Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #1 
Hobbesk

New Betta, New Fish owner with some questions.

It all started when my wife decided the kids needed a pet. So the likely, low maintenance pet was a fish. Off to the PetSmart they went. Came back with a small half-moon betta in a small 1/4 gallon "betta home". Her reasoning was, the pet store people said it was a low maintenance fish, didn't need anything and change water once a month.

I have enough sense to know that no living creature you care for are "low maintenance", so off to Google I went. Low and behold. After arguing with my wife about the "low maintenance" pet, off to PetSmart I went and came back with:

10G TopFin Delux with filter, heater.
Floating thermometer
Colored Gravel
Pellets
Freeze-Dried Blood worms.
Feeze-Dried brine shrimp
Prime
Safe-Start (mind you our betta has been in the 1/4g tank for 3 days now).
Several plants. 3 silk 2 plastic.

I Assembled everything and let everything run for 24 hours before introducing the betta to his new home of 80dg water.

Several questions I have.

* Filter current seems too high? Signs of it being too high? What can I do? The water bottle baffle won't work becuase It may be too sharp.

* Half moon betta does not look anything like half-moon. Tail seems pretty irregular

* Anal fin seems to be in 2 sections. A split around 2/3rd of the way back.

* Too small to eat a whole pellet at a time. Have to cut it in half with a razor

* How much should he eat? Been giving him 4-5 whole pellets a day cut in half

* Where can I get silk plants? PetSmart does not sell them.

thanks in advance.
Hobbesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #2 
Laki

Hi and congrats on the fish! First thing, I'm glad you realised a betta is not so much low maintenance as it is a family pet. Your child cannot hug it, touch it or otherwise instigate play with so be prepared for him/her to get bored quite fast.

Second, the filter flow you mean?? Betta are not the strongest swimmers and therefore if the current is too strong you'll have to baffle it with sponge and plants.
A betta can eat until they get sick. But to keep him in optimal health feed 3-4 pellets a day and twice a week or so feed him the bloodworm treats. (since they're freeze dried, please soak them in water before feeding as they can cause constipation) . . . Better yet, buy frozen bloodworms! All the nutrients are still intact!
Plants can be found in WalMart and even some craft stores. Check to make sure though, that craft plants do not contain gluey bits or metal. Once exposed to water the metal can harm the fish! My PetSmart just recently loaded up on silk plants so maybe yours will soon! You can also consider live plants. For low maintenance live plants everyone here will firstly suggest Marimo moss balls. Secondly, some java fern or java moss. I only keep moss balls so I'm no expert.
To gauge what tail type you have a picture would be great!
Anymore questions, just ask.. I found this place in August I think and have become so educated on my Lakitu!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #3 
Leeniex

You can smash the pellets and feed them that way. That's what I have to do.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:39 AM   #4 
HatsuneMiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbesk View Post

* Filter current seems too high? Signs of it being too high? What can I do? The water bottle baffle won't work becuase It may be too sharp.
another way i've found that helps with filter flow is to put an extra pad in there with the cartridge

* Half moon betta does not look anything like half-moon. Tail seems pretty irregular
tails and colors guide is here with good pictures http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=29868

on a side note petco/petsmart is not the best at labeling x_x .. they kind of just smush anything that isn't a crowntail or veiltail into the halfmoon category .. last time i went to petco there were double tails labeled as half moons and also female hmpk mislabeled as well

* Too small to eat a whole pellet at a time. Have to cut it in half with a razor
* How much should he eat? Been giving him 4-5 whole pellets a day cut in half

these two questions can be answered here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=81220

* Where can I get silk plants? PetSmart does not sell them.
you can get silk plants at craft stores like michaels .. but do not get anything that has metal in it .. or glitter on it .. and cut or file down anything that feels too sharp to you .. and pre-soak in hot water before putting in the tank .. just incase the dyes they used on the silk plants are not water safe and run into the water
=) good luck!! and keep us updated on your progress!! and welcome to the forums !! ..

on a last note ^_^ we would all love to see pictures of your new little guy and his new home

Last edited by HatsuneMiku; 09-29-2011 at 01:44 AM.
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:10 AM   #5 
bettaluvies

good luck with your first betta! good for you reasearched a bit, my petstore is
the same. once i asked about the bettas in little 10cm cubes, i asked couldent they please move them into the bunch of empty 20L tanks, theyre all heated, all filtered and quite a few are empty, enough were empty for each male to have his own, so why not? the girl who was helping us said bettas liked the tiny tanks, (i was innerly very angry with her at that point). she then ventured to show me some "betta homes" which were even smaller than the 10cm cubes (which is bout the size of a peanut butter jar). eventually i just walked out.

anway more on topic, i think youre questions have been answered, if i were you i would consider live plants,(if you like the natural look) theyre not that difficult to keep. i would lalso ike to make a different suggestion, i think it will inhance the kids interst in the tank. maybe you should make it into a themed tank, for example you could have it themed "games" and bright gravel, and dominoes or whatever, maybe a "gamey" (better ajective?) mug for a cave or (for another example) you could theme it "sweets" and have candy couloured gravel and a pink mug and whatever. personally i like natural looking tanks but it can be fun to design themed tanks, especially for the kids.
bettaluvies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:59 AM   #6 
Myates

Welcome and you have some good advice here already so going to skip them other then you can put a sponge in/over the outflow and steady it there with a rubber band.
And here is a place to order cheap plants. These are silk, but the plastics are good (as long as they aren't pointy) and they only start at a dollar something. Good luck and pictures please :D

Discount pet supply
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #7 
Hobbesk

Thanks for the kind reply.

I've attached couple of picture from my phone.

Taking betta picture is soo hard. It won't keep still. When I was trying to take it's side profile, it kept turning into the camera and looking straight at it.

Any ways here are couple.

If you look at the tail area, it's pretty ragged. Came this way. The tips are white so from the forum, it seems to be growing back.

Another question. Is aquarium salt a constant thing or just when needed? From Google, I'm getting mixed messages.

Thanks all.
Attached Images

Hobbesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #8 
missm83

awwww so pretty!! welcome to the forum! 10gl wow !!Lucky fish!!!
missm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:18 AM   #9 
youlovegnats

He's a cutie!!!
No, only use AQ salt when needed (fin rot, missing scales, or any other exterior problem.

His tank looks very nice! I'm glad you found out that bettas need larger homes rather quickly! Petshop employees...well aren't usually the best source for information. :P
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #10 
Silverfang

Just a side note, when choosing plastic plants use a bit of pantyhose to see if it rips on the plants. If it does, then your bettas tail can too.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote