Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2011, 01:56 AM   #1 
aurasoulful

Question Is my tank crashing?

HI guys,
I have a 10 galleon NPT that I've had for a couple of weeks. There are no fish. The plants are growing really fast and well. I aerate the soil everyday (I just got some MTS in the tank today. They seem to be doing well, but they may need to be removed?) and my light is set on a timer for 12 hours a day. I tested my water tonight and the readings are Ammonia: .50ppm, NitrItes: 1.0ppm, NitrAte: 40ppm. Would a water change remedy these spikes? Or is the tank recycling? There are quite a few plants and they are actively growing. I plan to add more to complete my 'scape. The plants are four large bunches or Anacharis (15 stems each, give or take) two large Pennyworts, a Flame Sword, and an Amazon. I have 10 more bunches of Anacharis, two pots of Mircoswords (New Zealand, or Brazilian variety) Two Java Ferns and two Anubias Nanas for decor coming in the mail. I'm not sure I am silent cycling with those deadly readings. What do you guys think? Thanks
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:58 AM   #2 
Sakura8

I would say your plants are causing the ammonia and nitrate spike, not that it is crashing or recycling. Do a 25% water change and see if that brings down the ammonia and nitrates. I think cycling with a planted tank is waaay different than cycling with a normal tank. Have you had an algae bloom yet? Usually with nitrates that high, you should be seeing some diatome algae or something, I would think.

Hopefully OFL or someone will post, someone who knows planted tanks better than I do. Good luck with your tank, aurasoulful!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:02 AM   #3 
aurasoulful

Thanks Sakura,
I'm seeing algae on my plants but not so much on the glass. The snails came out tonight and scooted all over the glass, so it must be present. I'll do the water change in the morning as everybody is sleeping atm. It's a bit frustrating, but I don't know what to expect as I'm very new to planted tanks
Old 09-30-2011, 03:12 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Me too. I wish I could help you more. Haha, it seems like such a straightforward thing. Get a tank, plant it, put fish in, done. Who knew you needed degrees in ecology, chemistry, and biology? XD
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

What kind of soil are you using and how deep is it and what did you use for the cap and how deep is that......the first thing I see...is not enough of the right kind of plants......the nitrate reading is telling you this and yes your tank is crashing.......good that you don't have any fish in it yet....keep the MTS and add at least 2 different species of stem plants-2-3 bunches of each and some floating plants-like water lettuce....make 50% water changes and get your-ammonia and nitrite to zero and nitrate to 10ppm

NPT are a balance and unless you start with enough of the right plants a lot can go wrong really fast....

What kind of lights-age of bulbs, kelvin, watts....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #6 
aurasoulful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
What kind of soil are you using and how deep is it and what did you use for the cap and how deep is that......the first thing I see...is not enough of the right kind of plants......the nitrate reading is telling you this and yes your tank is crashing.......good that you don't have any fish in it yet....keep the MTS and add at least 2 different species of stem plants-2-3 bunches of each and some floating plants-like water lettuce....make 50% water changes and get your-ammonia and nitrite to zero and nitrate to 10ppm

NPT are a balance and unless you start with enough of the right plants a lot can go wrong really fast....

What kind of lights-age of bulbs, kelvin, watts....
Soil: Espoma AP4 4-Quart Organic Potting Mix about one inch layer. Gravel: Eco-complete about two inches. What other type of stem plants should I get?
Lights: I don't know how old the bulbs are. The lamps are brand new and I've been using them for a month. One bulb is 6500K daylight florescent and the other is a red spectrum grow bulb. The plants seem to be doing really well. I see growth in all of them everyday. I just don't know what other plants to get. Thanks for all of your help. All this money and effort just for failure has me close to just giving up all together.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:31 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Don't give up......good plants...naja grass, rotala, ludwigia, water wisteria, hygrophilia for stem plants vals, sags, sword for rosette...you also need some floater like water lettuce-frogbit.....

Your gravel layer is too deep-that should be half the amount of soil

Good that you are on 12h/PP
Old 09-30-2011, 06:41 PM   #8 
aurasoulful

Thanks OFL. Do I have to take out the plants I already have? I spent a fortune on them and hate to rip them out. So a half an inch or gravel? I guess I screwed up
Old 09-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Easy fix....but don't pull up the plants...add a lot more stem plants and floating plants ASAP.......and make some partial water changes and get you number down to safe levels.......

Active plant growth will use ammonia for food-(if you have enough of the right plants)-before conversion and so you shouldn't see nitrate for a really long time if ever....this may also be due to the plant specific gravel....what other additives are you using beside dechlorinator.....you shouldn't be using anything at this stage...except dechlorinator of course.....

Good that you are seeing active plant growth......its not a total failure...so don't give up or tear it down.....we can fix this with more stem and floating plants and once the soil starts its life under water.....it may fix itself a bit too...this can take about 3 months......
Old 09-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #10 
aurasoulful

Okay, I used API leaf zone liquid ferts when I set it up a couple of weeks ago. I also set a root tab by each sword (two tabs total). I did a 50% water change today and tested the water. The numbers are cut in half. I didn't add new ferts or tabs this time. I guess I'll have to remove the gravel. The snails won't mind I hope :(