Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2011, 11:28 PM   #1 
HatsuneMiku

what !! when did petco do this?

http://www.petco.com/product/113290/...t=OnSiteSearch

when did petco do this whole price increase thing ?! i hate this .. now they are gonna drive up the prices at LFS .. grrrr u petco!!

30 dollars regular price for a king betta .. O_o .. they used to be 7.99 .. what's up with that !!

care instructions say ... 1g+ ... for a king betta .. really? .. *facepalm*
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:23 AM   #2 
elijahfeathers

The oldest betta I own is a petco kind... and I did shell out 23 bucks for him. >> Calder is just a slightly beefy plakat, however. Some petco kings seem to have some giant in them... but it really seems to just be the name for PKs there. (I'd never seen a PK before so I was thrilled when I found Calder)

~Elijah
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:31 AM   #3 
GreenTea

Only giant halfmoon plakats are that much, and the ones at my store are 19.99. Compared to the 40 -250 dollars you'd shell out for a giant on aquabid, it's actually pretty cheap.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:15 AM   #4 
Dragonlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatsuneMiku View Post
...when did ***** do this whole price increase thing ?! i hate this .. now they are gonna drive up the prices at LFS .. grrrr u *****!!what's up with that !!... *facepalm*
I don't know when they did it. I'm sure there was a very good reason.
I am fairly certain that the largest bettas sold there are not just old plakat. Most of the bettas sold as halfmoons there do seem to be breeder's culls, but their larger varieties are much nicer than they were a few years ago. I must admit that I have seen a few rare "diamonds in the rough" there occasionally just waiting for some betta nerd like me to take home to appreciate... as a pet.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:19 AM   #5 
GreenTea

Yeah if you look at the amazing salamander giants I have in my albums, both were from petco and one is 4 inches long and they are super vigorous and healthy.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:37 AM   #6 
elijahfeathers

Well, I wish my petco would stock real giants or half giants. The local ones around me have kigs, but like I said... it's just the label they use for PKs here. (similarly, my local petsmarts label all the PKs as dragons... even ones without dragon scaling...)
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #7 
HatsuneMiku

i think i'm going to give up on chain store fishies .. i'd rather support my LFS with my money .. even if the one i love is an hr drive away
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #8 
GreenTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatsuneMiku View Post
i think i'm going to give up on chain store fishies .. i'd rather support my LFS with my money .. even if the one i love is an hr drive away

Good for you :) Supporting local business is always best! There are a few breeders from the USA on aquabid as well.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #9 
quyllur

Hey if having them cost a little more makes people actually stop and think before they buy them, then I'm all for it. One of the things that makes people stick a betta in a tiny bowl is that when/if it dies, you go out and buy another for $5, no big deal.
quyllur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #10 
Vanah

Quote:
Originally Posted by quyllur View Post
Hey if having them cost a little more makes people actually stop and think before they buy them, then I'm all for it. One of the things that makes people stick a betta in a tiny bowl is that when/if it dies, you go out and buy another for $5, no big deal.
This.

Really any living animal priced cheaply in a pet store pisses me off. The scenario of the kid who just got their $10 allowance running into the petstore to buy a bowl and a golfish or a small kritter keeper and a hamster is far too real.
Vanah is offline   Reply With Quote