Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2011, 12:10 AM   #1 
Ballerinagrl26

Exclamation Please help my betta is dying!

My betta is less than a year old and I have had bettas in the past as well, they all seem to die from the same sympotoms and i am yet to figure out what is causing this. I will describe.

I have been treating my betta for about two weeks for fin rot. I am using the betta fix from the pet store. ( I am new to this). He was doing well, but then i started noticing that he would stay on the bottom of the tank and would only move when i tapped the glass to feed him. I have him in a 2.5 gallon tank with a heater. I tried to put a filter when i first got him but the current was too strong for him. I do water changes every week, but recently noticed that there is this white scum on the surface of the water. dont know if that is normal or not. I noticed today that he wanted to eat but was struggling to get the food into his mouth. then shortly after that he started rapidly skimming the surface of the water trying to get a gulp of air! As I stated my previous bettas all had the same symptoms and all died within two weeks! I am desperatly trying to prevent this from happening again. He is loosing his color and like i said cannot breathe. he just lays on the bottom then darts to the top and skims the water frantically for air. Please help! ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE BETTER THAN NONE. I WOULD RATHER KNOW WHAT IS WRONG THEN NOT, EVEN IF THAT MEANS THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO. PLEASE JUST HELP!
Ballerinagrl26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:11 AM   #2 
Ballerinagrl26

one more thing, i use the conditioner for the water as i am directed to do so. I do a 50% change in water each week.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:21 AM   #3 
youlovegnats

Please try to fill these out as much as possible.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:22 AM   #4 
Indyfishy

First off, welcome to the forum, and I'm sorry your little guy isn't feeling well!!! First off, stop the betta fix, it actually harms the betta's labrynth organ (lungs), and it could be making him feel worse. Don't feel bad about it though, he should be fine, and they really shouldn't market the stuff for bettas. It sounds like you might not be doing enough water changes, which could be causing the problem. In a 2.5 gallon tank he needs one 50% and one 100% weekly water change. Did you acclimate him when you changed his water??? He could be suffering from temperature shock if the water in his cup was very different than his tank water. For now, move him too a small container (the cup you bought him in is fine) and float it in his tank to keep the temp consistent. The cup you bought him in is fine. If it won't float, you can clip it or tape it to the side. If you have it, stress coat is an amazing water conditioner that will help soothe him. If not, you can use either indian almond leaves, crushed and naturally dried oak leaves, or decaf green tea (just green tea, no flavorings) and steep them in a gallon jug with dechlorinator, and use that as his water for his daily water changes in his cup. The tannins from the leaves will soothe him and make him feel better. Check his gills, are they red or inflamed looking in any way??????
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:29 AM   #5 
bettarainbow

You know, i am not an expert doctor regarding betta fish but when mines are sick, i put them in a tank that i set up specially to try to get them rid of their sickness. I think whoever that have betta, either beginner or pro should always have indian almond leaves and aquarium salt with. I only use those 2 things to treat my fishes. Most of betta breeders will tell you to use almond leave.
Where are you from ?? If almond leaves are not available in your area then you can get them for cheap price from international betta congres website.
I always use those leaves and salt disregarding the ph or any other things and it works for me.

Last edited by bettarainbow; 09-27-2011 at 12:34 AM.
bettarainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:00 AM   #6 
Indyfishy

Indian almond leaves are definitely the best choice, but if you are unable to get them then naturally dried and crushed oak leaves work just as well. The decaf green tea will also work in a pinch.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:11 AM   #7 
Ballerinagrl26

Well guys, his gills look like they have red lines on them. he is getting worse too. his body is starting to curve and he wont leave the bottom. only to speed around frantically trying to get air from the top..He is not a new betta. I have had him for about 6 months now so i have changed the water many many times . I always make sure the temp matches what is was before i removed him from the tank. I always make sure the temp is the same. .. heres more about my tank.

2.5 gallon tank
heater
temp averages around 78 degrees
no filter or air stone ( he almost died when i attached the filter)
no other fish in the tank, just a fake plant

as far as food, he eats the freeze dried blood worms. usually once a day.

I clean 50% each week. I use the conditioner and I use tap water.

I checked the PH of the water with the strips that show colors not paramaters. everything was good.

Like i said he is getting much much worse and i know that he is going to die soon. I feel like crap u know. Any idea what the hell this disease is?
Old 09-28-2011, 02:17 AM   #8 
Ballerinagrl26

Should i remove him from the tank and put him in a smaller bowl? He isnt getting any air from the surface of the water at all. Like i said he just swims around frantically with his mouth sticking out the surface of the water. I feel so bad for him! I cant even watch when he does that, it just breaks my heart! Then he just sinks to the bottom with his gills frantically gasping for air. god im gonna loose my mind. I just want to know what the hell this is . What im doing wrong so i know what needs to be changed. He only has a few days maybe a week left.. so sad!
Old 09-28-2011, 02:31 AM   #9 
Ballerinagrl26

just checked the water..

NITRATE:0
NITRITE:0
HARDNESS: 75 SOFT
CHLORINE:0
ALKALINITY: BETWEEN 180-300
pH:7.2

His color has become really dull blue and red. He used to be nice and bright and playfull and active. He liked to make his bubbles. Now nothing! He just sits on the bottom. I started noticing this behavior about a week and a half ago. but he was still eating and breathing just fine then. he was never sick before and the only thing i treated him with was betta fix and that has stopped yesterday. he had fin rot and thats what i bought to help it. i read that hurts his lungs so i stopped. maybe that is what caused this crap! uuuggghhhhh!!!
Old 09-28-2011, 03:26 AM   #10 
Pataflafla

If you can, get him into some clean water with just conditioner. There might still be remnants of betta fix in with him that could be causing some issues.

Did you redose the betta fix at all before changing all of his water? You could have accidentally over dosed on it, which could be causing this problem.

Keep the water level low in whatever you have him in after you change out the water to make it easier to get to the surface. Keep wherever he is dark to calm him down more too.

Is he sinking, bloated belly, or floating on his side? If it's any of these, you might want to start him on 1 tsp/gal premixed epsom salt to help his swim bladder. It's easiest to mix it in a gallon jug with dechlorinated water and use it for water changes. You'll want to change his qt water daily to keep it clean.

For future use too, aquarium salt can be use to treat fin rot instead of medication.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help betta fish, sick betta