Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2011, 03:04 AM   #1 
LyzzaRyzz

Possible tank mates for a single male betta, most likely veil tail?

So, most likely, I will be getting a new betta tomorrow.

Normally this would be a joyous occasion, but seeing as its ecause my other bettas died, it's bittersweet.

Anyways, not to dwell, they are I'm that million gallon tank in the sky.

So, I was wondering what kinda of tank mates, if any I could house with a male betta in a 2.5 gal [probbably upgrading to a 5 gal soon]?
I do have a few ramshorns, but how about shrimp? Other smaller fish maybe?
What about those aquatic frogs I've seen so much?

I mean it's not necessary to have a tank mate but it'd be nice!
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:35 AM   #2 
LucasTheFisher

Hmmm, I'm not a Betta expert since I only had 2 Bettas in my life but based from my limited knowledge, housing a tankmate for a betta in a 2.5 gallon is pretty hard.

I think the best possibility is the Ghost Shrimp. But its also risky, since a 2.5 gallon is the basic minimum for a Betta.
LucasTheFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:55 AM   #3 
1fish2fish

Unless you have dense plant cover I'd rule out shrimp. IME they get munched on eventually.

Normally I would suggest a small snail like a nerite but since you already have Rams I think its best if you wait until you upgrade.

Any fish tankmates that can be kept with bettas are also best in groups (your community fishes like tetras, cories, etc) so honestly to have fish tank mates you really need to upgrade to a 10 gallon.

In a 5 gallon you could maybe do a mystery snail or some shrimp (with enough cover).

I don't advocate keeping african dwarf frogs with Bettas or any other fish really because they are prone to being bullied by the fish and not getting enough to eat. They are wonderfull in a species only tank.
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:57 AM   #4 
Bambi

I like using ghost shimp as tank mates, if they live they're fun to see if not they're tasty snacks. They're only a few cents each if they do get munched and easily replaced. But i believe they need decet flowing water so you need a filter set up? I don't use a filter, my tanks aren't cycled, and in my eperiance they have just passed away on me(no fish with them)...granted they were from walmart so I can't say i expected much...

Always remeber to QT new tank mates and plants first though, for about a week. You don't want to introduce anything nasty to your betta.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #5 
LyzzaRyzz

Thank you guys!
I cant wait to get my new betta, and maybe a few shrimps...I might keep them in a seperate bowl, and put one in, see what happens, and if its okay, then add them, if not, have a shrimp bowl!
Do they reproduce?
Old 12-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

Ghost shrimp do reproduce but the fry are hard to raise. If you want shrimp that are super easy to breed, look for red cherry shrimp. They are very pretty too. :) As long as you have places for them to hide (java moss is no work at all to keep and hides your shrimp well) they should reproduce fast enough to counteract your betta eating them. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:36 PM   #7 
LyzzaRyzz

Do crystal shrimp [ the red and clear banded ones] do the same?
My LFS only has algea eating ones, and you can barely see them!
They should be able to order them for me, but i want to dedice on a breed before i order.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #8 
LyzzaRyzz

And shrimp and ramshorns? do they get along?
Old 12-21-2011, 11:01 PM   #9 
Pitluvs

Personally, I wouldn't put shrimp and snails in such a small tank. I have one ramshorn in my 2.65g with Nixon and he's some dirty. Every 100% water change, the water is peppered with tiny snail poop. I'd choose one or the other honestly :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #10 
LyzzaRyzz

Are shrimps dirty?
Ive never kept them before!
Why I want to know, is that, when I upgrade all my tanks, I was thinking of combining snails and shrimp in my 2.5 gal?
Would the shrimp bite them? Or would the snails dissolve them?

And i wouldent let the tank get too populated, I have koi that will happily munch on either one!