Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #1 
Findlay

Unhappy Help! Betta 911!!

I need some help, asap!! I've been fortunate to have healthy bettas, but it seems one of my guys isn't doing so well... I'm scared for him!

Housing
What size is your tank? *he's in a temporary 1gal
What temperature is your tank? *roughly 78F
Does your tank have a filter? *not in the temp tank
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? *no
Is your tank heated? *not the temp tank
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? *none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? *pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? *once per day, a few pellets

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? *daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? *100
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? *conditioner

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? *recently began tail biting due to being in a divided tank
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? *right now - he's being very lethargic
When did you start noticing the symptoms? *just now!!
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? *he's been having 100% WC every day
Does your fish have any history of being ill? * no, never!
How old is your fish (approximately)? *I have no clue - I've had him for about 3 months... so maybe 9 months?

SOOOOO - he is normally very active and silly, but I just noticed him acting odd. He is hanging around the top of his tank, kind of 'pointing' towards the ceiling... I'm so worried!!! I did his WC and everything is perfect as far as water chemistry... could it be he is old? I mean, I got him from Petco in July this yr. Could it be something unfixable?? I need help!!! AHHHG

Thanks in advance <3
Findlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #2 
fightergirl2710

Does he have any other symptoms? Heavy breathing or bloat? Try doing a partial water change (50%) and see if it helps.
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:11 PM   #3 
Findlay

His breathing looks to be slower, no bloating. His fins are clamped. He's never acted like this before :*(
Old 09-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #4 
fightergirl2710

I think you should try a water change first. You'll be surprised how many times the culprit is the water. Sometimes one can forget conditioner or something so always a good idea. If he's still acting funny, maybe you can put up a pic?
And 100% water changes everyday seems a bit much, it might be stressing him out. Maybe do it every alternate day? Although, I'm guessing you're doing it as QT so its understandable. :) What were his conditions like in the permanent tank?
Old 09-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #5 
Findlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightergirl2710 View Post
I think you should try a water change first. You'll be surprised how many times the culprit is the water. Sometimes one can forget conditioner or something so always a good idea. If he's still acting funny, maybe you can put up a pic?
And 100% water changes everyday seems a bit much, it might be stressing him out. Maybe do it every alternate day? Although, I'm guessing you're doing it as QT so its understandable. :) What were his conditions like in the permanent tank?
I did a WC (100%) a few hours ago, conditioner added. One of my other fishies got the leftover 'new' water, and he's acting perfectly normal.
His permanent tank is a divided 10gal (5/5), heated, filtered, never had any problems there. I had him in a 10gal that was divided twice (3.5/3.5/3.5) which is what caused him to stress and tail-bite, prompting me to put him in QT. I don't think the tail biting and this current issue are related - it's been a about 4 days that he's been in QT.
The more I'm researching (like a madman!!) the more I'm thinking this is swim bladder related?
I attached two pics from a few minutes ago.
And thanks for responding
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #6 
fightergirl2710

He does look like he has SBD. You could try epsom salt. 1tsp/gallon and see if it gets better in a few days. He isn't bloated so I don't think fasting or anything is necessary. Also lower the water to 3-4 inches, he'll be able to go for air more easily that way. Put in some decor he can hang around on so he wont get tired.
And you're welcome. :)
Old 09-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #7 
Findlay

Ok - will do!!

With the epsom salt, should I keep up with 100% WC daily? I've had him in AQ salt in the past... just wondering if the care procedures were similar.
What causes SBD? :/
Old 09-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #8 
fightergirl2710

Everyday is fine but I would start with 50% and then slowly increase WCs. Just to not stress him out. The procedure is similar to AQ yes but epsom doesn't cause harm even if left more than 2 weeks or so.
SBD can be caused by a lot of things. Too much eating, stress or shock, infection of the SB, genetics etc.. So iits hard to say really. :/
Old 09-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #9 
Findlay

Oh, alright. Well I'll give him extra-extra-extra tlc and hope for the best!

Thanks again!!!
Old 09-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #10 
fightergirl2710

Good luck! :D

Tags
floating, lethargic, sick