Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2011, 06:30 AM   #1 
londongirl

White spots ???

My friends bettas have white spots on ends on most fins.
She has 2females and a male in a community tank with an angelfish,6platys,2catfish,2mollies,1baby pleco, n a few tetras, shes asked me how to treat them but hasn't given me any pics of them does any1 know what it might be and possibly how 2 treat them shes had them for about 3months n got all the fish from same place only new thing added to tank was plants n an apple snail which i now have as it was eating all her plants.

Any advice i could give her would be great, shes looking for epsom salts but cant find anything but aquarium n tonic salts. Will she have to treat them all signally or all together her tanks about 15-16 gallons n before any1 says it i've told her countless times that its over crowded
londongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:08 AM   #2 
Myates

First off.. she needs to take out the two females and the male from that tank.
Angel fish and bettas are a big no-no. Eventually one can kill the other. Not a good situation at all. Not to mention angels should be in 30g+ as it is.
Secondly, males and females should NEVER be housed together. Period.
Third, females need at least 5-6+ in a group to live together fine. They may "act" fine for a while, but in time, one may eventually kill the other. Having more means the chasing and such is spread out enough as to not over stress just one.

It sounds like Ich, if they look like grains of salt. Here is what is needed:

Ick
•Symptoms: Betta has white dots (looks like he was sprinkled with salt) all over his body and head, even eyes. Lethargic, No appetite, Clamped Fins, Might dart and scratching against decor
•Treatment: You can treat Ick either conservatively or with medication. Ick is a parasite. Because ick is contagious, it is preferable to treat the whole tank when one fish is found to have it. Ick is temperature sensitive: Leave your betta in the community tank and raise temperature to 85 F. Then you can choose to treat with salt or medication. Conservative: Add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Perform daily 100% water changes to remove fallen parasites before they can reproduce. Replace the water with the right amount of salt. Do not continue this treatment for more than 14 days. If it fails or you do not want to use salt, treat with Jungle’s Parasite Clear, API Super Ick Cure, or Kordon Rid Ich Plus. If your betta lives in a jar/bowl, then it can be difficult to heat the water. There are heaters for smaller containers, but you can also float the quarantine container in a larger heated tank during treatment. Do a full water change every day and add an appropriate amount of medication to the water.

You tell her it's over crowded, also tell her half of those fish will die because of not only the over crowding, but because of the types of fish housed together. Just a sad, sad situation. Have her read any comments posted here by others to show her it's not just your opinion.

Last edited by Myates; 09-29-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:35 AM   #3 
londongirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Angel fish and bettas are a big no-no. Eventually one can kill the other.

You tell her it's over crowded, also tell her half of those fish will die because of not only the over crowding, but because of the types of fish housed together. Just a sad, sad situation. Have her read any comments posted here by others to show her it's not just your opinion.
I thought it might be ich but wasn't 100% sure or not n had no idea how 2 treat it.
Both me n my partner have a baby angel fish with our males in community tanks n have no problems they don't chase n males don't flare but saying that both baby angels are female. I think it depends solely on the temperament of the fish.
londongirl is offline   Reply With Quote