Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2011, 11:27 PM   #1 
MistersMom

How do i do it????

I would like to breed my female and male... he's so gorgeous. and she's...well...she's bleh. im not fond of her because she killed my other male -.- ... my favorite male. because my mom and sis, but thts not the point. point is... i want BABIES!!!! and how do i gt the food stuff for them?
okay thats all pleas reply.ive attempted once already... but the didn't do IT! they just faught for a few hours. she was full of eggs and stripey and he had a bubble nest and everything. but nooooo they didnt want babies.*.*
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #2 
Myates

Yeah... no. lol sorry hun but you need a lot, and a lot of money to properly breed them. You'll need a spawn tank, something in the lines of 20 gallons at least. A grow out tank as well so they can grow bigger.. as well as you will need to have MANY many containers and such to hold them once they get big enough and start chasing each other. You will need to heat every one of them. (Expect a BIG jump in electric bill when you do, which your parents may not like).
They require different foods for different stages as well, you need to either prepare the first ones on your own that can take a few weeks, or spend money and try to find someone who does and order it from them. Microworms, infusoria, newly hatched brine shrimp and vinegar eels. The fry need live food.
You can't just throw a male and female in together and expect them to mate. It's all up to them, and it can take a couple weeks to get them properly conditioned and ready/healthy to mate. Just putting the two in together will lead to problems such as you just experienced.
Breeding bettas cost a couple hundred dollars at least, a lot of knowledge, a lot of time, and room. It's not something you can just up and do and expect it to work and not have hundreds of little deaths. Even with the proper set up, expect there to be losses.

Last edited by Myates; 10-04-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #3 
1fish2fish

Judging by your other thread it sounds like you need to focus on acquiring proper heating and housing for the fish you already have and save breeding for when you are financially stable.
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #4 
MistersMom

WOW! i didnt knwo it was that hard! forget it. lol. she'll probably kill my male anyway. welp you can all post your experiences here.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #5 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistersMom View Post
I would like to breed my female and male..

im not fond of her because she killed my other male -.- ... my favorite male.

point is... i want BABIES!!!!

ive attempted once already... but the didn't do IT! they just faught for a few hours. she was full of eggs and stripey and he had a bubble nest and everything. but nooooo they didnt want babies.*.*
1) NEVER, I repeat, NEVER just throw in two bettas and expect them to breed. EVER.

2) You need to properly house your remaining bettas before you even think about breeding. Don't even whisper the words.

3) Just because you "want" fry doesn't mean you should have them.

4) Of course they didn't spawn! You need proper set-ups, proper heat, proper food, proper vegetation- all of which you have none.

5) Just because he made a nest and she has stripes does not give you permission to just throw them together. I'm sorry but I really think you need to just read more and stop making actions that will only further harm your fish and eventually yourself.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #6 
MistersMom

yea... i thot all i needed was a ten gal, and they needed seperate tanks, this isnt for this point in time either i tried it a long time ago, i wanted to attempt it sometime in the future again, and give all my friends some. i don't plan on breeding them anytime soon i just wanted to know how for when i do want to.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #7 
MistersMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Judging by your other thread it sounds like you need to focus on acquiring proper heating and housing for the fish you already have and save breeding for when you are financially stable.
Posted via Mobile Device

YEP! i know this, i plan on making dividers sometime soon. and then i will have 2 empty tanks. nd i planned on doing this in the future, months from now, maybe a year.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #8 
youlovegnats

I suggest reading through other breeding threads (of know and successful breeders) such as Cajunamy and Mr. Vampire for more knowledge.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #9 
MistersMom

okay. thank you.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have to agree with 1fish2fish and youlovegnats. I'm glad you changed your mind about breeding right now. Do lots of research, as much as your brain can hold, lol, and then you'll be ready in a year or so.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote