Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #1 
titusthebetta

Is my heater on?

I plugged in my heater about an hour ago, and I can't tell if it's on. The temp was around 82 degrees when I plugged it in, and now it's at around 79. It says a light should have come on, but I don't see one. I have a Tetra Submersible Heater in a 2.5 gallon tank. Who uses this heater?
titusthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #2 
ksage505

Quote:
Originally Posted by titusthebetta View Post
I plugged in my heater about an hour ago, and I can't tell if it's on. The temp was around 82 degrees when I plugged it in, and now it's at around 79. It says a light should have come on, but I don't see one. I have a Tetra Submersible Heater in a 2.5 gallon tank. Who uses this heater?
Does it have a dial that lets you change the temperature on the heater? If not, its one of the pre-set temperature ones. They're set to keep the water around 78 F so unless your temperature goes below that it won't turn on.
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:47 PM   #3 
missm83

i have one like that too, my tank is 2.5 as well...i think it takes a little wile for it to heat up...i turn mine at night only cuz i have his light on during the day and that keeps the temp at 80. .. in the morning i see it goes up to 82-3..makes me nervous that it will get to hot...so just be careful
missm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #4 
aquaman17

if it is preset to 78 like most preset heaters, it only kicks on in order to maintain that temperature.
aquaman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #5 
titusthebetta

Yeah, I was gone a couple hours and the temp dropped to 76. It still doesn't look like it's on. :/ Poor guy, I feel bad for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksage505 View Post
Does it have a dial that lets you change the temperature on the heater? If not, its one of the pre-set temperature ones. They're set to keep the water around 78 F so unless your temperature goes below that it won't turn on.
It's a preset. I can't adjust anything.

So I'm sorry for all the posts, but I'm pretty sure this heater's a dud. The temp is around 75, and I'm tempted to take it out because it's not working. I want to order a better one online tomorrow. Will he be fine a few days without a heater? Is there anyway I can help warm up the water besides a lamp?

Last edited by dramaqueen; 10-07-2011 at 01:56 PM.
titusthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote