Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2011, 02:00 AM   #11 
fightergirl2710

I give my bettas live and freeze dried bloodworms because of the lack of good pellets in stores.. I don't have a problem with it.. I don't suggest it to others though lol! Works for my fishies. ;)
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:00 AM   #12 
Betta Monkey

AND my area doesn't sell frozen blood worms. It's illegal to be growing them as well because of dengue fever from mosquitos around here.
Betta Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:08 AM   #13 
HatsuneMiku

AND that sucks for you
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:18 AM   #14 
fightergirl2710

In my experience, there is nothing wrong with freeze dried worms. I have had a betta live 3 years on nothing but that and live worms. You just need to be careful with portions. And your fish will have no bloating ever. Honestly, something is better than nothing.
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:00 AM   #15 
cajunamy
Banned

That is better protein and ingredient than my Atison's Betta Pro - which was widely recommended by top breeders.

39.9% protein, second ingredient is wheat flour
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:38 AM   #16 
Pataflafla

Freeze dried actually has the same nutritional value as frozen after being soaked to soften and readd the water lost in freeze drying. The issues most people have with it are bloating/constipation due to the betta not being used to the lower fiber diet and overfeeding because the freezedried seems like less when it actually isn't.

The pellets I feed are at 45% protein. I supplement with freeze dried blood worms, freeze dried krill, and freeze dried meal worm guts.

The blood worms are 50% protein, the krill is at 60%, and the meal worms are at 48% with higher fat content.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:20 AM   #17 
1fish2fish

The first two ingredients are meal products instead of a whole ingredient. That is what makes it not as good as something like NLS or Atisons. Not a bad food on the whole though but no, I wouldn't consider it epic by anymeans.

There is no one food that is all encompasing in the dietary needs of the fish. That is why it is important to feed a variety of foods.

And as an aside, blood worms do not come from mosqitos so having a ban on mosquitos shouldn't affect the sale of frozen blood worms, also the worms are packed and frozen in Japan I believe (at least the hikari brands) so a ban on mosquito harvest shouldn't mean frozen fish foods can't be sold.
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #18 
tpocicat

I feed mine Atisons Betta Pro, frozen baby daphnia, frozen brine shrimp, and live black worms, which mine love as a treat.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote