Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #1 
TwilightNite

Exclamation Ripped fins

Sorry I have posted thread so soon but my luck just keeps getting worse!
O.K. so both of my fish have very raggy fins one of them slipped to the other side of the divider and both of them are REALLY torn up. should I use AQ salt? And What do I do after that?
TwilightNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

one teaspoon of AQ salt per gallon, if you wish. one teaspoon per 12 hours so they get used to it, and no more than 10-14 days.

How did he get to the other side? did he jump over? make sure the water level is 3 inches lower than the divider top - that may help. Also add (soft fake, or live) plants along the divider so they cannot see each other constantly. Make sure they have hiding spots :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #3 
Myates

You got part of it Sena =)

1 tsp AQ salt per gallon, 100% daily water changes, 10-14 days.
But that is for fin rot. As long as you keep up on the water changes, just adding in stress coat to help fin regrowth and slime coat health should be just fine. Clean water is the best preventative. So can up the water changes per week for a few weeks until they are healed up better.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:36 PM   #4 
TwilightNite

Thank you for helping me out guys! what I think happened is that fish got to the other side is that I have an EXTREMELY in-sturdy divider and I think It fell over in the middle of the night and the fish were together and then when they were fed up with each other they both went back to their separate sides is the only scenario I can think of happening. With water Changes I have one drawback, I can't do water changes every day so could I just keep them in separate 0.5 tanks and change water every day in that until they get better?
Old 09-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Technically you could as long as you have a way to keep the water about 23 degrees or warmer :) just a suggestion anyways...
Old 09-28-2011, 08:08 AM   #6 
Myates

You can keep them in their normal home, with a sturdier divider now lol, just up the water % &/or days per week to keep it clean if you can't do daily changes.
What size is the tank? Real or fake plants? I would suggest just upping the amount you do per week. Either add in a day or two, or the % you do do each week for a couple weeks to make sure it is extra clean. Stress coat will help out a lot in the regrowth.
Putting them in a smaller container is just added stress they don't really need.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #7 
TwilightNite

Okay, then I will keep them in their same tank. I will try to aim for twice a week but even that is a little steep. I have fake plants, and my tank is 10 gallons so It is really hard for me to do more than once a week. is that still O.K.? (I am so sorry that this is taking awhile it is just cause I don't have a lot of time during the day and I am a little in the dark with all this) Thank you Guy for helping me once again =).
Old 09-28-2011, 11:54 PM   #8 
Sakura8

So they are in a divided 10g? Then 30% twice a week should be plenty, especially if you have a good filter going. AQ salt is optional; it can be a little hard to use in a big tank like a 10g. If you do choose to use it, let us know. I definitely recommend API Stress Coat. It will really help. Also, a high protein diet is great for fin regrowth so feed lots of frozen foods.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #9 
TwilightNite

Thank you Sakura! I will do try to do 30%, but the thing is I am also kinda low on money so no filter @ the moment. so is 30% still fine? I am also wondering this: I have this plant and I can clip off it and just put it in water and the roots will grow in a month or so and you can keep it in water if you want to you don't have to transplant it within a certain time. Could I use it to be a live plant in the water so I can limit my fish from seeing each other? Would that work at all? I was just thinking that it might put less stress on my fish so they won't have to see each other all the time. Do you all think it would work? =)

Last edited by TwilightNite; 09-29-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

If you know the plant is safe for the fish, it will work. I have had to add numerous plants along my divider to stop Maine from stressing out my poor Spartan.

Tags
fins, ripped up