Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #1 
Rjb5584

Unhappy Possible emergency during water change!

Was changing whitey's and spreckers' tanks. Tried to do the cup method to get them out, and I think whitey scratched his side on the gravel. The emergency part, though, is spreckers jumped out of the cup onto the kitchen counter! I scooped him into his cup using the lid, but I can see he has the stress stripes, and he was a bit touch-and-go the first day I had him.

I have some bettafix--would that be beneficial to either whitey or spreckers?

Anything I can do for them at this point? I feel like such a jerk!

Please help!
Rjb5584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:31 PM   #2 
HatsuneMiku

i wouldn't use bettafix ..

instead if you have aquarium salt .. i would pre-mix 1teaspoon/gallon for them and cover their tanks with a towel so they can be in the dark and rest
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #3 
Myates

Also if you have stress coat use that to help with any loss of slime coat he had when he touched the floor and the cup lid. Tannins will help as well for strengthening the scales. Poor guys =(
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #4 
Rjb5584

Thanks for the advice!

They were already in their aquariums at the time of the post. I didn't even think about getting AQ salts in their tanks--just that they were in water! And I think it's a bit too soon (for them and me!) to do another set of water changes. Or is it worth the extra trauma (again, for me and the fish)?

I'll head to the fish store down the street and pick up some of that stress coat and maybe some treats--and definitely use a net next time...
Old 09-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #5 
Myates

Can also cover the cup with something to prevent him from jumping out of it. Using the dip cup method is fine, just cover with your hand until you put it down, then put something over it. The net can tear their fins.
The salt is a preventative, you don't have to do it if you wish not to. But the stress coat will help them. Just do an extra water change this week to keep the water extra clean to help with the prevention of anything. Keep an eye on them just in case.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #6 
Leeniex

And don't feel too bad....accidents happen!
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:06 PM   #7 
Ajones108

If you are using a net, use a brine shrimp net, not one of those icky green ones. I love my brine shrimp net because it's not rough and coarse like a standard net. It's soft and not as dangerous for your betta and his fins. :)
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:48 PM   #8 
Rjb5584

Is it okay to put stress coat in their tanks with them already in? And, thus, already-conditioned water?

Just grabbed some along with some bloodworms as a peace-offering. :P
Old 09-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

Are either of them hurt? If not there is no point in adding aquarium salt... it's not a miracle drug. Just cover the tank to reduce stress and keep an eye out on them. Don't unnecessarily medicate them.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #10 
HatsuneMiku

well the point of adding aq salt is because he was on the table .. then scooped up with a lid .. and you don't know what kind of bacteria was on the table that he could have picked up .. so even if he didn't have any visible injuries (torn fins .. missing scales .. punctures) .. it's always better to prevent the baddies now .. then have to treat for something later

what was the water conditioner u use initially? ..

if u got the freeze dried kind of blood worms .. make sure to pre-soak them in some tank water before offering =)

*off-topic side note*
@myates
i love your avatars !!

Last edited by HatsuneMiku; 09-29-2011 at 08:19 PM.
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote