Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2011, 02:23 AM   #1 
Persica

Emergency.... Please help fast. :'(

Well, I've had my fish Persica since the summer... He's been the best companion to me in the dorm... And recently he built the best bubble nest ever.. I was so happy.. I've spent the last hour crying. I'm pretty sure he's going to die. :(

For awhile, he's been laying at the bottom of his tank, and at first I thought he was sleeping. Then I realized he hadn't moved for a whole day, so I tried moving his tank to get him to swim. He wouldn't, so I just lightly touched his fin. He reacted, but he can't swim straight. He just sort of flops, and when he does swim, he just falls back down on one side or upside down... Now he's breathing heavily... VERY heavily.. What have I done wrong? I haven't done as many water changes as I should lately but I checked his water quality just two days ago and it was fine. I'll check it again now.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? My room is around 76 degrees, so theoretically, his water should be too. I need to get a heater, still.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, but it's been awhile since I replaced the cartridge.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Been feeding him TetraBetta pellets and flakes and Hikari bloodworms. He never eats in front of me so I'm not sure what he eats or if he eats.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Every day.
Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? It's been about two weeks since I've done a water change, but I usually try to do a 50% when I see that the ammonia level reaches between .25 and .5 ppm
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I add AquaSafe plus water conditioner before I put the water in the tank, and I let it sit over night.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:.25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: 8.0
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His colors are faded.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Yes, all he does is lay at the bottom.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?He become more lazy about a week ago, but today is the first day he has been at the bottom all day.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I don't know. I got him at a pet store about 2 months ago.
Persica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:36 AM   #2 
Pataflafla

Lower his water level or cup him so he can reach the surface to breathe without having to work too hard. Float him in his tank so he can still get the warmth from that since cups alone aren't stable for temperature.

Is his stomach bloated at all? If he's really bloated, try premixing 1 tsp/gal of epsom salt and adding it to his cup as well as changing his cup water every day. Also fast him for a day or two if he is bloated.

I've heard on here that you don't need to replace the filter cartridge since it has good bacteria on it and that all you need to do is swish it in some old tank water a few times a month just to get the gunk off. I could be wrong on this so hopefully someone who actually knows for sure will let you know.

Has his poop looked normal? It should be the color of his food.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:51 AM   #3 
Persica

I lowered his water level and it has about 3 inches of water above gravel. Is that okay? Also, his poop is NEVER the color of his food. His food is that bright red color, and his poop is always light. Is he not eating? I bought him a new kind of food, so if that's the problem I hope he'll eat the new food. He could have been eating plant roots, as I have live plants in my aquarium, and then the color of his poop would make sense. Not sure if he's bloated, will add a picture.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:53 AM   #4 
Persica

Here's the picture.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2011, 02:55 AM   #5 
Pataflafla

Is his poop almost white or completely white? If that's the case then he might have internal parasites. With that you'll usually see bloating and either a massive appetite or no appetite. As far as bloating, is his stomach really round and protruding from him body line (Should be pretty stream lined for easy swimming).

Based on your picture, he isn't bloated. He looks to actually be a bit skinny. I know you said he won't in with you in the room, but do you think you could spy on him once you offer him some food? Try one of the tastier foods like blood worms just to entice him a little bit more.

Hold off on the epsom salt for now just because he isn't bloated.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:57 AM   #6 
Persica

I could try spying on him to see if he'll eat, but he may not be able to swim well enough to even do that. :( Also, is the 3-4 inches of water good enough for him to be able to reach the top?

Also, his poop is usually pretty light, although I wouldn't really call it almost completely white.

Last edited by Persica; 09-09-2011 at 03:00 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:00 AM   #7 
Pataflafla

whoops, forgot to address that. 3-4 inches should be good since he's lethargic and seems to have issues staying upright. It'll make it a lot easier to help him.

If he doesn't want to eat, you could try soaking some of his food in garlic juice (I guess bettas really like it and it'll help boost his immune system if he does eat it).

I honestly don't know what to do in this case, but you could try pming Sakura or Oldfishlady since they always seem to know exactly what to do.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:01 AM   #8 
Persica

Okay, thank you so much.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:18 AM   #9 
caitic10

How is he doing? Has he eaten yet?
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

I would go ahead and get him in QT any small container will work....like the cup some Bettas are bought in....cover it with plastic veggie wrap to retain the heat and humidity for the labyrinth organ and start him on Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt)

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and tannins-either IAL or dried Oak leaf-let this steep for 30-min...shake well and use this water for....50% water change every hour for 2 hours today and tomorrow start 100% daily water changes to complete a 14 day treatment in the premixed Epsom salt/tannin water....you want to maintain the water temp in the 76-77F range, dim lit, quite, low traffic location, hold food for now.....

What kind of live plants do you have and are they actively growing or are you seeing plant death.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote