Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #1 
pepsi1977

I found a betta, male half moon giant, I feel sorry for

...of course, at Petco.

He is just lounging around, is white with black eyes (which I like). But he has a large white growth (doesn't look fuzzy) on his left side and some granules (ick-looking) on the underside primarily.

I want to see if I can nurse him to health but, even at a "special"/$19 it seems potentially an expensive task. BTW, I rescue cats and dogs and people, too! So thus the draw.

What do you guys think the growth/tumour could be?
pepsi1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #2 
Leeniex

Could be a tumor....did you ask for the fish? They may give it to you for free because no one will buy the poor thing. :(
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #3 
pepsi1977

It's Petco... :( If you bring it to their attention they "take it into the back and give it medication, etc" Which I wonder is a euthemism for letting it die :(

I had thought I might pay the $19 for it...King Male Half Moon...and see if isolating him with some meds might help. There is a (sad) 30 day guarantee on fish.

What do you think? Poor thing
Old 09-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #4 
hmckin20

i would try it.. if he dies you can get your money back (however terrible that is) and he'll at least have a good home before he dies
and if he lives, you have a gorgeous betta!
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:53 AM   #5 
LionCalie

Personally, I try to avoid paying pet stores for neglected/abused rescues because you are supporting them with your money. Two times now I've gotten Betta's free from Walmart on deaths door. I raise hell with the manager first, then explain I can medicate and give the Betta a fighting chance, but I will not pay for a sick fish. Why whould they change their ways if they continue to make money? The downside being, of course, that animals have to suffer for their greed and ignorance.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:45 AM   #6 
pepsi1977

Yes. I agree. I've decided to buy the sick fish as that is the only way to give it a chance, and then "return" the fish in two weeks using the body of my beta who passed. Doubt they'll figure it out
Old 09-29-2011, 06:18 AM   #7 
caitic10

Lol, Ive thought about doing that. Although you may have a problem if your reciept says King betta. Some employees can tell the difference if your dead fish is a king betta.
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #8 
pepsi1977

Got the King Beta from Petco :(

Severe ick I believe. And stringy "stuff" coming off him when he moves around...happy to be out of Petco!!

So, I have an "isolation bowl", about 1-2 gallons. No filtration.
Can I use that?
Metafix? Tetracycline? Suggestions?

He has globs of it...so I can't wait to get this started.

Thanks, guys
Old 09-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #9 
LionCalie

That doesn't sound like Ick to me, possibly columnaris? Is it mold-like lesions or like he was sprinkled with salt? Pictures would be helpful. We really need to figure out what illness he is suffering from before starting any treatment.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:47 PM   #10 
pepsi1977

just bought a new cell phone to upload photos...here we go

What do you think? The white stuff on the gill looks like a chunk of chalk the body has some irredescent spots which is columnaris?? I really appreciate your time. I want to save this fish (hey, just saw how crappy this blackberry's camera is...this was a cell phone just for today...oh well, can you see the pictures?)
Attached Images