter and more helpfull post lol ^^^^

and poo on me for being 100% wrong lol
SassyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #5 
1fish2fish

I agree with Nats.

Betta and Gourami are in the same sub-order (Anabantoidei) and generally are not good together. They're both surface breathers and very territorial so they're not a good mixture.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:09 AM   #6 
Pitluvs

I have to second that, sharks especially redtails are large fish that need big tanks. They can be agressive as well. Only experience I have with Gouramis is my Dwarf guy, he's quite happy being the only fish his type in the tank. I have him with docile celestial pearls and Glowlight Tetras. It might be wise to get your betta his own tank, it much easier as well. Id love to see your Gourami sometime!!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:35 AM   #7 
xbecky685x

Thank guys! I decided to wait until i can get him his own tank :) I just remembered my dad has a little one he used to keep babies in so hopefully i can use that! :D
Yeah i have found out recently that i shouldnt really have a shark in the size tank i have but im afraid i did no research about fish until after i got them and the person who served me at the shop didnt have a clue! Quite annoying really.. I already had to get rid of one of the golden gouramies i brought because she sold me two males :(
Anyway thanks again for the help hopefully i can have a little tank up and running soon :D

xx
xbecky685x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:51 PM   #8 
youlovegnats

Hopefully it's bigger than a gallon! ;) Bettas need space too! ^^

Yeah it seems that more and more major pet stores have employees that have no idea what they are talking about. :<
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #9 
tf1265

Gouramis and red sharks are both aggressive fish with some specific care needs. Too bad the petstore sees the fish as products to sell instead of living things. They'd never sell you two puppies that might kill each other. What a shame.

You've learned a tough lesson about pet stores. Advice first, petstore second, because you won't get it once you get there.

I made the same mistake with gouramis - got 2 males for a 10 gallon tank. One of them shouldn't be in a 10 gallon, let alone 2. They are nasty things when they want to be. I'd take both fish back and get some more peaceful community fish - rasboras, cories, platies - all can live with a betta if that's what you want. Some varieties of tetras, some mollies. Do some research first, you have a lot of options. Water conditions and tank set-up can make a HUGE difference in what fish wil thrive in your tank, so when asking for advice on which fish to get always make sure you post tank size, water parameters (if you don't know, then you shouldn't be getting fish. Pet stores will test your water for free, or invest in a test kit), what fish you currently have, and what kind of decor/plants/substrate you have.

Good luck! It's a great (and addicting!) hobby, but it is a lot more involved than most people think it is.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #10 
Pitluvs

Just wanted to add dwarf type gouramis are peaceful fish but should not be with bettas as they breathe air from the top, and would compete with the betta for that spot. But as for community fish, dwarf gouramis are a nice tank mate for other tropicals. I have mine with my two most skiddish fish types, and he does wonderful. My other fish are out and swimming more now.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote