Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2011, 02:30 PM   #1 
revolutionrocknroll

Betta hasn't eaten yet

I just got a new betta fish about 3 weeks ago and he hasn't eaten yet. I have Aqueon Betta Food (pellets) and Tetra Freeze Dried Bloodworms.
In the past 3 weeks he's eaten maybe 2 blood worms, maybe he was really hungry from not eating.
I've heard that bettas can be picky, but I've never had a fish that refused to eat. Sometimes I'll push the food around and he'll hunt it, but then he'll spit it out.
Right now he's living in a 2.5 gallon bowl, and he's very healthy. He's brightly colored, active and curious, and builds bubble nests.
I don't know what could be wrong with him, I'm going to petco today to try to find different food, as well as some other things that I need to get for him. But I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what could be wrong.
revolutionrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #2 
HatsuneMiku

sometimes it takes a while .. maybe this will help (thread below) .. if he's active and looks healthy .. he should be ok .. just keep at it .. and try new foods

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=81220
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:54 PM   #3 
tf1265

Are you sure he's not eating? Do you take the food out of his tank if he doesn't eat it within a few minutes? It is odd behavior, but 3 weeks is a long time for a betta to go without eating. 1 week is about as long as they can go without eating, in my opinion, and still be "healthy." Mine sometimes spit food back out as well, but also take huge chunks of food (steals the bottom feeder pellets for my cories). It sounds like he's eating at least enough, it just might not be while you watch.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #4 
revolutionrocknroll

Yeah, he's definitely not eating. I usually take the food out after 15 minutes, and when I don't it's still floating at the top.
I went to buy some more food, but the woman working at petco wasn't very helpful. I bought my fish there so i asked her what they fed their fish. She showed me and then said something about them not selling it and that fish don't eat very much anyways. She said that after 30 days I can bring him back and replace him with another fish, but I would never bring my fish back to a store!
I'm going to buy new food, I'm wondering if I should buy flakes since he doesn't seem to like the pellets? Or maybe shrimp, since he did eat a couple of blood worms...
Old 09-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #5 
Reece

Yeah I agree with tf1265. All Bettas take different amount of times to decide to eat, it all depends on whether they're settle in or not. For example mine ate the first time I out his food in the tank, but yours is taking a while. I think that what tf has said will be right, he is probably eating while you're not looking to still remain in a healthy condition. I can't imagine that being possible after three weeks of not eating!! Haha.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #6 
Reece

Ah didn't see that post before I wrote. Yes buy some flakes and shrimp, my food system is to feed a few flakes twice a day, and in the evening on Monday and Friday give him tetra freeze dried bloodworms as treats. In your case, some shrimp would make a good treat too. Try feeding flakes first, as if you feed him shrimp, he may only want shrimp and will never touch flakes (possibly). Perhaps that's why he hasn't been eating, when you gave himthe bloodworms he could have liked them so much that he will only eat them... Any thoughts? I'm not an expert, this is more of an educated guess lol

Some Bettas are a lot more open to what they eat than others, some will act like little princes and only eat what they like the most and refuse everything else, or like my betta Daz will eat absolutely anything that touches the surface of the water!!!

Last edited by Reece; 09-26-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #7 
Kytkattin

Have you tried frozen bloodworms? It takes a strong fish to be able to not eat those!
If you have mosquitoes in your area you could try some larvae, especially since it sounds like he likes to hunt.
Live brine shrimp could also work.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

You might try soaking some pellets in garlic juice to make them more tasty.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #9 
revolutionrocknroll

He's definitely not eating. I put in two pellets this morning and they were still floating at the top when i got back this afternoon. He also won't eat the flakes or shrimp that I bought him. I have no idea what's going on with this fish. It's been almost a month, and he seems to be doing well, but he's starting to lose color so I'm getting worried. They don't have live food at the Petco near me and I don't know where else I could get it. I live in Vermont so I don't know where I would get it. I don't want him to die. :(
Old 09-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #10 
tf1265

Hmmm that's a tricky one. I've never dealt with a fish who just won't eat. I'm trying to figure out how to keep mine from overeating constantly (my platies will eat their food and then dive to the bottom and eat whole bottom feeder pellets!)

I might suggest feeding him less often so he's hungry, but at this point it's probably not a good idea to not feed him for a while.

Maybe it's something else that's causing him to not eat. No appetite is very often a sign of illness or some other cause of stress in fish, especially bettas.

Can you tell us more about his tank? There has got to be a reason he's not eating, so we need to dig a little deeper.

What size tank is he in, filter? heater? what is your maintenance/water change routine, did you cycle the tank, do you test your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH), if not can you take a sample to the pet store for free testing and report back as these are very telling numbers. Additionally, what kind of decor do you have, live or fake plants (if live, what kind), how many, etc.

I know it will be a lot of information to give, but we may come across something that is a red flag. After a month, it shouldn't take live food to get your betta to eat something.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote