Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #1 
Monet
New Member
 
Monet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA, East Coast
Unhappy I Think My Betta Is Dying (Sudden Symptoms)

I would really appreicate if anyone here could offer me any possible explanations/advice for my betta's sudden symptoms. This is what's going on:

I'm not an expert on betta care, but did some research on this site and others 6 months ago when I bought my buddy Monet and things seemed to be going great until today. He's a regular veil tail I bought from a chain petstore, and until today he's seemed perfectly healthy. A few hours ago I noticed that he was hanging around the top of his tank, keeping his mouth near the surface and hardly moving at all. He's still doing it. About ten minutes ago as I watched, he started to sink down through the water. I thought maybe he was dying right then and there, but when he got about halfway to the bottom of his tank he stopped and swam back up. Now he's back up there, looking pathetic. Every once in a while he swims for just a couple seconds but is mostly still.

Another frightening thing: Looking at his tail, it looks as if it's been damaged. It wasn't like that this morning and I'm not sure how it happened - I thought the decorations I have in his tank were safe. Wish I could get him to flare so I could take a good look, but he's too lethargic to do that.

Something that might something to do with all this is that a few days ago, I moved him into a new tank. I thought it would be good for him that I was upgrading him to larger home, but I can't help but think that his sudden illness might have something to do with the move. I used treated (with betta treatment I bought at a petstore) tapwater just like I have been for months, and the water is kept warm by a heater, so I know he's not cold. I did put some new plant bulbs in the aquarium...don't know if that could possibly have anything to do with it?

Sorry this is such a lengthy post. I was trying to give all the info I can in hopes that somebody can give me some advice so hopefully I can save Monet.

Edit: Now he's looking grey - literally - around the gills, too.

Last edited by Monet; 09-29-2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: New change in fish's appearance.
Monet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #2 
fightergirl2710
Member
 
fightergirl2710's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mumbai, India
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
I'm sorry your betta isn't feeling well. Could you fill in the form and paste it here so we can help you better?
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:45 PM   #3 
Monet
New Member
 
Monet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA, East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightergirl2710 View Post
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
I'm sorry your betta isn't feeling well. Could you fill in the form and paste it here so we can help you better?
Yes, thank you. I'm sorry - I didn't know about that form. Here, I've filled it out:


What size is your tank? - 3.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? - 79 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? - No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? - No
Is your tank heated? - Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? - None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? - Omega 1 'betta buffet' flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? - Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? - I just put him in this new tank a couple days ago. I'm planning on doing it once a week, per the instructions that came with it.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? I was planning on changing 50% with this tank, though I haven't actually done it yet.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? - API 'Aquarium Pharmeceuticals' Betta Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? - His tail looks torn up. And - yikes! - now that I look at him I notice he looks a little grey around the head. Every time I look at him his tail and fins look more shriveled.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's lethargic and unresponsive
When did you start noticing the symptoms? - A few hours ago (today)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? - No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? - No
How old is your fish (approximately)? - I bought him 6 months ago from a pet store. He was adult sized. I don't know how old he was.

Last edited by Monet; 09-29-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Monet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:54 PM   #4 
fishy friend2
Member
 
fishy friend2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monet View Post
I would really appreicate if anyone here could offer me any possible explanations/advice for my betta's sudden symptoms. This is what's going on:

I'm not an expert on betta care, but did some research on this site and others 6 months ago when I bought my buddy Monet and things seemed to be going great until today. He's a regular veil tail I bought from a chain petstore, and until today he's seemed perfectly healthy. A few hours ago I noticed that he was hanging around the top of his tank, keeping his mouth near the surface and hardly moving at all. He's still doing it. About ten minutes ago as I watched, he started to sink down through the water. I thought maybe he was dying right then and there, but when he got about halfway to the bottom of his tank he stopped and swam back up. Now he's back up there, looking pathetic. Every once in a while he swims for just a couple seconds but is mostly still.

Another frightening thing: Looking at his tail, it looks as if it's been damaged. It wasn't like that this morning and I'm not sure how it happened - I thought the decorations I have in his tank were safe. Wish I could get him to flare so I could take a good look, but he's too lethargic to do that.

Something that might something to do with all this is that a few days ago, I moved him into a new tank. I thought it would be good for him that I was upgrading him to larger home, but I can't help but think that his sudden illness might have something to do with the move. I used treated (with betta treatment I bought at a petstore) tapwater just like I have been for months, and the water is kept warm by a heater, so I know he's not cold. I did put some new plant bulbs in the aquarium...don't know if that could possibly have anything to do with it?

Sorry this is such a lengthy post. I was trying to give all the info I can in hopes that somebody can give me some advice so hopefully I can save Monet.

Edit: Now he's looking grey - literally - around the gills, too.
This is exactly what is happening to my Betta after I put him into a bigger home I expected him to be a lot happier but I don't know what is wrong with him
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:55 PM   #5 
fightergirl2710
Member
 
fightergirl2710's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mumbai, India
Is he bloated by any chance? Or unable to stay afloat? Can you check if the water has become too cold or overheated?
Your care is ok, I would change the water 2 times a week though, once 50% and another 100%. Betta flakes only are not the best food, they can cause bloat and cloud the water. Add some frozen bloodworms and pellets to his diet.
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #6 
Monet
New Member
 
Monet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA, East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightergirl2710 View Post
Is he bloated by any chance? Or unable to stay afloat? Can you check if the water has become too cold or overheated?
Your care is ok, I would change the water 2 times a week though, once 50% and another 100%. Betta flakes only are not the best food, they can cause bloat and cloud the water. Add some frozen bloodworms and pellets to his diet.
The water temp is at 79 degrees. I don't think he's bloated. He occasionally sinks to the bottom of his tank but then swims back up to the top, which seems like the only place he wants to hang out now.

Thanks for the water advice - I was wondering about the instructions that came with the tank, thought they seemed a little low.

I actually recently bought some pellets to try but haven't given them to him yet. Good to know they're better than the flakes. I don't know if I have access to bloodworms or not, but can check.
Monet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:02 PM   #7 
Monet
New Member
 
Monet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA, East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy friend2 View Post
This is exactly what is happening to my Betta after I put him into a bigger home I expected him to be a lot happier but I don't know what is wrong with him

:( Yeah, I thought mine'd be happier in this bigger aquarium. He seemed fine for the fist couple days.
Monet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #8 
fightergirl2710
Member
 
fightergirl2710's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mumbai, India
I can't think of what can help really, but I suggest trying a partial (50%) water change first, to see if it perks him up. If it doesn't I think you should QT him to a smaller container and float him in his tank to keep warm. Since he wants to stay at the top, it'll help, he won't have to keep swimming up and down.. Since he has no bloating, epsom salt won't be of any use but if you want you can put some aquarium or rock salt in his qt cup for his tail. Just dissolve 1 tsp of it to a gallon of aquarium water, slowly acclimate him to it and change the water everyday for 5-10 days, no more.
I'm sorry I can't help much, but I hope the water change helps him, it's usually the water. :/
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:11 PM   #9 
Monet
New Member
 
Monet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA, East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightergirl2710 View Post
I can't think of what can help really, but I suggest trying a partial (50%) water change first, to see if it perks him up. If it doesn't I think you should QT him to a smaller container and float him in his tank to keep warm. Since he wants to stay at the top, it'll help, he won't have to keep swimming up and down.. Since he has no bloating, epsom salt won't be of any use but if you want you can put some aquarium or rock salt in his qt cup for his tail. Just dissolve 1 tsp of it to a gallon of aquarium water, slowly acclimate him to it and change the water everyday for 5-10 days, no more.
I'm sorry I can't help much, but I hope the water change helps him, it's usually the water. :/
No, you have been helpful. Thank you! I didn't know what to do, so any advice really is appreciated. I'm going to do the water change right now.
Monet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #10 
fightergirl2710
Member
 
fightergirl2710's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mumbai, India
Good luck! I have my fingers crossed for the little guy. :)
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Betta Diseases and Symptoms frogipoi Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 0 06-22-2011 09:44 PM
What are the symptoms of a stressed betta? SilverMagic Betta Fish Care 7 05-24-2011 12:32 AM
Sudden Betta Aggression New2Betas Betta Fish Care 5 04-17-2010 07:38 PM
Sick Betta, No Normal Symptoms? agraham3991 Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 7 08-19-2009 08:10 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.