Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2011, 08:12 AM   #11 
Myates

If Murick is healthy, then discontinue the salt... constant salt will do more harm then good for him by affecting his internal organs and when you do need it to treat him, then the effectiveness will be severely lowered.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:36 AM   #12 
fishychloe

sorry for the triple post but i just want to be clear i should not even have 1 gold fish in a ten gallon tank if there are other fish in it or can i keep 1 in there with the bettas?
fishychloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:38 AM   #13 
fishychloe

ok myates i wont put anymore salt in his tank....
Old 09-29-2011, 10:50 AM   #14 
fishychloe

sukura8 im still waiting for your reply i realize that we may be in different time zones so i will keep checking frequently im am looking for a pet store now that will take the goldfish i will udste on how the 2 female bettas are later after i take the gold fish out
Old 09-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #15 
fishychloe

i have taken my four goldfish to petland and now courtney is happier and swiming around more however tamera is not doing so well her gills look worse there is a cotton like somthing on her right gill and she cant close them all the way what should i treat her with i dont want to lose her or chloe i am now dow to 5 fish from 12 i really want to keep the rest alive and well!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #16 
Sakura8

Sorry for the late reply. I'm in the Pacific Standard time zone and I spent the morning doing water changes. >.< Something we're all familiar with . . .

All right. First, I agree with Myates. For Murick, discontinue the salt. If he's healthy, then the salt may actually do more harm than good.

For Fin, continue with the salt. How many days do you have left with the Fungus Cure treatment and does it seem to be helping him? If you have only a day or two left OR it does seem to be helping, continue with it. Otherwise, stop the Fungus Cure for Fin.

The problem with saprolegnia is that its symptoms look a lot like the symptoms for columnaris too but the treatment is different for each disease. The best thing you can do for Tia is continue the Fungus Cure in case it saprolegnia AND continue with the salt in case it is columnaris.

Be sure to keep Chloe separated from the others. I believe she may have lymphocystis, which is contagious. Discontinue the Fungus Cure and salt for her and just keep her water super duper clean.

For Tamera, it sounds like she may have developed columnaris. 3 tsps of aquarium salt and lower temps of about 76 degrees for 14 days, along with clean water.

I do believe that once all of your girls are healthy, you can put them back in the 10g, provided you buy at least one more girl so you have 4 betta girls in there. Make sure there are lots of plants (fake or live) and hiding holes for the girls.

For the boys, they can go in a divided 5g but a 2.5g divided is probably too small.

I don't have any experience with snails but I do think most people remove them when treating with salt. If they're anything like land snails, they might a little sensitive to salt.

For all of your fish in small containers, it's really important to do 100% daily water changes. I know it's a bit of work but with 5-6 cups of water, the ammonia builds up pretty fast. One way to make this easier is to get a 1 gallon jug such as the kind spring water or milk comes in. Fill with 1 gallon of dechlorinated water and 1-3 tsps of salt (depending on which fish you are treating). Let the salt dissolve. Now you can use the premade water for easy water changes.

I hope this helps you. If you have any more questions, definitely post. I never go more than half a day without checking in so if I am unable to reply in the afteroon, I will certainly reply before the day is over (uhm, by day is over I guess I mean Pacific Standard Time).

Good luck and hang in there, I know it's a bit overwhelming right now.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #17 
fishychloe

sadly tia died a moment ago her physical appearence didnt relly change much but she couldnt close her gils and stayed at the top and took breaths often I now only have Courtney, Chloe , fin and murick they are all in fungus cure should i change Courtney out of it since i dont see anything wrong with her. should i change the water or put my carbon back in the filter and let it filter out???
Old 09-29-2011, 01:34 PM   #18 
fishychloe

please Help me keep the rest of my babys alive sakura8
Old 09-29-2011, 01:46 PM   #19 
fishychloe

ok i am going to do everything you said unfortunatley tia and tamara died already i will change muricks water and put him in with out the salt i will also keep chloe in her hospital bowl with out the fungus cure and salt also i will keep fin in his bowl with the salt and fungus cure and lastly i will keep courtney in the ten gallon by herself until the chloe is well and then i will buy 3 more female betta and add them and chloe at the same time.. do you think i should take courtney out of the fungus cure and salt since there nothing wrong woth her or should i continue being that tia and tamera were housed in the tank with her??? lastly do you know about how long it may take for chloe to get fully better, and is there anything i can do to speed up the process other then keeping her water really clean???
Old 09-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #20 
Sakura8

fishychloe, I'm so sorry to hear about Tia. :( I would stop treating Courtney with the Fungus Cure but continue with the AQ salt for 14 days. This should prevent her from getting any infection.

For Chloe, if it's truly lymphocystis, there's nothing else that can be done but wait for a month or more. You may have mentioned this but I can't recall . . . is Chloe eating and does she seem fairly normal overall? Has the dandelion patch spread or has she gotten more patches?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote