Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2011, 08:47 PM   #11 
1fish2fish

OK let me get this straight...

The fish ripped his fins so you put him in a 1 gallon QT.. and you added how much salt? I saw 1/8tsp and 1tsp... which one? Both are correct amounts. Personally I use a minimum of 1tsp per gallon if I feel salt is necessary (which I rarely do).

When you put the fish in the tank he immediately sank to the bottom? Understandable if the fish is overly spooky and you transferred him from his home into a random tank. How long did you wait to see if he would recover for the mini-shock of moving tanks?

What was the temp of his orignial tank compared to the QT tank?

1tsp of salt is not going to hurt your fish on a short basis... not even if it's really sick. There could be an underlying issue but the salt isn't going to hurt the fish.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:57 PM   #12 
Sena Hansler

I also may note, that you don't need salt for torn fins unless they are rotting. Usually with clean and warm water they should heal, with good foods too.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #13 
nel3

sounds like my VT got into the AQ salt enough that he doesnt react well with it now. cant even put half tsp into a half gallon without tail damage.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:02 PM   #14 
IamBonner

I can't post one right now but ill try to get one up tomorrow. His fins were a lot more clamped than the are now. I thought he was making real progress. Right now he is swimming around just fine. He is a little spastic but that's just who he is. He came from very cold amd dirty conditions with little swim room. Considdering where he came from he's going pretty well. I was with my friend when she boight him and he looks like he did that day, which is bettr than the condition I adopted him under. Ill try and get a picture up tomorrow. There is a fairly recent one in the post "new dude is very blue"
IamBonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:44 PM   #15 
IamBonner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
OK let me get this straight...

The fish ripped his fins so you put him in a 1 gallon QT.. and you added how much salt? I saw 1/8tsp and 1tsp... which one? Both are correct amounts. Personally I use a minimum of 1tsp per gallon if I feel salt is necessary (which I rarely do).

When you put the fish in the tank he immediately sank to the bottom? Understandable if the fish is overly spooky and you transferred him from his home into a random tank. How long did you wait to see if he would recover for the mini-shock of moving tanks?

What was the temp of his orignial tank compared to the QT tank?

1tsp of salt is not going to hurt your fish on a short basis... not even if it's really sick. There could be an underlying issue but the salt isn't going to hurt the fish.
I'm sorry for the confusion. I'm at an actual computer now so I can see what I'm typing. The one gallon bowl is just their holding tank for when I'm cleaning the whole tank. He was only in it for about half an hour while I rinsed the rocks. The 1/8 tsp was added about 3 weeks ago when I first got him, he didn't look too hot and I thought it would be a harmless preventative approach to boost his adaption. But he flipped out and I immediatly had to switch out half of the water. He had clamped fins till about a week ago (granted, they're not exactly open now but they're a lot nicer then 3 weeks ago). I really thought he was adapting well, he made his first bubble nest yesterday! :) and then today when I noticed he had ripped his fin I thought I should add some salt just incase I didn't notice it and it's been like that since his last change 3 days ago. Well, he wasn't pleased. I used 1 tsp when was left in water for about an hour before I introduced him to it. I did add some of the new water to his holding bowl and let him swim around for about 10 mins and he didn't seem too annoyed by it so I went ahead and put him back in the now clean tank. I walked him back to my room, plugged in the heater and the light and then proceeded to clean out Peta's tank. When I returned Peta to the room (he has no problems with my cleaning techniques or the salt) I noticed Edward was just sitting on the rocks, something he hadn't done since day one. So, once again I removed half the water and added fresh no salted. he seems alright now but he's such a bipolar little dude.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:50 PM   #16 
IamBonner

taken about 45 mins ago.
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2011, 12:24 AM   #17 
Sena Hansler

Okay his fins are not as bad as I had invisioned... His fin is a bit split, but that should be okay. The top fin is similar to my Voldemort's, and he is fine :) He looks pretty good. I'd say get rid of the salt water entirely (not today, less the stress!) just add fresh water dechlorinated, keep the water warm and clean and you should have a happy little boy.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:02 AM   #18 
IamBonner

*whew* that's good to know, that top fin has been worrying me. It looks so pitiful :( Guess that's just him :)
Thanks for the advice, and no salt for Edward!
Old 09-30-2011, 10:47 AM   #19 
1fish2fish

He's a little clamped. Not bad though. I don't think he needs any salt unless you start seeing red edges to his fins.

What's the temp of the tank? Temp shock (going from warmer to cooler water or vice verse) is probably the most common cause of unusual lethargic behavior. It sounds to me like the water he was in (in the holding tank) was not the same temp of the regular tank and that just freaked him out a bit. He should have bounced back within an hour though.

Some fish are just what I call "spooky"... it's a term used a lot with horses. Basically they can freak out at the tiniest thing and act like they're dying... little divas. You can try to reduce his stress by not taking him out of the tank to clean it if that's possible, if the tank is smaller then by all means keep doing 100% changes, just try to make the new water the same temp as the old water.

But.. I don't think the salt was the issue, I think it's just a case of a spooky fish.

He's a pretty little guy. I love blues.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:26 PM   #20 
IamBonner

I learned with my first fisj that temp extreemes are bad news. Holding bowl water is scooped directly from the tank. I'm pretty positive that ithey were the same temp, I'm paranoid about it (lost my first fish from it_. I think youreright about him just beong a drama queen :)