Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2011, 10:25 PM   #1 
ilovemybetta39

Exclamation I don't know whats wrong with my betta :'(

I have a female betta thats not even six months old. She used to be very energetic and love to eat, but i don't think she has eaten anything in about 6-8 days. I feed her one or two flakes because i dont want it to sit, but she never even eats those! Her color is very dull, and at certain angles in light she looks white almost. Like she has no color at all. Her scales on one side are not normal, they look scraped in a way. She rarely swims only when I try and wake her. She sits at the very surface of the water on a rock, and doesnt move... at all, morning and nigh shes in the same spot. Her fins are kind of clamped also. I dont know what to do. I clean her tank once a week and try to take care of her the best I can.

I have betta medication called bettafix, it says it heals damaged fins and skin. I've used this on a previous betta of mine but three days later it died. I really don't want to lose my francine ):

Anything I should/can do? What might this be?

PLEASE HELP!
ilovemybetta39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:34 PM   #2 
iloveengl

:(

I'm sorry your little girl is sick.

Can you tell us what size tank she is in. Is it filtered? How much of the water do you change each week? What temperature is the tank - is it heated?

What kind of decor is in the tank? Any tankmates?

Can you post a picture of her?
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:48 PM   #3 
ilovemybetta39

She's in a little under 2 gallon tank, so not big. I have a filter but I haven't installed it yet, I just got it. I don't have a heater though. She has a plastic plant that is in a corner and then a cave like rock that she sits upon. She has alot of area to swim though still. When I clean her tank, i usually change all the water. It gets cloudy after just a week. I have the betta solution for it and everything though.

I'm trying send the picture to my computer, its not working though.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:17 PM   #4 
ilovemybetta39

It wouldn't upload a picture, but it kind of looks like a really really thin layer of mold on her sides. but its transparent. and you can only see it if you look from a birds eye view, if you look straight on at her level she seems normal except her one side scales.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #5 
iloveengl

Bump. Sorry, I'm not certain what her condition could be. Doesn't sound like she has the decor to scrape herself on....

For healing purposes, I'd say get her into some warm water (in the 80 degree range) and increase your weekly water changes.

Cool water will make a tropical fish such as bettas appear dull and sluggish, so perhaps that has a part in her behavior. :-/
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #6 
ilovemybetta39

thanks :/ i tried to research it more, and some of her symptoms are of chilodonella? Thats the closest thing I could find. I changed her water today and installed the filter. She's still just sitting at the top of the water though.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

small picture yes, but this is what you think it is? that is "chilodonella"

and the next one is scraped scales, often from a plant, or even rocks, or from other fish. The betta's missing fin is from another fish., but excuse that :p

I have found a site that has lots of betta diseases... http://itsjustbetta.blogspot.com/201...-diseases.html

and like the other person said, first step is getting her into warm water :)
Attached Images

Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #8 
ilovemybetta39

Its not as dramatic as the first picture. its just a slimy look coat around her body, very thin though. nothing thick or that i could like scrape off or anything. But im 95 percent positive she has scraped scales going off of that picture
Old 09-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #9 
ilovemybetta39

Picture of my betta francince

One photo is looking straight in at her, There she looks semi okay. Her color isn't as it looks in different light. In that picture she is just sitting at the surface, which is is continuing to do.

The other two, are the way her scales look in different light. You can see like a murky white layer around her. She never used to look like that.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #10 
ilovemybetta39

. if you move the water around her she starts moving her fins and changes position.

i also tried feeding her, and she looked at it and swam the complete opposite direction.

Last edited by bearwithfish; 09-28-2011 at 10:23 PM. Reason: removed reference to previous post

Tags
diseases