Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #1 
Reece

10 gallon cube

Hey everyone! Looked at Daz in his tank earlier today and couldn't help but feel that he seems lonely... I know it's their nature but I'd hate to be on my own for ages and ages and ages. My tank is a 10 gallon semi-cube (L 36.5cm, W 26cm and H 35cm). I say semi-cube because it looks like a cube but when measured isn't Anyway, what fish do you think I can get to go with him in that type of tank area? The substrate is gravel, there is a cave to hide inside of, there is a large plastic log thing they can go inside of, and there are two artificial plants. (Although the betta likes to sleep in the cave, so I'm not sure they would be able to claim that lol). Daz is extremely friendly, I can literally stroke him and he shows no aggression. I think I would have to get an airstone though, as the only source of water airation is the filter pump, and that is too strong for Daz so I had to switch it off. (it's not adjustable, trust me I tried). Give the decorations, substrate, lack of aeration, dimensions of tank, and the fact that Daz is already inside the tank. What can I get??? lol.

Below are pictures of the two hiding spots and also the whole tank. (with daz inside). The tire cave is where Daz likes to be in...

Also want to add that I'd prefer fish to things like shrimp, but if they're the only way to go for a tankmate for Daz then I'm willing to try them. :D
Attached Images

Last edited by Reece; 09-28-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #2 
Larsa

Live plants and toys are nice for fish entertainment! I prefer skinny plants and purposely stick the roots out ( they love to play with them! ). Bettas also like legos, plastic spoons, leaf hammocks, ping pong balls, corks, and mirrors! Keeps bettas busy so they dont get so bored.

I use a whisper filter by Tetra which makes literally no sound and is gentle on fish. It keeps my dragon baby's tank crystal clear! Your decorations look fine but more is always an option! Looks like maybe a few more plants could be added to help cycle your tank and make it look fuller.

If you wanna add other fish make sure they are tropical fish. Your betta doesnt sound too territorial but he could switch if another fish enters his territory. I think maybe tetras, small corydoras, glass fish, snails, and ghost shrimp would be good tankmates. I have seen mollys get along well with bettas, but they can poop too much causing ammonia to spike 0.o I wouldnt recommend anything that looks similar to another male betta! LOL

Last edited by Larsa; 09-28-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #3 
Reece

Plants aren't real haha. I like the idea of a ping pong ball too! I'm thinking of getting ghost shrimp (in the past 5 mins I've been doing heavy searching lol), I just wanna know if they need to have oxygenated water. Probably sounds quite dumb :L
Old 09-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #4 
Reece

To be honest I don't think I'll get any more creatures for my tank, but I've got some money spare so after school tomorrow I'll pop to my LFS and get some new plants for him. Like you said they have some nice long and thin ones there, maybe a couple of those, I need to fill up the gaps haha. Make it look like a home
Old 09-28-2011, 05:03 PM   #5 
Micho

The thing with light plants is that most of them require special lighting (6500k fluorescent bulbs), and require 10 ~ 12 hours of light per day, along with fertilizers (root tabs/liquid). If you're willing to spend money on those, go ahead and get yourself some plants.

But if you don't, you only have a limited variation of plants to choose from. Low-light plants include: Water sprite, marimo moss balls, java fern, java moss, duckweed, and anacharis. There are probably some other plants that can do okay in low light situations but not thrive.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #6 
Bambi

The new plants and toys seem like fine ideas. ^_^

i'm thinking of getting a snail or two as tank mates for a couple of my bettas because i like them ><
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #7 
hmckin20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsa View Post
Live plants and toys are nice for fish entertainment! I prefer skinny plants and purposely stick the roots out ( they love to play with them! ). Bettas also like legos, plastic spoons, leaf hammocks, ping pong balls, corks, and mirrors! Keeps bettas busy so they dont get so bored.

I use a whisper filter by Tetra which makes literally no sound and is gentle on fish. It keeps my dragon baby's tank crystal clear! Your decorations look fine but more is always an option! Looks like maybe a few more plants could be added to help cycle your tank and make it look fuller.

If you wanna add other fish make sure they are tropical fish. Your betta doesnt sound too territorial but he could switch if another fish enters his territory. I think maybe tetras, small corydoras, glass fish, snails, and ghost shrimp would be good tankmates. I have seen mollys get along well with bettas, but they can poop too much causing ammonia to spike 0.o I wouldnt recommend anything that looks similar to another male betta! LOL

oh man, this is awesome! i had no idea they liked things like that. now i have a bunch of fun ideas for my betta! thanks for the post (:

i'm of no help on this thread but your tank is awesome.
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote