Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #1 
BettaSnap456

Betta has parasites? Or something else?

Okay, I've been so confused lately about my Betta, Tai. He has a swollen belly, a red anus with a white cottony patch on it, he eats normally, poops normally, he is still active. Like he still goes around the tank, he has red under his scales. I just treated him for constipation, the pea trick and fasting, it worked. I also thought he had a bacterial infection so I tried melafix for a week without any results. Now I believe it's parasites, so I got Jungle Parasite Clear, and I'm treating him with it. I believe he also has SBD, since he was in a hospital tank and his spine was crooked, and swimming abnormally. He lives in a 5g tank, with a low water level because I think it helps him. I haven't tested the water parameters. But this has been going on for about a month and a half, i think. I was feeding just flakes when I found out about his sickness. he isn't pineconing. Btw I fed him 3 times a day with 3 flakes each feeding. I'm a newbie so help me out! Thanks!
BettaSnap456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:09 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Please fill this out so we can get more information and be more accurate. Also, is his poop string and white/clear? He's not constipated or bloated right now, just the fuzzy patch? If you could get a picture of him too, that would be helpful.

What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:41 AM   #3 
BettaSnap456

1. 5g
2 82 degrees f
3. Yes
4. No
5.Yes
6. He lives by himself

Food
1. I used to feed him flakes but I switched it to freeze driied bloodworms and betta pellets.
2. 2 times a day.

Maintenance
1. every week
2. 20%
3. Betta Safe

Water Parameters
1. Haven't tested

Symptoms
1. He has gotten paler, he has a swollen belly, a red anus with a white patch on it, he has red under his scales.
2. Barely anything changed, except he sometimes has trouble swimming.
3. a month and a half ago.
4. Yes, for constipation, the pea trick and fasting, it worked he pooped. And I also treated him with melafix, i thought he had a bacterial problem. Now, I'm treating him for parasites.
5. No.
6. Not sure, about a few months old.

He used to have white stringy poop, not anymore. He still has a swollen belly.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #4 
Pataflafla

Get him in to a qt tank or cup so you can float him in the main tank for warmth.

Premix 1 tsp/gal of epsom salt in treated water so you can have him in that water while he floats. Keep him in this water either until the swelling and redness are gone or for a max of 14 days. If in that time his poop is stringy and white, then treat him for parasites. The epsom salt will stimulate him into pooping while taking out excess fluids that his body might have built up, causing him to swell.

Change out all of the water in his tank before putting him back in (unless it is cycled, if so then remove a majority of the water) so that there is no melafix or parasite medication in the water with him.

I recommend not using melafix with bettas simply because there is an ingredient that is easy to overdose them on which is quite harmful to them.

Fast him for a few days while on the epsom salt to let everything work through his system before feeding him soaked pellets only. Use blood worms as a treat food since it's not a balanced diet (low in fiber and fats, but high in protein) whereas pellets are more balanced out.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #5 
BettaSnap456

So, I should keep him in epsom salt for 14 days? What if this doesn't work? And how long is a few days?
Old 09-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

Fast him for 2-3 days while he is on the esom salt before offering food to give a chance for bloating to go down. After 2-3 days, soak his pellets in treated tank water and give him those to eat (no bloodworms right now).

If he looks like he's back to his normal size and shows that he is not bloating after eating (unless he does have parasites indicated by white stringy poop) keep him in the epsom salt water for 1 more day before reintroducing him to tank water without medications.

If he does have parasites indicated by white stringy poop, keep him on the epsom salt and then medicate him for parasites.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #7 
BettaSnap456

I'm a bit slow so you'll have to forgive me so I have to keep him in the epsom salt bath for 2-3 days?
Old 09-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #8 
Pataflafla

Keep him in the epsom salt full time for at least a week while changing his water every day to new epsom salt water.

If his swelling goes down to a regular body size within that time (1 week) then give him 1 more day in epsom salt water before switching him to his regular tank.

The epsom salt will help him poop and bring swelling down. If his poop is stringy and white, then treat him with parasite medication. If it's not, then he may have found something to eat that he shouldn't have or he may have been overfed.

When you did the pea method, did he poop the pea out as well?
Old 09-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #9 
BettaSnap456

How can you tell? I mean he had a huge poop after the pea treatment.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #10 
Pataflafla

Since bettas cannot digest peas, there should have beena green chunk like the one you fed your betta. If it was just the colring of his poop, he may not have pooped the pea out, which could be causing his current problem.

The epsom salt should help him pass it if he hasn't already pooped it out.