betta fish

Old 09-26-2011, 08:56 PM   #1 
Micho

Something in his mouth?

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, Tetra 10i Whisper
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Nope.
Is your tank heated? Yessiree
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 5 Pygmy Cories

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta flakes, pellets, and bloodworms once in awhile as a treat.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once per day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once per week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrafin max.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? There's something in his mouth? Or something growing around it.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's mostly laying at the bottom of the tank now, only goes up for air.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today, when I got back home.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Nope.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not a clue.

^ Picture as you can see, there's something in his mouth? Or something around it? Not sure. D:

I might want to add I just found a pygmy cory dead and it was floating. Tested my water for ammonia and nitrate, both were at zero. ._______.; I'm pretty sure he didn't eat a pygmy cory. . Is it some sort of external parasite? D:

Last edited by Micho; 09-26-2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Picture didn't resize.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:00 PM   #2 
Smokey65662

Not sure but I think they can get a fungus around their mouth. I would assume you would start with the conservative salt treatment, unless told otherwise by someone more experienced. I'm still learning, but I wanted to at least reply with my thoughts so you had some imput for the time being. I hope he gets better :/
Smokey65662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #3 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey65662 View Post
Not sure but I think they can get a fungus around their mouth. I would assume you would start with the conservative salt treatment, unless told otherwise by someone more experienced. I'm still learning, but I wanted to at least reply with my thoughts so you had some imput for the time being. I hope he gets better :/
Thanks for the fast reply, can anyone else confirm it's a fungus infection? D: I didn't think fungus could happen in the mouth.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:09 PM   #4 
Leeniex

I googled mouth fungus and it looks similar from what I could see.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #5 
Micho

Okay I guess. . I'll start treating with AQ salt.

I'll float him in my 10 gallon because my 0.8 QT tank will get fried if I try to heat it.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:50 PM   #6 
Micho

Do I lower the temperature when treating for this? Or should I raise it?
Old 09-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #7 
Leeniex

I hope it's not this....does it look cottony?

Columnaris
•Symptoms: White spots on mouth, edges of scales and fins, Cottony Growth that eats away at the mouth, Fins rapidly disingrate, starting at the edges
Gray areas around head and gills, As the disease progresses the gray lesions may change in color to yellow/brown/red, Lesions often occur in front of the dorsal causing a “saddleback” appearance, Lethargic, Loss of appetite, Clamped, Gasping for air
•Treatment: There are 2 versions of Columnaris: chronic and acute. Chronic Columnaris can take days to progress while acute can kill within a day. It is contagious so isolate sick fish. If more than one fish shows symptoms then treat the entire tank. Perform daily 100% water change in small tanks or ¾ water change in larger tanks. Make sure to clean the gravel. Treat with Aq.Salt: add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Do NOT raise the temperature as it thrives in temps over 85*F, however, lowering the temperature does not seem to help fight it. Combine salt treatment with Mardel’s Coppersafe, Maracyn I & II, API Erythromycin, OR API Triple Sulfa, combined with Jungle’s Fungus Eliminator (if possible).
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #8 
Micho

Definitely not Columnaris, actually relieved for that. It's probably a fungal infection then, I've put him in my 0.8 gallon QT tank, I'll do salt treatment, hopefully he'll improve, if not I'll have to go out and buy some heavy weaponry (medicine).
Old 09-26-2011, 10:32 PM   #9 
Smokey65662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
Do I lower the temperature when treating for this? Or should I raise it?
AFAIK its always good to raise it (78-82 degrees). They are tropical fish and naturally live in warm water. The warm water increases his activeness and immune system I believe. The cold water does just the opposite. I would say keep it nice and warm for him (~82)

*I saw that it thrives in warm water (above 85) so I would keep it at 78-80 so mr.fishy has an active immune system
Smokey65662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:42 PM   #10 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey65662 View Post
AFAIK its always good to raise it (78-82 degrees). They are tropical fish and naturally live in warm water. The warm water increases his activeness and immune system I believe. The cold water does just the opposite. I would say keep it nice and warm for him (~82)

*I saw that it thrives in warm water (above 85) so I would keep it at 78-80 so mr.fishy has an active immune system
I have a crappy Submersible Marina 10w heater that I put it in, that thing barely works and puts my 2 gallon around 76F. So I think it should raise the QT tank to around the low 80s. I'll monitor this closely, hopefully it does burn him alive.