Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #1 
erishkigel

Have you used green tea for tannins?

Decaf green tea has been recommended to help my ailing betta, but I don't know how much/many bags to use~~ tia!
erishkigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #2 
Micho

How big is your tank? I've used it before, makes the water looks yucky. It really depends on your Betta, some react good, while others not so good. So be careful when introducing it for the first time.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:13 AM   #3 
erishkigel

he's in a 1 gal tank. and this was the available alternative to using IAL or oak leaves.
erishkigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:08 AM   #4 
Kytkattin

Roobios tea also works. Not sure on the dosage. Probably just one bag, maybe 2 on a tank that small. Just keep in mind that tannins should not be cut off cold turkey when you want to stop using them. Wean him off slowly, or just keep using them.

I personally love the look of tannins in the water. Makes it look very natural, like I am peeking into a little hidden world! Plus light tannins seem to make my fish have more rich color.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:14 AM   #5 
Pataflafla

Decaf green tea with no other additives is what should work.

Slowly acclimate your betta following OldFishLady's advice (If she recommended for you) or a 50% change every 15 minutes after letting the tea bag steep for 30 minutes (You'll use that water for the 50% changes).

If you're betta seems to be getting stressed by the decaf green tea at all (Heavy breathing, darting, increased lethargy) I recommend you do a 100% change with tank water to get all of the tea out.

Some bettas do not do well with decaf green tea. Watch your betta closely throughout the acclimation and for the first hour if he does fine in acclimation.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote