Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #1 
fishychloe

Can i mix Api bettafix with Api fungus cure??

Hello, I bought 5 Betta's from pet land- 3 Male 2 Female, and 3 Pearl scale Goldfish and a Black Telescope and a Gold Mystery Snail. Plus 3 small female Betta's from a local pet shop. First of all, Pet-land employees are so retarded to me. They don't know anything about fish, except from what they learned from their customers. I told the guy who worked there for years and that a goldfish has popeye and he said what is popeye? smh. Also the manager told me Bettafix fixes columnaris, and fish lives without they eyes.Crazy Right.

Anyway my fish are going through it 2 Betta's died. 1 Male and 1 Female
the female [Kim] was covered with white Cotton like patches which consumed her body the next day and she died due to her not being able to swim to the top for air.
The male [Denrek] died by always floating at the top, not eating, turned gray and he had this bump bulging from both sides of him right beneath his dorsal fin.
Now my Yellow/black pearl scale [Mc Rob] has red tiny spots on his skin and is not active as much as the other fish, Still swims around and eats.
The Other female betta [Chloe] has something that's like white and a little puffy coming from her butt hole area, but its not consuming her. Little less active then before.
My other female [Courtney] has a patch next to her dorsal fin and its healing but idk where it came from shes not active as much.

Now when i was at pet-land i told the guy my betta died [Denrek] and he felt bad. Better yet he gave me a male betta [Fin] with a case of Fin rot.
Last My female [Tamera] has red dots on her swimming fin and has a piece of it missing, and a piece of her back fin came off but it has little white dots on it also she sits in the bottom on the tank squeezed under the the aquarium plant and only comes up for air and since she is kinda see through she has something red inside of her where the tail begins. I bought some aquarium salt, fungus cure, bettafix, liquid super ick cure all from API. I have my 4 goldfish and 3 betta in the tank with some fungus cure and aquarium salt. Can Fungus cure be mix with any of those medications?. My fish chloe,fin,and my other betta Murrick which nothing is wrong with him are in separate hospital bowls being treated. What should i do? I Have a filter i always filter and hour before putting them back in, i condition water, make sure its the right temperature and have a thermometer. Always clean net after each fish transport. i clean plants and let them dry fully. what should i do?
fishychloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Quote:
I have my 4 goldfish and 3 betta in the tank with some fungus cure and aquarium salt
I have to ask, are you housing the goldfish and bettas together in the same tank? If so, I would suggest you do some further research as they are completely incompatible tankmates. That many goldfish are probably going to need to be housed in at least a 50-70 gallon tank.

If it's columnaris, you are going to need an anti-bacterial and not anti-fungal medication. Columnaris is caused by a bacterial infection (generally caused by poor water quality) and depending on the voracity of the infection, can be fatal in as little as 12-24 hours.

Bettafix is essentially useless for anything but minor antiseptic purposes. It's just a diluted form of Melafix. While everyone here seems to think it is some kind of toxic time bomb, it is very commonly used on bettas in Australia without harm. You just need to have good surface agitation so that it doesn't coagulate there.

There's a form stickied at the top of this forum I suggest you fill out, as this will better assist with proper diagnosis and advised treatments.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:52 PM   #3 
fishychloe

i dont see the form you are talking about and i have heard that i should not have that many goldfish in a ten gallon but i didnt know that when i bought them i was given poor information by the petland discount employees... i have to addmit i have gotten attached to my liittle pearlscales but i will glady give them to a more experience person with more space and money because a ten gallon tank is all i have money and space for.. unforntunatly Tamara died as i was typing this her physical appearence did not seem to change how ever she did lose the ability to swim and kept being thrown to the bottom of the tank by the filter i attempted to feed her but she didnt even attempt to eat plus the gold fish were starting to nip at her and she wasnt darting away so i took her out of the tank and put her in a hospital bowl she darted around once or twice and then died shortly there after.... i feel like a horrible person i have now lost 3 fish and i dont want to lose anymore... i do think that kim died of either spores of sparilogina or columnaris what medicine would you recommend? i am almost sure that what chloe has is spores or spralogina cause it was just in one spot and also i forgot to mention that when i took her out of her tank and put her in the hospital bowl with aquarium salt she bled out quite a bit and some of the white dandilion looking thing was gone.. as of now you can see a little of it still there but she still active and eats... my male fin who has fin rot looks like his fins are healing a bit but he has a peice of somthing hanging from the bottom of his gil area he also is active and eating right now i have him in a bowl with fungus cure and aqarium salt... and same with chloe the other two female betta and the four goldfish seem fine and they also are in the ten gallon tank with fugus cure and aqarium salt.. at this point i just want to keep my 3 female betta in the ten gallon and my two males in my 2.5 gallon and give away the gold fish and let my five bettas live happy lives SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP: WHAT SHOULD MY NEXT STEP BE TO KEEP MY REMAINING FISH ALIVE AND WELL???????

Last edited by fishychloe; 09-28-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:38 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Hi fishychloe and welcome to the forum. Here are the questions we need you to fill out so we can help you.

Don't use Bettafix. Despite its name, it's actually not a very good product for bettas because it contains an ingredient that could potentially harm a betta's laybrinth organ, the organ they use to breathe air from. Same goes for Melafix.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:46 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Sorry for the double post but I wanted you to be able to access the questions right away.

First, you don't have to give away your goldfish if you can provide them with their own large tank. The rule of thumb with goldfish is 10g per fish. So that would be a 40g tank for you, I think. Your goldfish will want to be kept in a cooler temperature of about 72 degrees. Your bettas need to be kept warmer, at around 78 degrees.

Now, your bettas. I'm a little confused. Can you post descriptions and/or photographs of your bettas and their problems, in paragraphs? My eyes need a break from the block of text. @_@ (sorry, I have astigmatism so my eyes cross easy with lots of text ><).

Until I get the answers from the questions, my advice is don't panic. We'll help you through this. I can't guarantee that we can help you heal your fish but I can promise you that we'll give you all the information you need so you'll know what to do the next time.

For now, don't add any more medications or anything to the water. Look and see if you have the following: several small containers for QT, several 1 gallon jugs.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:13 AM   #6 
fishychloe

Housing

What size is your tank?
i have a ten gallon tank and a 2.5 gallon tank

What temperature is your tank?
78 to 80
Does your tank have a filter?
yes i have a medium quickflow

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
no just the quickflow

Is your tank heated?
no i dont have a heater

What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
Right now there are 2 female betta in the ten gallon tank with 4 goldfish

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?

i have fed them pellets flakes and brine shrimp but for the past cuople of days i've been feeding tetra bettamin tropical medley flakes.

How often do you feed your betta fish?
twice daily once in the
morning and once at night

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?

well i've only had them less and the tanks less than two weeks and ive done 4 full water changes on the 2.5 gallon and 3 on the 10 gallon...

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

water conditioner and for the past couple times i've been aqarium salt.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No i have not had the money to buy a kit and i would have it tested at petland but right now it has fungus cure in it...
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
pH
Hardness
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment

How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
One of my smaller Betta is Chloe. Yesterday there was a dandilion looking growth on the bottom of her where she takes a poop. Also one of my other female bettas nipped her tail a bit. when i transferred her to the hospital bowl containing aquarium salt and betta fix. The white growth bleed out and became smaller a bit. My other female Courtney was nipped also and shes been stressed for a while and she doedn't swim as much or flare but she does eat. Now my goldfish Mcrob has red tiny dotd on his skin/scales and his left eye seems to be pooping out a little bit. Also he opens his mouth as if he was breating rapidly and is a bit less active them my other goldfish. And My male betta Fin has fin rot because his fins are curled up and breaking off.Also if you look at him from the bottom you can see a piece of something hanging from his gill area and it looks kinda open. Last my other female betta Tia has something white on her gill area.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed

My goldfish McRob and Courtney my betta are less active.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?

chloe inoticed around about 2 days ago,Fin already had it and mc.rob a few days also and courtney a few days ago.My 3 dead fish, denrek never acted normal ever since i got him he stayed in the corner of the surface, never ate and wasnt very active. Kim my betta died because she was consumed by the white cotton like disease. and she swam with her body at an angle [Head down with tail up] and tamera my other betta died a few hours ago with a red spot by her tail that looked internal and red dots on her swimming fin and white dots on her tail fin that both had a piece missing.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?

With Aquarium salt, fungus cure, also have a bottle of liquid super ick cure. just incase !
Right now i have 2 female betta and 4 gold fish in the ten gallon tank being treated with fungus cure and i have my health male murick in the 2.5 gallon by him self with aqarium salt as a preventative and chloe and fin in seperate bowls with aqarium salt and fungus cure .....

Does your fish have any history of being ill?

No they all seem fine when i got them except for fin who had fin rot and the problem with his gills when i got him...

How old is your fish (approximately)?
i have no idea but i do know that chloe is a baby only about and inch and courtney is and adult she looks fully grown lastly tia she is in between cgloe and courtney... the gold fish are all about the same age and are not that much bigger then the my make bettas fin and murick i have no idea about I've had all of the no more then a week and a half...

hope this helps you guys a little more so that you can try and help me

also i forgot to mention that i have a gold mystery snail who ive move to a seperate bowl since i started adding salt to the ten galon... Also i had a live plant (green hedge) in my tank which i opted to trow away once the fish started geting sick, i did this because i read that live plant bring fungus in the tank!!!!
In closing i do not have the money or space for a 40 gallon tank so i think the goldfish may have to go......

Last edited by fishychloe; 09-29-2011 at 03:27 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:25 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Yikes, poor you. All your bettas are definitely pretty sick. I can definitely say that Chloe and Courtney are probably nipping each other. Female bettas do best in groups of 4 or more. Any fewer than that and they pick on each other relentlessly until one is too injured to go on. My advice is to remove two of the girls from the 10g and put her in her own tank. Also, if you are going to have to get rid of the goldfish, do it as soon as possible.

The dandelion growth . . . that sounds like lymphocystis. Remove Chloe and put her in her own tank because lymphocystis is contagious. It's a virus so there is nothing you can do to treat it. No medicines or anything. All you can do is keep the water very clean and feed a high quality diet. Lymphocystis has a very good survivability rate because the fish usually can fight it off on their own but it can take anywhere from one month to several months. If the water becomes dirty, the dandelion growth will become infected and the fish will get very sick so it's important to change the water often.

Courtney will probably be less stressed once she is the only fish in the tank. As soon as you get rid of the goldfish, do a 50% water change and make sure the temperature is 78 degrees.

Your male betta is, I assume, in the 2.5g? Is that heated? If he is in the 2.5g, then you'll need to change the water like this: 1 50% and 1 100% a week. The cleaner the water, the faster his fins will heal. It sounds like he has some ammonia poisoning so he really needs clean water. Use 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon and change the water as I mentioned for 2 weeks. After 14 days, discontinue the salt.

Can you describe this white thing on Tia's gill? Is it fuzzy? How big is it? I'll need some more info before I know how best to treat Tia, if you don't mind.

Anyway, sorry you will probably have to get rid of your goldfish. I hope this info helps you with your bettas. If you can, take pics of them. That is always helpful in treating them. Hang in there and keep us posted. :)
Old 09-29-2011, 08:42 AM   #8 
Myates

Anyway my fish are going through it 2 Betta's died. 1 Male and 1 Female
the female [Kim] was covered with white Cotton like patches which consumed her body the next day and she died due to her not being able to swim to the top for air. Sounds like fungus..

The male [Denrek] died by always floating at the top, not eating, turned gray and he had this bump bulging from both sides of him right beneath his dorsal fin.
SBD or a tumor I would think..

Now my Yellow/black pearl scale [Mc Rob] has red tiny spots on his skin and is not active as much as the other fish, Still swims around and eats. it might be Costia - a parasite. The other possiblity is bacteria infection. Little point like hemorrhages under the scales are more likely bacteria infection.

The Other female betta [Chloe] has something that's like white and a little puffy coming from her butt hole area, but its not consuming her. Little less active then before. I would say either lymphocystis as Sakura mentioned, or could it be as simple as the egg spot and the lethargy due to the cold water/ammonia brought on by the goldfish.

My other female [Courtney] has a patch next to her dorsal fin and its healing but idk where it came from shes not active as much. No idea what you mean by patch..

And My male betta Fin has fin rot because his fins are curled up and breaking off.Also if you look at him from the bottom you can see a piece of something hanging from his gill area and it looks kinda open. Could be water quality.. are the edges black/red? Curling of fins usually are due from poor water conditions. Hanging from his gill.. a parasite?

Those are just my guesses, just from what I read (and unfortunately had to read it fast because have to get daughter off to school). I'm sure Sakura has it all under control though, and would listen to her in regards to treatment. Sorry they are all sick, and I hope for a good recovery for them. Best wishes.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #9 
fishychloe

Thank you so much Sakura8 for your responses...
okay first off i'm pretty sure that it was my disceased fish kim who nipped courtney as they seemed to be competing to be alpha fish before kim got sick.. right now i have my healthy, active male murick in the 2.5 gallon by himself with only aqarium salt and water conditioner.. The sick male we discussed FIn is in his on hospital bowl with fungus cure and aqarium salt should i stop the fungus cure with him or all of them?? The only 1 not being treated with it is murrick... Right now my bigest concern is for Tia the growth on her face looks bigger today it almost looks like she flaring one gil its white and also i noticed a tiny dot of white fliud coming from it shes not very active... i really want to save her.. And then Chloe the dandilion is still there but shes very active and still eats.. right now i have her in a hospital bowl of about six cups of water with fungus cure and aqarium salt should i continue to treat her this way?? should i keep her in the small bowl?? Fin is in about 5 cups of water wiith the same treatment? lastly my too female betta in the ten galon seem fine courtney who is bigger and older is paying tia no mind neither one of them is flaring or nipping.. do you think once i remove the gold fish courney my start nipping tia again??

I plan to give my goldfish back to the pet shop in a few hours although i must addmit i am a bit worried about mcrob ( the black and yellow pearlscale with the red dots on him and the case of popeye.. but i cant give any of them their own ten gallons.. So right now my plan is to give them up also i would like to have my three female betta in the ten gallon together again and maybe by 2 or 3 more ( in time of course ) and my two male betta in the 2.5 gallon with a divider??? do you think with all that transpired i will still be able to build a sucessful sorority in the ten gallon?? And do you think the two male can live in the 2.5 galon tank divided in to 3 with a male on both ends and plant in the middle to block there veiw?? how should i start treatin tia? or am i treating her issue with the fungus cure?? I am very sorry but i dont have a camera or a way to upload pics but i will try to keep desibing them to you to the best of my ability
One last thing i do have a gold mystery snail who i'm keeping in a seperate bowl being that im treating all the fish with salt... when i first put salt in the tank i had her in there with it for about ten minutes before thinking about it and looking online... I read that it burns them is this true??? should i keep her seperate until i stop using salt???

Last edited by fishychloe; 09-29-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:09 AM   #10 
fishychloe

Thank you myates... so nobody thinks that what chloe has is spores of sparilogina???? excuse me if the name is spelled wrong but when i was trying to diagnose her i saw some pics on google that looked simular to what she has the only thing is its just in that 1 spot.. As far as fin i'm not sure if the peice i see hanging from the bottom of his gil area is a peice of his own flesh or somthin hanging out of them....