Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #1 
Betta Monkey

Found this epic food for bettas :)

I went to a different pet store randomly and I found them selling these great betta granules, and they're epic! They're small so even the puniest bettas can consume them safely, they have epic ingredients including daphnia and a good 45% protein content and my bettas have never gotten constipated ever since eating them They look so much healthier and have been blowing lots of bubbles since, as well, so I thought I'd recommend it. :)

Corina Betta Choice, betta granules
Betta Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #2 
fleetfish

Ingredient wise they don't look too bad ... though I wouldn't feed them because of the third and fifth ingredients being soy flour and wheat flour. It's just that I'm picky that way. As long as your bettas enjoy it, I see no reason to not let them eat it :)
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:00 PM   #3 
Betta Monkey

Thanks, most of the pellets available do have either soy or wheat, even the Hikari Bio Gold ingredients says they have them, so I guess it's not much of a choice.

Last edited by Betta Monkey; 09-26-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #4 
fightergirl2710

45% protein seems on the low side really. You would have to supplement with high protein foods.
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #5 
ksage505

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightergirl2710 View Post
45% protein seems on the low side really. You would have to supplement with high protein foods.
What would be considered a high protein content for an everyday food? I just checked my bottles and my betta pellets are 43%, cichlid sticks 44%, cichlid flakes 46%, FD bloodworms 50%, and SD gammarus 44%.
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #6 
ksage505

I just checked all the foods on the petco website and the highest I can find is 48%.
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #7 
Leeniex

That is a higher protein percentage than my pellets. I also supplement with frozen blood worms and live mosquito larvae whe I can get it. I hope I'm feeding them right?
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #8 
Pitluvs

I feed Aqueon Betta food and its 38%. We suppliment with frozen foods though. It's the only thing local that's small enough for the boys to eat.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:13 AM   #9 
Betta Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightergirl2710 View Post
I remember reading somewhere on this forums that preferable protein level would be anything higher than 40 or 43% ( I can't remember which), and yes, there are a lot of so-called Betta pellets which only have 30%-39%. From the replies, it seems that 50% is the highest we can find in pellets or granules. I do supplement them with dried bloodworms which have a 60% protein content, but then again some on these forums say that freeze dried bloodworms should only be given as a treat once a week because they're like MacDonalds for fish.

So meh.. I don't know who to listen to anymore. In order for them to have more protein and they're pretty active creatures anyway, I have resorted to bloodworms 3 times a week, but only 1 each time.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:26 AM   #10 
HatsuneMiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Monkey View Post
I do supplement them with dried bloodworms which have a 60% protein content, but then again some on these forums say that freeze dried bloodworms should only be given as a treat once a week because they're like MacDonalds for fish.
freeze dried bloodworms are to be given as a treat .. when they freeze dry them they lose all the nutritional value they once had .. it's like eating processed foods for humans

AND they are a difference between freeze dried and frozen blood worms ..

frozen blood worms (found in cubes in the freezer) which you can feed daily as a staple diet .. and has a high nutritional value
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote