Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2011, 04:07 AM   #11 
Ballerinagrl26

I havnt put any more bettafix at all since cleaning him, but like i said i only did a 50% water change. Should i do a complete water change tomorrow? Also, he is just sinking right after he freaks out trying to get air. that is the big problem that he cant get any air at all! He isnt bloated or floating nothing like that. The only other thing is that he had fin rot and that was starting to get better before this breathing thing happened. I noticed that he had some red lines on his gills but i am not sure if they are just part of his coloring because he is red and blue. I just wanna try to get him better or at least make him feel better. I dont want him to suffocate to death ! that is just a horrible way to die! It hurts to see my little buddy suffering and i cant do anything at all to ease it!
Ballerinagrl26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #12 
Myates

Poor guy =(
I would recommend putting him in a smaller container with 3-4 inches of water. Use water conditioner and keep him warm. If the fin rot is still there I would use 1 tsp per gallon of Aquarium Salt, 100% daily water changes for 10-14 days.
Just make sure it is actual fin rot.. missing fin doesn't always mean fin rot.
Wish you luck and the best.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #13 
Pataflafla

I highly recommend Myates advice and also doing a 100% change on his tank whether you let him stay in it for now or not.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #14 
Ballerinagrl26

please anymore suggestions please! im heading to the store now to get an air stone for him and i am planning on changing his water again today and im gonna do a 100% change and put just conditioner in the water.

what else should i put in there to help him? he is seriously not getting any better, just worse and worse. its killing me to watch him suffer like this!
Old 09-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #15 
Pataflafla

It sounds like he just needs clean water and time.

If you don't already have aquarium salt, I recommend getting it since it can take care of a lot of external problems. Epsom salt is also a recommendation since it can help with internal.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #16 
Ballerinagrl26

im gonna get him the stone and the salt now. how much would i mix with the water since it is a 2.5 gallon tank? I am horrible at measuring things like that out. Also, would i just do a complete water change and mix the salt in then? should i let the water sit for a while before adding him back into the water? should i just keep him in the little bowl and add the water from the clean tank in then?
Old 09-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #17 
Pataflafla

Take him out of his tank and do a 100% water change. The water you add in should only have dechlorinator and aquarium salt. For now, only fill his tank up half way so he can get to the surface easier.

Since the tank will only be half full of water, mix in 1 to 1.5 teaspoons of aquarium salt. It's easiest to do this if you have a separate cup, to measure it out into the cup and take some clean tank water. Swish it around until there are no more salt crystals before adding it to the tank.

After the salt is added, acclimate your boy to the temperature of the tank and then gently add him. Keep the tank dark so he can rest and take it easy.

Try to get as little of the water he's in from his old tank into his new tank.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:53 PM   #18 
Ballerinagrl26

will this salt help with his breathing? or is this just gonna help his fins? I dont wanna take him out and stress him more if this isnt going to help his breathing at all. Poor little guy wont even move anymore. he really looks like hes going to die soon.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:40 PM   #19 
Ballerinagrl26

I just did a 100% water change. I added the 1 teaspoon of the aquarium salt. I did as you mentioned. I let the crytals disolve before adding it in the tank. I only filled his tank 1/2 way to make it easier for him to reach the top. i cleaned the gravel completely to wash away any of the old water particles. and his fake plant i rinsed with hot water as well. the temp was exactly the same. i made sure the water was exactly 78 as it was before i took him out. so i prevented the water temp shock. i will keep an eye on him overnight. i have his light on now but if he starts to get stressed i will shut it off.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #20 
youlovegnats

Sounds good. Keep us updated!

AQ salt will help with the fins and any other external problem- won't help with gill movement.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help betta fish, sick betta