Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #1 
Ajones108

Can you scare/stress your betta to the point of death?

Hi everyone! I come here with an odd question today. Normally, when I do my water changes, I just scoop my bettas into a soap-free tupperware bowl and they're cool with it. Gradually add in new water, float them, they're good to go. Well, I decided that putting my rather large DT male Akani in a small bowl was cruel. So I went to Wal-Mart and bought a $5 cylindrical glass-type thing so that he could swim around while I was doing his rather extensive water change.

I added some water to the container, then scooped him up in a tupperware, and carefully attempted to dump him into the glass. For a few minutes he seemed stressed. Winded almost, his gills were moving rather fast. After a few minutes he was OK. Insert water change. I remove some of the water from his vase and begin adding in new water, 50% 50% ratio since it's water he's had before. The poor fish begins swirling around the vase trying to get his bearing with the flowing water. I felt like I was making the poor boy dizzy.

I know that here in a bit I have to add him into the tank and I'm afraid that even with a 75% new 25% old in his vase before I net him, he'll have a heart-attack or something while in the net when I go to add him back to his 5g tank.

So, can you stress your betta so much from a water change that he can die? Water conditions are favorable and should not factor in any stress. Thanks!

Ashley
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #2 
EverythingNice55

Hmm, no I don't think so. My betta, Mr Jingles, gets really wild when I do a water change. It's just the way he is. I suggest that you should do quick water changes so your betta doesn't get too dizzy or confused. Good luck! :)
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #3 
Ajones108

I'm normally very quick with my water changes but this one was a 100% one and I had to swish gravel and everything because it was so bad. I'm on the process of adding more of the new water to his vase for another 15 minutes before I net him and put him in the tank. I just get so worried. @_@
Old 09-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #4 
Myates

They can stress out to the point where they can die shortly after, but it's not that easy.
Try using a turkey baster to remove/add in water in the vase when acclimating him, it's less evasive and you can control how fast/much a lot easier.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #5 
betta dude

dont think so
betta dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #6 
Ajones108

Well, I originally got the cylinder thing to put my angelfish in because he's so big and I have no bowl that will fit him. But when I went to do the angelfish tank, I was too scared to net him. -.- I was going to move him to a new tank with 100% brand new water because his tank is overran with planaria and a few pet store snails but I'm just terrified to net him, and I have no gravel or plants for the new tank. fml.

The betta is fine. He's in his castle avoiding me now.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #7 
ollief9

Quote:
Well, I originally got the cylinder thing to put my angelfish in
WHAT??

Angelfish need at LEAST 30 gallons! They get huge!
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #8 
HatsuneMiku

ollie don't worrie =D .. i think u mis-read somewhere .. she's using the cilinder thing to put her angel fish in .. while she's doing water changes on her tank ..

and i don't think doing w/c will be that stressful on ur betta .. cus ur not doing it everyday =) .. eventually they will get used to it .. like for example if u do the 100% every other week .. and cup them .. they will get used to it .. so when u come with a cup .. they will know that they have to go in .. and they get new water ..

my bettas are so used to w/c that they will swim right up to the cup when i need to cup them for 100% changes =) .. they come up to the cup when i'm doing 50% changes too .. cus they think they will get cuped ..

Last edited by HatsuneMiku; 09-24-2011 at 02:05 PM.
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #9 
ollief9

the tank is probably still too small if the fish has to be taken out for water changes
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:07 PM   #10 
Bambi

My blue girl stress stripes over everything except breeding(oddly). but she hasn't died yet.

It /is/ possible but considering they can jump from their bowl on a desk, hit the floor and be there for a while before being found and still survive i would assume it's hard to do.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote