Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x day, about 5 pellets each time

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every 2-3 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0 (changed water yesterday evening
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: ?
Hardness: ?
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins looking ragged
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hasn't made a bubble nest in about a week, otherwise seems fine.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A couple weeks ago fins seemed to lose color around the edges.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)?I bought him about a month ago, I don't know how long he was in the pet store.

I'm worried about Moma. I first noticed that his fins were looking sort of clear around the edges about 10 days after I bought him, but I couldn't remember if he had always looked that way or not. He has always been very active, bubble nests, good appetite... I try to keep him stimulated with decorations, we play with a mirror once in a while, etc.

I woke up this morning and the clearish part of his fins is gone, and now the edges are ragged.

I realize his living conditions aren't ideal... I'm a college student and don't have a lot of room. I'm going home at the end of next week and if you guys think it would help, I have a ten-gallon I can bring back for him. If I did that, I'd also spring for a heater, filter, etc.

Please halp!!!!
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum......

The 2gal unfiltered tank is fine, however, I would cut back on the water changes some.....even in a small system it is important to balance...too much can be as bad as not enough....

In a 2gal unfiltered tank-water changes of twice weekly-1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality-provided that the Betta isn't overfed and uneaten food is removed within a reasonable time.

If his fin are in really bad shape you can do a 10 day salt treatment while in a small QT container using a premixed treatment water and 100% daily water changes for the 10 days in the QT.....

Premixed treatment water-use a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add aquarium salt 2tsp/gal and tannins-either IAL or Oak leaf-let this water steep for 30min-Shake well before use and use this Tx water for 50% water changes every 15min for 1hour today and tomorrow start 100% daily for 10 days....he needs to be kept in a small QT container during this treatment in the treatment water....

Depending on the degree of fin damage-it can take weeks to months for full regrowth...new fin growth will often look clear to white in color-later it may or may not change to the color of the Betta and sometimes they never return to their full glory.....

Re-eval your tank for items that could cause damage to his fins-like plastic plants, other decorations, too rough substrate...etc.....also watch for tail/fin biting.......

You may or may not need a heater-but its a good idea to have one on hand-your goal is to maintain a somewhat stable temp in the 76-80F range....you do need a thermometer to monitor the tank water and water used for water changes....

Can you post a pic of his fins

Keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote