Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #11 
1fish2fish

Just let it sit. It'll settle and clear. I have ADA amazonia mixed with some other stuff in my sorority and since I just switched it to a 29 I had to wait for it to clear. You can do water changes and run a filter with a lot of sponge in it to help but the only thing that's going to work is time. Eventually the dust will settle to the bottom of the tank and it won't be such a hassle to do water changes.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:49 PM   #12 
Sakura8

Aurasoulful, I was thinking of using Eco-Complete with some sand on top when I go to plant my larger tanks. Even if I wasn't having this problem with the ADA Amazonia, I can't afford to use it in anything larger than a 3g. This stuff is crazy expensive!

1Fish2Fish, thank you for letting me know about your experience with ADA Amazonia. I just did another water change and it's gone from cloudy to hazy, so we're moving in the right direction. Ammonia did go up to 1.0ppm before the water change so I'll have to keep an eye on that. It might be a few weeks before my poor betta gets to move back in.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:09 AM   #13 
1fish2fish

Eco complete does best when not mixed with anything. I wouldn't sand cap eco complete because it's not designed to work that way.

I bought my ADA used so I didn't experience the ammonia spike, well, that and I was cycling the tank anyways.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:21 PM   #14 
Sakura8

1fish, do you have any experience with sand capping Seachem Fluorite?
Old 09-30-2011, 07:40 PM   #15 
1fish2fish

Nope. I'm actually not a big fan of sand. I did have a tank that had sand capped with fluorite which wasn't so bad but it wasn't a planted tank so it was kinda useless. It came with the tank and I have a problem with needing to find a use for everything so I kept it.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #16 
Sakura8

I wouldn't use sand either except I have cories and I'd feel better if they had the sand to scamper across. Otherwise, yeah, love gravel. So much easier to clean.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #17 
1fish2fish

Most people I've talked to say cories do just fine on ecocomplete or fluorite. My sorority is a mixture of fluorite and ADA and I'll be putting cories in there once it's established.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:33 PM   #18 
Sakura8

Okay, great. That's really helpful to know, 1fish. Thanks so much. When I first got into fishkeeping, I had no idea there were so many choices for substrate. I thought it was the neon colored gravel or nothin'. XD

By the way, should I not bother adding any fertilizers till the tank has cleared up?
Old 10-01-2011, 12:05 AM   #19 
Sakura8

I just did an experiment to see if Amazonia would cloud up if I capped with something. I got a small kritter keeper and put some Amazonia soil down with some pea gravel on top and filled it. The water still looked cloudy but then I realized my fatal mistake: the darn plastic kritter keeper is so scratched up, I wouldn't know if it was cloudy inside or not! *pulls hair*
Old 10-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #20 
aurasoulful

How's your tank today Sakura? I hope it's clearing up. Do you have a filter running?
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote