Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #1 
Miyazawa

gradual water change for 2 gallons?

Is there anyway not to do a 100% water change per week and do a 50% or 75% twice per week instead? my fish seems to stress a lot during water change. I do float him on top of the water first and then gradually assimilate him in the new water. But i feel like he's stressing about the process instead.
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #2 
CalvinWill

I was just about to ask the same question about my 1 gallon.

Most recommend a 100% change every 2 days. How about a 50% change every day?

There is a HUGE difference between a half and a full water change, and my fish does not care much for being jarred during changes. I just suck out half of the water around him, and dump the new stuff in slow.
CalvinWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #3 
Myates

The recommended is 1 50% and 1 100% per week for both those sizes, unfiltered. Every other day 100% is too much, the tank can be "too clean" and the fish won't build up a healthy immune to different bacteria and such.

Instead of the 100% you can do 75, 80%. The main reason for the 100% is to get all the food and waste on the bottom out. Those will build up and will cause ammonia/nitrate/ites to spike and can harm/kill your fish. If you have a siphon, you could do that and siphon the bottom out real well while getting out as much water as you can.

You can use a small cup, or the cup you got them in to scoop them out of the water to avoid stressing too much. Get them to the surface and the suction from the cup entering the water is normally enough to get them into the cup. It stresses all fish, but they calm down pretty easily once acclimated properly, and personally, some stress is better then having the burns and harming the fish in a much more deadly way.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #4 
Miyazawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
The recommended is 1 50% and 1 100% per week for both those sizes, unfiltered. Every other day 100% is too much, the tank can be "too clean" and the fish won't build up a healthy immune to different bacteria and such.

Instead of the 100% you can do 75, 80%. The main reason for the 100% is to get all the food and waste on the bottom out. Those will build up and will cause ammonia/nitrate/ites to spike and can harm/kill your fish. If you have a siphon, you could do that and siphon the bottom out real well while getting out as much water as you can.

You can use a small cup, or the cup you got them in to scoop them out of the water to avoid stressing too much. Get them to the surface and the suction from the cup entering the water is normally enough to get them into the cup. It stresses all fish, but they calm down pretty easily once acclimated properly, and personally, some stress is better then having the burns and harming the fish in a much more deadly way.
so what exactly should i do if i have a filter (tom internal filter) and an aqueon siphon for a 2 gallons?
Old 09-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #5 
Myates

1 50% water only change, and 1 50% substrate change. If you don't have a small siphon, then stir up the gravel and use a cup to dip it out.

Always use full dose of water conditioner for each change, regardless the % you change out.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:26 PM   #6 
Miyazawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
1 50% water only change, and 1 50% substrate change. If you don't have a small siphon, then stir up the gravel and use a cup to dip it out.

Always use full dose of water conditioner for each change, regardless the % you change out.
When you say substrate change you mean vacuum the gravel? Is it okay if i do 2 50% vacuum a week?
Old 09-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #7 
bahamut285

No, it is impossible to do "two 50%" changes and for it to equal 100%. Concentration doesn't work that way.

Imagine taking your calculator and dividing any number (except 0) by 2. Keep dividing, you will never get to 0, it will just keep getting smaller and smaller. It is the same with ammonia concentration, this is even excepting the fact that your fish will PRODUCE ammonia in the meantime. 100% water changes are the only way to remove it completely.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote