Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #1 
TaylorW

Exclamation Mystery Fin Problem *Video*

Hello everyone! I haven't been on this forum in forever and I'd like to say hi to everyone although I wish it was under much better circumstances. Victor has this strange mystery fin hole that has been progressively getting worse for about... 2-3 months? No treatment has worked, and I'm at my wits end! Hole is an estimated half a centimeter in length and is white rimmed and spreading. Started as small pin hole with white bump that refused to heal. Spread was very slow at first, now rapidly picking up pace.

Video
View My Video

Housing

What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqua Culture Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 5-6 Pellets daily, no food on Saturdays

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 2-3 times a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat, API Ammo Lock (fins get more mystery pinholes without ammo lock)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Water not tested, but it doesn't matter if I keep my fish in the water at home or at school, same fin problems occur in water from two different places. Have tried filtered/bottled water as well.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins always curled, pinholes occur frequently, giant hole/wound rimmed with white and spreading on top/dorsal fin. Large wound an estimated half a centimeter long, started as small pin hole with funny white lump.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Fortunately, not at all
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Major fin hole: about 2-3 months ago, small pin holes/fin curling about... maybe half a year? I don't know, he's always had bad fins no matter what I've tried.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have tried the following treatments: Aquarium salt, Quick Cure (Formalin, Malachite Green mix), aquarium salt and/or Quick Cure baths, Furan-2 gram-positive & gram-negative (nitrofurazone and furazolidone), more water changes, different water.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes, ick when I first got him, possible Lymphocystis that went away, and his fins have always been prone to curling/pin holes.
How old is your fish (approximately)? about 1 and a half to 2 years

I got a good shot of what it looks like at the end of the video, I hope this is enough to help!
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome back...is this the same Betta that had Lymphocystis...thats what it looks like on his dorsal fin.......

I would back off on some of your water changes...no more than 1-100% a week with a 50% water only between...too clean can be as bad as too dirty and Bettas don't create as much ammonia as you may think.....you have both good and bad bacteria that are important for the Betta to be exposed to for healthy antibody development for the immune response and the added stress of all the water changes can compromise them as well....you could also try natural tannins from IAL or oak leaf to help toughen the scales/fins.....some Bettas will always have this problem and it can be more related to breeding/genetics than anything else and for the Lymphtocystis....there is no treatment..its viral and has to run its course...usually not fatal unless it impeded daily living........
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #3 
TaylorW

Long time no see (type? text?) Oldfishlady! Thanks for helping me out!!

Yes, it is the same fish that had the Lymphocystis (little trouble maker), but I am concerned because there is also a hole in the fin that is getting larger, and I'm worried about infection/finrot. Will the fin hole/wound make him sick or become infected?

The white part is worrisome, but watching his fin deteriorate away is what I'm really concerned about...

I'll try the less water changes and see if that helps him out any...Only one 100% a week, ok, I'll try that.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Its a balance...too many can be as bad as not enough....we are dealing with a little ecosystem but since its closed....we have to intervene some....but not too much and disrupt the balance of sorts...even in a small unfiltered tank....too clean and sterile will not support healthy life.......and too dirty...well we know what happens....lol......a balance......a single Betta doesn't excrete that much waste and urea and as long as you are removing uneaten food and not overfeeding you won't have bad bacteria problems related from fish food decomp since you don't have any live plants to take care of it....
Old 09-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #5 
TaylorW

Thanks Oldfishlady. I'll see how it goes with less major water changes, and maybe pick up some IAL extract or maybe some blackwater extract stuff. Would the bottled stuff at pet stores work the same as the oak leaf thing?
Old 09-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Honestly I don't know...I have never used any of those products, but watch/check the label- one of them has sodium chlorine (aquarium salt) added...not sure of the salinity level.....