Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2011, 05:28 PM   #1 
charlotte

Exclamation PLEASE help quick! betta female seizuring?

my female is sitting in the corner kind of twitching. theres no current in there so its her moving, not the water moving her. i have a video. if someone could PLEASE help with what do to thatd be great. i haven't done a water change in a couple days so its not shock from that or anything. shes in a gallon tank. shes breathing really hard, sinks, lays on her side, keeps moving one pectoral fin. doesnt look good at all. she tries to swim but cant. i haven't had her long, i moved her to the tank recently ( a few days ago). before she was doing this she would mainly just hide in the plants

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl4awqwXpeI

edit: im pretty sure its not seizuring, it looked like that at first but i have no clue whats wrong

Last edited by charlotte; 09-30-2011 at 05:40 PM.
charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #2 
charlotte

shes calmed down and looks better now thank god. I was looking at her and i think theres a small red sore near her gill. what could that be? she has some red color on her normally but I dont think thats what it is

Housing

What size is your tank? 1 gallon, planning on moving her to a 20 once its cycled
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? top fin
How often do you feed your betta fish? everyday, a few pellets

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? haven't done one, she just got in the tank a couple days ago
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? i now added aq. salt, but always stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? clamped fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? sitting at bottom, breathing heavily, can't swim, sinks whenever she tries, flapping pectoral fins very quickly,
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 20 min ago about
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? aquarium salt, i added some green tea too, put her in a cup
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not that i know of
How old is your fish (approximately)? only had her a couple weeks if that

Last edited by charlotte; 09-30-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #3 
Myates

Just when we think we got your guys under control... here comes the girl wanting attention. Poor thing, similar to what your boy is going through. Is her stomach bloated any? If so, then take her out of the AQ salt and put her in Epsom 2tsp/gal, same deal, 100% daily water changes. .. bloat/SBD will become worse with AQ salt. (Your red guy had velvet, which is different.. but now that I think about it..) Do you use the same cups/nets when you change their waters? And have you cleaned/boiled them at all? Velvet is contagious, and she may have been exposed from the red guy via your equipment.
So check her belly, see if it is extended, use a flashlight and look for a coppery type coloring on her body and let us know.

Edit: Gold/rust/coppery color when looking at it from a flashlight.

Last edited by Myates; 09-30-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:49 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Goodness Charlotte, sounds like you've got your hands full right now. Your poor girl, that twitching looked like she was maybe reacting to something in the water or possibly reacting to external parasites. Just to clarify, she's stopped the twitching now, right? That's good.

In addition to the great advice Myates gave, I would lower the water level in her tank so she can easily reach the surface to breathe. Lower it as much as necessary. I think for the moment being able to breathe is more important than being able to heat the water, if it is being heated.

What size tank was she in before she was transferred to the 1g?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #5 
Myates

Ack, forgot the lowering the water. I think she has been in the 1gal since she got her, she's waiting on the 20g to cycle to create a sorority, and this is the first girl she has gotten.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:31 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Ah. Okay, thanks for clarifying that, Myates. I really hope this girl pulls through. Hang in there, little betta buddy!
Old 10-01-2011, 01:00 AM   #7 
charlotte

I had to leave and thought shed be fine since she was looking better. I came back and found her dead :( I really don't know what happened. I'll get pictures of her tomorrow if you guys don't mind giving your opinion on what might be wrong when you get a chance (no rush). I really want to know for future reference. I don't think she got anything from the others, I don't think I used the same equipment but I could be wrong. Either way i doubt it because she died so fast.
Thank you for your help (again!), too bad she didnt make it :(
Old 10-01-2011, 01:10 AM   #8 
Sakura8

I'm so sorry, Charlotte. :( She may have been sick when you bought her. It happens all too often with pet store bettas. But you're right, I don't think you cross-contaminated because she passed so quickly.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #9 
Myates

Awwww I'm so sorry =( That was quick, so I have to agree with Sakura that she had something prior to you getting her. It's always a roulette when you buy a fish, but you did all you could, and you did a great job caring for them.
Did you get all your fish from the same place? Just curious because they were sick when you got the males, so wondering if it was a chain store or a mom and pop store that you got them from.
Poor little girl...
Old 10-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #10 
Trobar

Aww sorry to hear that Charlotte, I was rooting for you. At least she had a nice couple days and you did all you could.
Trobar is offline   Reply With Quote