Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2011, 09:23 PM   #1 
Ri7e

Question My betta sick?

Hi everyone, I thought betta was an easy type of fish to have but turn out there is so much more than what the dude at the pet shop said. I had one betta that die after 1 year (didn't take good care of it...) and now I bought another one. The one right now eats all the good I gave him and gets exited when I enter the room (guess he wants the food). What I notice is that his fin does not open anymore and he got some white stuff his head. I would upload some picture in the attachment to see if he is still in a healthy state. I thank you for your help and I will try my best to give this one at least 2 years of lifetime.
Attached Images

Ri7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #2 
Silverfang

Ah yes, bettas are so easy... at least that's what the pet store people tell us. In order for us to better diagnose your boy, can you answer as many of these questions as possible? I'm just guessing, but he's probably in need of more frequent water changes.

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:34 PM   #3 
Ri7e

ok i'll try my best..

Housing
tank size - around 5 Litter (pretty small)
temperature - no idea
no filter
no aeration or whatsoever
no heat
he lives alone

Food
pellet food from Hikari Betta Bio-Gold
Feed around 3-5 pellet twice a day

Maintenance
Change the water completely in an interval of 7-9 days
Add conditioner called Nutrafin Betta plus from Hagen

Didn't test the water

Symptoms
The fins don't open up anymore but he still swims here and there, stay immobile sometime for a while. It swims super fast when I get around it. Still he eats all the food I gave him. His body tend to slide down on the tail part whenever he's immobile. I'll take a picture of the fish tank when I have time, it is fairly tiny: 13cm x 12 cm x 12 cm (length, width and height).
Old 09-28-2011, 05:41 AM   #4 
Silverfang

I recognize the tank, it's one of the .5 deco kits. Most people would suggest something larger, 2.5gal is what most people on this site will recommend. For now I suggest upping his water changes. In something that small, minimum would be one 100% and one 50% change, for that small 2 100% changes a week wouldn't hurt.

As for the food, you might want to cut back a bit 2-3 pellets twice a day is plenty. Their stomach is about the size of their eye.

You mentioned you didn't know what temperature it was, you need a thermometer! Depending on where you live, a heater. However a heater for something that tiny is problematic. Bettas are tropical, 78-80 degrees is what they like. Anything about mid 70's will work.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:34 AM   #5 
Myates

Welcome to the forums, sorry your little guy isn't doing so well.
I agree with Silverfang. For that tank size, I would be doing 100% water changes every two days. The food, 4-6 pellets a day is about the normal of what they should be eating. Heat is a must, but in that tank any heater will fry him. Even in a 1 gallon it's tough to get a good heat source, but still possible. A heater for a 1-3 gallon is roughly $12 if you look up online for mini heaters such as mini heater
It's hard to tell with the pics, but it looks like he is making extra slime coat. As well as some ammonia burning from the infrequent water changes. They create extra slime coat at times when they are fighting off something, such as bad bacteria, etc. Up the water changes per week to what we had recommended, feed a little less per day and you should see an improvement in him.
If it's lack of funds, you can get a 2-3 gallon kritter keeper cheaper then what that little tank had cost. Petco sells 2 gallon ones for $8, Walmart has some 1 gallons with a light and filter for $10-12. But if you wish to keep that container, just up the water changes, add in a plant or a couple. They do better in medium to heavily planted aquariums with some sort of place to hide in, a small cave of sorts. Even a coffee cup works. Just don't over fill in that container since it is small.
Wish you the best, and luck. Hope he lives 5-7 years for you, 2 is a little short ;) Let us know if he gets worse, or you have any other questions.

Last edited by Myates; 09-28-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:09 AM   #6 
trilobite

Step number one = get him heat.
This should be priority number one...unless of ciurse you live in a tropical country

Try lowering his water level down to a few inches so he doesnt hve t struggle to get air. I'd also get some salt to put in.

Huge water changes can stress them out especially 100%. Being chased with a net, removed and put into completely new water with different parameters would cause alot of stress, especially for an animal that bases his whole life around his territory, being constantly removed and not allowing them to set up their own territory can cause them distress.

Instead use an airline hose/tube thing, stick one end in his tank and suck the other end. Before the water hits your mouth, stop sucking and point the end into a bucket.
This will suck out water and you can just pour in the clean water.
If I was you I'd do small water changes but often, maybe a third of water every 3 days or something.

Good luck!
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #7 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobite View Post
Step number one = get him heat.
This should be priority number one...unless of ciurse you live in a tropical country

Try lowering his water level down to a few inches so he doesnt hve t struggle to get air. I'd also get some salt to put in.

Huge water changes can stress them out especially 100%. Being chased with a net, removed and put into completely new water with different parameters would cause alot of stress, especially for an animal that bases his whole life around his territory, being constantly removed and not allowing them to set up their own territory can cause them distress.

Instead use an airline hose/tube thing, stick one end in his tank and suck the other end. Before the water hits your mouth, stop sucking and point the end into a bucket.
This will suck out water and you can just pour in the clean water.
If I was you I'd do small water changes but often, maybe a third of water every 3 days or something.

Good luck!
You need more water changes then that in a container that small. 1/3 every 3 days is going to lead to this same problem. Use the small cup you got them from to scoop them out instead of a net, it's less stressful. But most definitely do 100% water changes every other day to every 2 days. The ammonia build up in that size is quick and deadly....
And usually the "territory" thing is fine with them.. in fact, changing their homes by either changing around the deco, or replacing it actually helps some issues such as tail biting. Rather have a healthy fish then let them get sick and die because you don't want to move a plant.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #8 
trilobite

I'm not a fan of 100% water changes, I prefer siphoning since its less stress. I've had fish in 2 litre tanks for years, no illness and with regular water changes without removing the fish and completely changing water.
While I see your point about ammonia build up, I dont believe its necessary to further stress an already sick fish, especially when the problem can be solved without constantly taking the fish out of its environment.
Simply suck out poo and uneaten food along with a decent amount of water on a regular basis, since amonnia and nitrate build up is also caused by decomposition and overcrowding.
A floating plant could also be added if your really keen, they take in nitrates.

I agree that changing their environment with a heathly fish is a good thing to keep them alert and interested in their surroundings, but not every few days or so.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #9 
Ri7e

Whao, i did not know i needed to change water that often.. That is going to be a pretty challenging dedication since i have school and work. I would consider buying a larger tank for him. If anybody would be so kind to post links of affordable price tank?
Old 10-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #10 
Ri7e

Hey guys... I changed water more often and I left the change water in a bowl to adapt to the room temperature before changing. On the other hand, my fish didn't seem to get any better :( the lower part of its mouth is getting white so is the lower fin. It looks like it's a bit inflated also on the lower part. Please provide me with some indication of how to cure it, I really don't want it to die... It still eats everything I gave him but I want his original colour back!