Betta Fish Forum banner

Sorority Log - Fish from Aquabid - Photo Heavy

26K views 50 replies 22 participants last post by  MaisyDawgThirteen 
#1 ·
Hey all! I know there is a sorority sticky, and various questions and answers given every day on the topic of sororities. Initially I wanted to keep a record of how I started and kept my sorority for personal reference. It then occurred to me that a log would be a potentially beneficial reference for others who are considering starting a sorority or are just interested in just one example of how one is set up. If there is no interest in

**I am planning to leave out basic/ general rules for sorority keeping, as those are mentioned and discussed in the sticky. However if anyone does want to know or has any questions I'll be happy to answer them here.**

Here is my setup:
Cycled and filtered 20 gal long tank
Heated to 82 degrees
About 8 or so medium to large amazon swords and 2 or 3 compact amazon swords
A bit of duckweed
7 fake plants of various heights
3 small pots
1 giant vase
1 large decor item with hide-y holes
2 baby snails

Top down view

Density from left

Density from right

On how I chose my female betta fish:

I chose to purchase all of my fish from aquabid as young females, all of the same tail type, which is halfmoon plakat. I also purchased all but one from the same breeder. A few of the females are siblings. I did this for a few reasons - I figure fish from the same breeder of the same age and tail type will probably have the most compatible and consistent behavior. I also got a discount for purchasing many fish from the same breeder at the same time. After that decision was made, I simply spent a month selecting an adequate number of beautiful fish from his plentiful selection! There is no one way to select fish for a sorority. Many pet store and chain store bettas have unknown and complicated genetic backgrounds that can make illness an issue. It is also impossible to know the ages of these fish or ask their original breeder or owner about their temperament, diet, etc.

These are the girls purchased:

Orange Copper Dragon

Marble Dragon

Red Dragon *(DOA)*

Yellow Lavender

Black & Red Dragon

Blue Dragon

Purple & Copper Marble

Orange Dragon

Thanks for checking out my thread! I'll be updating regularly as long as there is interest. I plan to just run updates until the sorority is established or as long as you all are interested or have questions.

See less See more
#2 ·
Day 1

DAY 1 -

Shipping:
I received my shipment earlier than expected, unfortunately finding the 3 bettas on the top layer dead. A few of the girls looked as though nothing were wrong, with full color and lots of vigor. Two barely moved in cloudy water, and the rest were somewhere in the middle. Fearful of losing more of them, I immediately transferred them to clear plastic betta cups I'd gotten for free (by asking) from Petco - I did this in my dim bedroom so as not to stress them. Then I emailed my transhipper and seller to let them know I had some DOA fish, and sent accompanying photos.

Acclimation:
I had previously purchased a large pipette so that I could acclimate the fish very slowly. I began dripping 10 drops at a time into their betta cup after acclimating them to the temperature of the water for 30 minutes. I added about 10 drops every 40 minutes. This is a method slower than others use, I just wanted to be very gentle and slow with the girls as their shipping adventure had been less than relaxing. After about 4 hours of doing this, I just filled their cups about 3/4 of the way full with the pipette. This was all done in my dim bedroom as well.

Introductions:
After a few hours in their new water, I opened some blinds slowly and let them adjust to the level of light that would be present in the area where their tank is. Then I gave each girl two pellets and a few frozen bloodworms. Everyone ate! Eventually I moved them to float in the tank. I decided to allow them to see one another, as they had been already on my shelf. It quickly became evident that the Yellow Lavender girl and Orange Dragon were extremely aggressive. It also became evident that the Marble Dragon was not feeling her best, as she had clamped fins and was only resting on the bottom. Everyone else had mostly regained their colors, if not completely, and was happily swimming and checking one another out in their cups. I removed the Marble Dragon to a 5 gallon I had arranged beforehand in case one or two were ill and added a few grains of aquarium salt to her floating cup.

I released the Orange Copper, Purple and Copper Marble, Blue Dragon, and Black and Red Dragon into the tank to see how they'd interact. I left the Yellow Lavender and Orange Dragon in their cups so that they could still interact but could not attack or chase anyone. The girls initially showed no signs of aggression, but soon began to notice one another and checking each other out. To my surprise, there was a good deal of flaring and a few tail slaps, but no fin nipping or jaw locking or signs of extreme aggression. It quickly became obvious that the Blue Dragon was at the bottom of the chain. The B&R Dragon just kind of did her own thing while the Purple Marble and Orange Copper fought it out.

For today I just let those 4 out for about an hour with no damage. Everyone but the Blue Dragon went back into their cups for the night. I'm going to allow them to see each other for a few more days and increase the time they're exposed to one another, and I'll add the Yellow Lavender before the Orange Dragon.

Aside from the DOA's and the Marble Dragon being clamped and inactive, sorority DAY 1 is a success.

#7 ·
A harem? As in females with a male?!
We tell people not to do that. It usually ends up with a dead male- as the females will gang up on him.

Greentea- Very lovely looking females!!! I hope they get along alright! ^^

#9 ·
Wow lovely girls.

I'm a little confused. You said you had more then one DOA but you only show one DOA female in your pictures, Was it a typing error?

#12 ·
I adore the marble(hope she pulls through) and the purple copper. ~is also stalking~
I have a 20long i plan to make a sorority tank full of Aquabid girls and/or girls bought on here and another betta forum i'm on.

#16 ·
I'm sorry :-(. Sometimes shipping is just really tough on them. I hope the rest do ok. They are all beautiful.

#20 ·
Sorry for the delay, here are updates.

DAY 2

First I fed everyone about 4 pellets in their cups. A pointer given to me when looking up sorority information was that slightly overfed girls are happy girls!

I released the Blue Dragon first, followed by the B&R Dragon, Yellow, and then Purple Copper Marble marble girl. While very aggressive in her cup, the large yellow girl is easily the most relaxed in the tank. She ignores everyone for the most part, or swims along in peace. Proving themselves the day before to be feisty, the Orange Dragon and Orange Copper girl remain in their cups while I let the less aggressive girls reestablish rank. This is done quickly with the Blue girl swimming for her life. The Purple Marble only seems to flare if someone comes near her.

I let out the Orange Copper first, and she begins relentlessly chasing everyone she sees. I thought this was interesting because she is the smallest of the fish. (She does have the biggest fins to body size though) I quickly release the Orange Dragon so that she may put a stop to that. The Orange Dragon is definitely the alpha female here, but isn't a jerk like the Orange Copper girl can be. The Copper is now too busy swimming and looking for a hiding spot to harass the others.

They do the usual chasing and hiding with nothing too aggressive. With my boyfriend home to check on them every once in awhile, I am satisfied with how things are looking and decide to leave them all in the tank for the day while I am going to the places I work and class.

I come home to check on them at about 9:30 at night. Everyone looks pretty good. There had been no fin nipping or anything yet, so I wasn't surprised when 3 girls each had a tear in their caudal fin. I couldn't tell if it was torn from flaring or if they had been nipped. Regardless, I decided to cup the two aggressive orange females for the night and leave everyone else in the tank for their first sleepover...! I am hoping they all continue to get along and behave into day 3.

And here's my favorite photo from Day 2 :)

#21 ·
Day 3

Day 3

With the two orange girls still in their cups, I decided to feed them all at the same time and see if it incited any riots...I gave the girls in cups 3 pellets each.

Strangely, when I opened the tank they all swam up to check me out and ignored one another. First I dropped a few pellets right next to each girls mouth to make sure they all got some food. Next, I started dropping pellets equidistant to the mouths of two girls to see how they would decide to divide it up. I expected the naturally more docile of girls to just let the alphas have it, but that was not the case. Whoever was fastest, got the pellet. The Purple Marble girl is from a different breeder than the rest, and is having the most trouble understanding what the pellets are for. She ate one only and then went back down to her little pot.

I released the two Orange girls into the tank at the same time so as to prevent the Orange Copper from picking on everyone. The Orange Dragon has established her territory as alpha... and it's a very fitting spot. Right around the top and inside the lip of the crown on the decoration of Shiva. She mostly stays there now and calms down the copper or chases other girls away from her roost.

I decided to leave the girls all out in the tank again today, since yesterday had gone so well. I would be home more to watch them today, and when I was gone my boyfriend was home to check on them every once in awhile for me.

Nothing too exciting to report on that front. The Marble Girl has what are definitely a few little nips in her anal fin, and other than that everyone looked the same. I haven't seen anyone locking jaws, or anyone picking on anyone else relentlessly. There seems to be a bit more chasing today, but with very few aggressive acts going with it. I've decided to leave them ALL in the tank overnight tonight. I'm sure I'll wake up at 3 am in a cold sweat to check on them, but I've got to let them completely settle sometime...

Tomorrow, I leave to go home (to Seattle) for the weekend. I feel comfortable leaving them alone, but not leaving them alone without food or supervision for two days, so unfortunately I will have to cup and float them. I am hoping that because they will still see one another, they won't have to reestablish everything next Monday. We'll see...I will be asking my neighbor to feed them for me so they can keep getting their strength up after shipping.

Here are photos from today. And a video if I can link it properly! The video is from right around feeding time, so you can see them together and how they act with one another.

Here is a link to the video:

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/greentea191/Fishy guys gal/?action=view&current=MVI_3039.mp4

I hope you guys are able to learn from this log and are enjoying my photos and updates! As mentioned I will be gone this weekend but back
next week.

FYI - Korwhord has emailed me back and agreed to replace all 3 DOA's as well as the white marble girl who passed. Jennifer has also agreed to waive shipping fees on those 4 for me. This is great because 1) It's fair, and 2) I now have the option of getting up to 2 more girls, or just getting 1 and 3 boys for breeding. Woohoo!

#22 ·
Glad to hear it(I love that black and red one).

if it where me i'd be sure to get a male or two in case i decided to breed(probably one dragon and one not-dragon). >_<

#23 ·
I would see her new stock and how you like it but you should probably get at least two males for breeding. I would be very very intrested in the purple marble or the blue dragon fry myself.

#25 ·
Yay for happy healthy girls! I love the tank setup, how it's mostly natural but with a few fanciful touches of color.

#27 ·
I am sorry to hear about the ones you lost :cry: Its great news though that he is going to replace them and your shipping from that transhipper is going to be waived as well. :-D

I really like your tank setup very neat. I also like your selection of females and the colors your chose, very fabulous. ;-)

#30 ·
Day 4...5..6???

Hey all sorry for the lack of update! I have been crazy busy. Here's an update on my sorority!

Turns out, I didn't cup them when I drove up to Seattle. I fed them a lot and decided to leave them alone and hope for the best.. When I got home at 1 am Monday morning, they were all fine. Hungry! But fine.

Today, the sorority seems to be at a sort of stand still, a few girls have their own territories, and there is still some chasing and a bit of nipping. The nipping doesn't seem to tear fins though. There were some torn fins around day 2 or 3 when I posted that there were, and since then they have been healing with no new rips. Because there is still a bit of nipping I think I will add a few more plants.

A few of them are still having a bit of trouble eating pellets, but they're all trying to. I've named them, I'll post names with their photos!

NEW GIRL UPDATE - I HAVE PURCHASED A GIANT FEMALE FOR BREEDING AND A NEW GIRL FROM KORWHORD. I would have been able to add a few more girls but with the giant I am just going to leave it at 8 females. Has anyone kept a sorority with 1 giant and other females of regular size? Of course, photos below...

Sorority photos -

Names from left to right: Belle, Penny, Clementine, Suma, and Lexie

Lexie under Belle

Beautiful blue Belle, and CowCow in bottom left.

The queen of the roost, Suma.

CowCow following Suma to food.

My docile females looking like Yin and Yang. Clementine and Belle.

CowCow and Lexie being cute.

Lexie, Belle, CowCow and Penny.

HERE IS THE GIANT AND THE NEW REGULAR SIZED GIRL! :D

Giant -

Salamander female -

***I think from now on I will only be updating with changes and when the new girls are added. I'd love to open up the thread and answer any questions anyone might have - about sororities, about me, about buying from aquabid, anything you can think of.***

And thanks for all the compliments! I hope I am able to help other forum members.

#31 ·
You have some beautiful females in there. Excuse me while I just go and steal them from you :mrgreen:

When I have the space and funds, I'm definitely going to be doing something similar. The whole process of purchasing and transhipping always makes me nervous. Although our transhipper is always really nice.

I had two imported females that have found themselves in my VT going-outside-in-summer sorority tub to make room for my breeding stock.

I think they know they're a little too good for that common riff raff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.