Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #1 
Fraulein

Grebby suffering from Dropsy

Hello,
First, thanks for your time reading this. I think I'm one of those ignorant fish owners that you'll have a field day with, but I adore my Grebby and would really appreciate your help. I've had Grebby for about 2 years. He is the most rocking betta out there. He's always been super active and has had a hefty appetite.
11 days ago we noticed a tumor-like protrusion. Looking closer at it, we could see his fins were standing up. He was hiding in his cave and was unresponsive--for Grebby, an obvious sign of illness even if he looked perfectly fine. After a bit of research, I feel comfortable calling it Dropsy.
I purchased Maracyn-II and did two-5-day cycles per the box instructions. After the first couple of days he became a new fish. He was eating, active, all was looking better. His pineconed fins were flattened, though no change to his swollen 'tumor'. Now, one day after the second 5-day treatment, his fins are pineconed again. He's eating, and though he does hang on the bottom a bit, he's still all excited when I come near the tank. He definitely has an appetite- he tried to eat the vials when I was doing a water test.
He's by himself in a small 1.5 gallon filtered tank. I just did a 50% water change, but I've been reading different forums, and everyone says something different.
I'm at a loss. He seems happy, but looks horrible. His belly is getting lighter and he seems bloated. He now has a white spot on his side as well that wasn't there after the first treatment.
Like an #$%^&, I didn't do a water change after the first treatment since the box didn't say anything about it. I figured it was on purpose because it would dilute the medication. I could shoot myself for not exhausting all forums for proper instructions. I should've looked for more info.
Please help if you can. He's super special, and I just want him comfortable.
Thanks,
Andrea
Attached Images

Fraulein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:10 PM   #2 
Silverfang

The poor boy. First off dropsy is a symptom of an underlying issue. Epsom salt is recommended for any sort of swelling, for his condition, 3 tsp of epsom salt per gallon. It should at least make him feel more comfortable. Aside from that I'm afraid I can't make any more suggestions, I've never dealt with this disease.

Unfortunately it is usually fatal, I would pm oldfishlady she might be able to offer some suggestion
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #3 
Leeniex

That looks bad, I'm afraid poor little guy. :(
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Hi fraulein and welcome to the forum. Your poor Grebby, that looks really uncomfortable. That looks like a tumor to me and sadly, short of talking to a veterinarian about the possibility of surgical removal, there's nothing you can do. :( And with a fish so small, there's no guarantee he'd make it through surgery all right. I'm very sorry. All you can do is make Grebby comfortable. Please keep him in 1-2 tsps of epsom salt. Make sure his water is warm, around 78 degrees if possible.

As for water changes . . . yeah, you'll get a lot of varying opinions on how much, how often etc. In Grebby's case, I'm concerned that too many 100% water changes where he'd have to be removed from his tank would be stressful for him. I would recommend you do this: 1 50% and 1 90% change a week. The 90% should work out because you won't have to remove Grebby. Just remove as much water as you can, leaving just enough for Grebby to swim in. If you have to remove him, don't use a net. That could injure his tumor. Use a small plastic cup. Some fish will swim right into it, other times the suction of the cup being submersed will pull the fish in. This is a lot less stressful for the fish.

Hopefully OFL will post with more or better advice. I'm really sorry about Grebby. Please keep us posted.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #5 
Fraulein

Thank you so much. I've added 2 tsp of the salt and I'll keep a close eye on him. As much as I'd pay to have the surgery done, I can't imagine the poor guy making it through. It just seems too traumatic.
He's been with me for 2 years, and if I am going to lose him, I just hope I can keep him comfortable.
I've tried different foods in the past, trying to give him a varied diet and treats, but he only wants his pellets. He ignores everything else, or in the case of the flakes, spits them out.
I've messaged OFL, and I'm hoping she can offer advice, yet I'm trying to be realistic. That tumor is dreadful looking.
Thanks for your kind words,
Andrea

He really is a stunner and an awesome buddy. He would actually jump out of the water to take the food from my finger tip. Maybe that's common of betta fish, but it's his little trick I'll miss.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #6 
Sakura8

I'm sure OFL can help, at least to make him more comfortable. I'm very sorry this had to happen to such a neat little guy. He sounds like a real character. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry your Betta isn't well.....

I would start him on Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) 3tsp/gal and tannins along with 100% or 50% daily water changes....I agree with Sakura about the stress with water changes when you suspect a tumor.....your goal is to keep him comfy and if he seems to be suffering you need to do what is right by him, however, you don't want to give up too soon either....

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and tannins-either IAL or Oak leaf...let this steep for 30min to release some of the tannin and salt to dissolve....Shake well before use and use this premixed Tx water for 50% water changes every 15min for 1hour today and start 50% daily for 7 days then 50% every 3 days thereafter....you can use Epsom salt long term if needed to keep him comfy....

If he is not struggling to swim-I would keep him in the tank you have him and lower the water level if needed or QT in something smaller to make water changes easier for both of you...what ever make the Betta comfy....I would also cover whatever you keep him in with plastic veggie wrap to retain the heat and humidity for his labyrinth.....

If his is still willing to eat-offer small frequent meals-if you have access to mosquito larva offer some rinsed once a day....

Good luck and keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:46 AM   #8 
Trobar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraulein View Post
Hello,
First, thanks for your time reading this. I think I'm one of those ignorant fish owners that you'll have a field day with, but I adore my Grebby and would really appreciate your help.
This forum does not treat people like that. I speak from my experiences of asking the most basic questions. Don't be afraid to ask, the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked.

Oldfishlady and Sakura are two of many very helpful people here.

I hope Grebby gets better and wish you the best of luck. It's amazing how attached we get to a fish.
Trobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #9 
Fraulein

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to update you on Grebby. I'm following OFL's advice and trying to keep him comfy. He's still with us-- he looks horrid and is a bit less active but still excited for food. As long as he's eating I'll continue to have hope.
Thanks for all of your help, and I'll let you know how his fight goes :)
Old 09-30-2011, 02:45 PM   #10 
Romad
TFK Moderator

I hope he pulls through but sadly, I'm not very optimistic. I just lost a boy to pretty much the same thing. He developed a lump a few weeks after I got him . It was really slow growing so he lasted 8 months and was a happy little guy right up until yesterday.

At first I tried the meds to rule out bacterial infection and when he pineconed two days ago , I treated with the epsom salt.

Like everyone has already said, just keep him as comfy as possible and know that you've done everything you could to help him along and keep him alive.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote