Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2011, 12:27 PM   #1 
Findlay

Betta "toys"

I've accepted the fact that my VT is a tail biter. I know some fish are just quirky like that, but I'm not gonna sit around and do nothing for him! X0

So - my question. What are some good ways to distract him? I know about mirrors, which seem to make him stress...
But what else?
Any 'toys' for a betta to play with?
How long before they get bored?
Creative solutions?

Any feedback will be super appreciated
Findlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #2 
missm83

You can get him :Betta Bed Leaf Hammock,Betta Floating Log, ping pong balls,hamster plastic tubes...
Make sure you have plenty places for him to hide...spend some time talking to him and maybe showing him few colorful things you have around your house, also keep changing the decor of the tank around.
goodluck!
ps sometimes i also hide his pelets under gravel...i drop them in then when they sink to the bottom i move the gravel with a spoon and hide it..he loves it!!

Last edited by missm83; 09-29-2011 at 12:47 PM.
missm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:25 PM   #3 
MinibotLove

I would think some shiny beads or marbles strung on a short piece of fishing line from the top would keep them entertained, but I haven't yet tested this theory with my guys yet - still looking for some shiny stone or glass beads without metal connectors.

A lot of people suggest ping-pong balls because they float and they're easy for the bettas to nudge around and play with.

If you're crafty, plastic canvas can be great for building your own houses/tunnels/other amusements for them, and with some aquarium sealant you can cover them in stones or gravel, or even use them as a secret tunnel beneath a bunch of plants - great for recycling ripped plastic or silk plants that have come off their bases.
MinibotLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #4 
lovebug009

i have found my bettas are entertained with a laser pointer. I am VERY careful not to point it at them, I just point it on the table outside of the tank and move it around. They all seem interested by it.
lovebug009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:27 AM   #5 
youlovegnats

Aaahhh People don't recommend the betta hammock, as it has gutted people's fish before. It has a wire running through it.

I just suggest having lots of hiding places, and maybe some mirror time 30 min a day. :)
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #6 
lovebug009

I got one of these to try out ....
http://www.petmountain.com/product/a...m=11442-524657

My Betta PePe loves it so i just bought 4 more, 3 for my other bettas and one for my Chinese algae eater in my community tank. It gives them a lot of cover but you can always see them.
lovebug009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
busy, distract, happy, tail biting, toys