Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #1 
IamBonner

Question bad reaction to aqu. salt

Edward somehow ripped his fin yesterday so I changed his water and added aqu salt to the mix. When he returned to his tank he went straight to the bottom and stayed here. He did not look like a happy fish :( is this normal.
IamBonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #2 
fightergirl2710

Not really :/..
How much salt did you put in? How and did you acclimate him to the new water? Also, did you change his water after seeing him act this way?
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #3 
IamBonner

I had him in a one gallon bowl with his origional water and added some of the mew water to the bowl for a few before putting him in the tank. He's done this before when I first got him, I put 1/8 tsp in his water and he didn't like it at all so I immediatly changed the water. At the time I thought maybe he was just really stressed out. This time I used a whole teaspoon and it did sit for about an hour before changing it out. And yes I immediattly removed over half and added fresh salt free water. He was fine for a whilw but now he's back on the bottom not looking too great :( (please forgive me for any spelling and grammer mistakes, I'm usuing my phone to post)
Old 09-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #4 
fightergirl2710

I think he must be stressed from having his water changed so many times. He should be fine, just give him a bit of shade and peace. Did you acclimate him properly? Introducing a little water at a time?
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #5 
HatsuneMiku

did you pre-mix (melt and stir) the aq salt in some tank water before putting it in?

maybe it wasn't diluted enough before putting it in ? .. directly putting salt in could leave concentrated salt pockets if not stirred or distributed evenly .. maybe he's just avoiding the concentrated areas
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:18 PM   #6 
Larsa

sounds like he isnt used to it yet and is stressed. New bettas can be like that at first. I would have put him in a small cup with warm dechlorinated water, did a full warm water change on his tank ( less likely to get sick with that torn fin) added conditioner and a tsp of AQ salt, float his cup in the tank for a little bit so the salt can dissolve and settle, then tip the cup gentley and slowly in the new water and let him swim outta it so he isnt too stressed. I would just let him rest for a while but occasionally check on him and his water temperature. If he's not eating or active for a day or so he might be really stressed or possibly sick :( If he's new he is more than likely stressed out with the water changes. Make sure not too add to much AQ salt- maybe add it gradually before adding him in so-and keep water changes as stress-free as possible for him! Sometimes you can see AQ salt kinda "fizz" when you add it in- some bettas dont like that. Its better to pre-mix everything first :)

Last edited by Larsa; 09-29-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Was the salt dissolved before added? I had one betta who had an intolerance to salt. I used not even 1/3 a teaspoon in the ten gallon (5 gallons of water at that time) and he died. But his immune system was weak. Some bettas really dislike the salt.

Try staying off the salt, just keep his water warm, and clean, and feed good foods :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #8 
IamBonner

The water sat for an hour so the salt would have time to dissolve and I have it a good swish before adding it. I may not have given him enough time yo get used to the new water(he had about 15 mins) but I didn't worry too much about it because peta never has that issue (currently fighting fin rot). Edward always freaks a little when I change his water but its not lilke I can avoid it! :( I've had him for about 3 weeks and he looked rough when I adopted him. We've had a lot of ups and downs. I'm starting to think he's just a sickly fish. Peta is thirving except for this finrot. I hope edward isn't really sick. His fins have never fully opened (temp at about 78) and he has sportatic behavior but he always eats, never swims from me (except wh when I'm holding a net) and he's adorable. Ugh, he's also stressful. I'll try slowly adding the salt water in a few days, I really don't want his fin to get an infection.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #9 
IamBonner

I honestly like the idea of avoiding the salt all together. Super clean, warm water it is :) maybe ill stop traumatizing him now :(
Old 09-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Can you post a picture? He might have clamped fins which can be from a couple things
Your fish could be more fragile
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote