Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #1 
AS91379

Fish Gasping After Water Change

Elliott started gasping and laying at the bottom of his tank after his water change. After careful inspection, I noticed that his water is two or three degrees higher than normal. I added a bag of ice, and it has dropped to normal. I also added a little extra dechlorinator, in case chlorine is the problem. I have increased his water changes to twice a week because I took his filter out. He lives in a five gallon tank. I use the same bucket to clean his tank as I do my goldfish. Normally, I clean Elliott's tank first, but I did the goldfish first today. Could he be sick from trace amounts of goldfish water?
AS91379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:50 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Was this a 100% water change or did you remove him for the water change...if so...did you re-acclimate him to the water chemistry by adding small amount of the new water to the holding container.....

If he was left in the tank for a partial water change-it could be either forgotten or not enough dechlorinator or some type of toxic substance on your hands, cleaning items, in the air...etc.....

I would make a 50% water only change now and dose the dechlorinater for the full volume of the tank.....

A few degrees in water temp usually will not cause this type of reaction

Keep us posted
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:53 AM   #3 
AS91379

Changing water now. I'll update you soon. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2011, 12:20 PM   #4 
AS91379

Still gasping but alive. I haven't seen any changes. How much time should I give it before I panic, and can I do anything else?
Old 09-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #5 
Romad
TFK Moderator

If he's in a 5 gallon tank, why are you taking him out during water changes?

I never have to remove my fish while siphoning out the water and cleaning the gravel. I can see where people have to do this when they have a gallon or less but not with that size.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:00 PM   #6 
AS91379

Romad: Elliott does not come out for his water changes. Sorry for any confusion.

Also, Elliott is showing new symptoms. He'll start twitching violently and gasping, and bubbles will come from his gills and mouth.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #7 
AS91379

Still no changes.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:28 PM   #8 
SVC

Hi AS91379, sorry for what Elliott is going through! I hope there has been some improvement by now.

I was just wondering if he was having any trouble swimming? My guy went through a similar ordeal a couple of months ago where due to water conditions he had a similar reaction to your Elliott, and then when I had him in QT, he started having swim bladder issues. When you said he is thrashing around and bubbles are coming out of his gills, it reminded me of my betta when he couldn't swim straight and was struggling to go below the water's surface. He also had bubbes coming out of his gills. With great advice from this forum he eventually made a complete recovery and then something happened again when I did a water change this time and he's buoyant again. Is he bloated at all?
SVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:42 PM   #9 
AS91379

SVC, no he isn't bloated, and he is swimming just fine, when he feels like doing it. To my amazement, he isn't gasping anymore, but his breathing is still labored. He is no longer hiding at the bottom, but he still won't move much. He's sitting at the top of the tank in his favorite spot. The one really hopeful sign I've seen is that he ate his dinner. I'm crossing my fingers. He's survived ten hours, so far.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:45 AM   #10 
SVC

Ok that's good that it's not swim bladder problems. Although most
often not fatal, it's so pitiful seeing the poor things trying to swim upright. I think it is very encouraging that Elliott ate his dinner, and is starting to hang out in his favourite spot again. Hopefully he'll be as good as new soon! I'll be pulling for him through the night!!
SVC is offline   Reply With Quote