Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2011, 06:12 AM   #1 
titusthebetta

Exclamation Heating Solution

So I've had Claude for almost two days, and we bought one heater that never worked. When we went to Petco to get the one I wanted, they told us that it never came in their shipment after they promised us that it was. So in the meantime, I've ordered a heater off Amazon, but I have so many problems trying to maintain a decent heat in my tank.

Here's my predicament: I'm at college, in a very old dorm that is COLD. Yesterday I kept a lamp over Claude's tank and it managed to keep the water temp around 74-75, but still not where it should be. This morning when I woke up to check on him, the temp was down to 70 (I turned the lamp off). Is there any way I can heat the tank sans heater for a few days? Will the lamp be enough? Should I have a friend run me to the store today to get another one in the meantime?
titusthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #2 
regalesse

incandescent and halogen make for good buld choices to heat with. incandescent bulbs are relatively cheap and will run in any desk lamp. i would go that route till you get the heater you want. i am using halogen to heat my 2 gallon hex. it was cheaper than the heater, that is comming in soon as a quick fix and temporary solution
regalesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #3 
HatsuneMiku

you could try setting up a blow dryer .. on low .. and aim it at the tank with his lid off .. assuming your dorm-mate doesn't mind the extra noise

or a heating blanket .. wrap it around the tank

or one of those portable dish room heater things (some look like toasters with those coil things) .. set it near the tank

or a pocket warmer pouch .. =)
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote