Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #1 
ManInBlack2010

what might be wrong with my betta?

I swear i am never buying from my local petco again. I bought a betta there, my dear hank, and he died 4 days later (was fine for a while but then almost over night became very still, clamped fins, loss of color, would sit at the top of the tank unmoving) i took him back and they gave me another (begrudgingly, they told me that 10g divided was too big for betta fish) Rebel was kept in a 3.5g tank for qt for 10 days instead of dumping him in his portion of the 10g like i did with Hank. Rebel was doing great, despite the finrot he came home with and after the 10 days the fin rot had cleared up and he looked great. I put him in the 10g with Cash and they seemed to do great together. never saw any flaring at each other. about 6 days after being in the 10g Rebel started showing the same symptoms Hank did (clamped fins, lethargic). i found him friday when i came home from work lying on the bottom of the tank on his side but jumped up when i shook the plant next to him. this morning he was just sitting at the top not moving, so i put him in the 1.5 bowl i have (with heater) and i'm going to put him back on aq salt treatments to see if that cheers him up. do you think it might be a swim bladder problem? Cash is doing great, so signs of illness.

Housing

What size is your tank? was in 10g divided so 5g
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? yes 3g filter baffled
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? one male on the other side

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? he gets a variety, bettamin tropical flakes as a staple with frozen or freeze dried bloodworms occasionally (i feed flake because the pellets i bought are too big for them to eat and i haven't picked up better pellets yet)
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1x in the pm and fast one day a week

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? at least once a week, usually depends on how busy my week is
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? atleast 75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? depends on the day and how my fishies are but usually atleast Aqueon water conditioner and sometimes 1tsp of aq salt per gallon and stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? have not tested it

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? clamped fins, paleness
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not active, sitting very still for long periods of time
When did you start noticing the symptoms? thursday so 3 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yes, in qt bowl with daily water changes and aq salt treatment
Does your fish have any history of being ill? had fin rot but it cleared up probably 8 days ago
How old is your fish (approximately)? have had him for a little over 2 weeks, seems young because he is very tiny

Last edited by ManInBlack2010; 10-01-2011 at 06:14 PM.
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #2 
Myates

Could be a lot of reasons =(
I wouldn't add AQ salt for just a regular water change.. especially since you aren't fully emptying/cleaning the tank. Salt can harm their organs if overdosed, as well as when it is needed it won't be as effective due to immunity by the organisms it fights as well as the fish. AQ salt is for external problems such as rot, ich, etc. AQ salt can make bloating/SBD worse... so if you suspect that, then I would remove him from it.
It sounds as if it is something to do with the water chemistry. Is your tank cycled? If not you should be upping the water change, especially since the filter is recommended for smaller tanks. Should do 100% every week to every other week in an uncycled tank with a small filter. Are you vacuuming? If not, then definitely could be ammonia build up from all the waste left in there and Rebel is a little more sensitive towards it.
I would personally recommend using Epsom Salt, but again, since not quite sure what is causing it.. I would ask OFL or Sakura, Pala, etc.
Also, feeding one large meal a day can cause bloating and constipation. Bettas do much better with a few small meals throughout the day. If you can't do that, then at least smaller meals. A pinch of flakes, 2-3 bloodworms each meal, as well as 2-3 pellets each meal.
Sorry I couldn't be of much use.. kinda stumped on this one =( Wish you the best.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #3 
ManInBlack2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Could be a lot of reasons =(
I wouldn't add AQ salt for just a regular water change.. especially since you aren't fully emptying/cleaning the tank. Salt can harm their organs if overdosed, as well as when it is needed it won't be as effective due to immunity by the organisms it fights as well as the fish. AQ salt is for external problems such as rot, ich, etc. AQ salt can make bloating/SBD worse... so if you suspect that, then I would remove him from it.
It sounds as if it is something to do with the water chemistry. Is your tank cycled? If not you should be upping the water change, especially since the filter is recommended for smaller tanks. Should do 100% every week to every other week in an uncycled tank with a small filter. Are you vacuuming? If not, then definitely could be ammonia build up from all the waste left in there and Rebel is a little more sensitive towards it.
I would personally recommend using Epsom Salt, but again, since not quite sure what is causing it.. I would ask OFL or Sakura, Pala, etc.
Also, feeding one large meal a day can cause bloating and constipation. Bettas do much better with a few small meals throughout the day. If you can't do that, then at least smaller meals. A pinch of flakes, 2-3 bloodworms each meal, as well as 2-3 pellets each meal.
Sorry I couldn't be of much use.. kinda stumped on this one =( Wish you the best.
thanks for your help! i will keep that in mind with the aq salt and no it's not cycled so i will up the water changes - and when i feed them its usally either a small pinch of flakes or 2-3 bloodworms (they usually get full after 2), didn't mean for it to sound like i was giving them a feast haha

edit* and i do gravel vacuum every time i do i water change if i don't completely rinse out the rocks
Old 10-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #4 
Leeniex

The one betta I bought from Petco died in a week. Never again.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #5 
ManInBlack2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeniex View Post
The one betta I bought from Petco died in a week. Never again.
it's funny because i always liked petco's store before i got fish, now that i have fish i go to petsmart first and foremost if in need of something
Old 10-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #6 
Myates

I hope he gets better =( Maybe someone who knows a little more will come along and can say what is going on in more detail. To me it looks like it's something to do with the chemistry with clamped fins and losing coloring.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote