Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #1 
Foisair

Proper QT for trumpet snails?

I am wanting to add 5-10 trumpet snails to my alge ridden 1gal planted tank with sand substrate. I've read that I should quarentine them, but for how long? Being that they can carry deseases, how long would it take for something they could be carrying to die off? I saw that ick can live up to two weeks in a snail. I'd like to get these guys in my tank as soon as possible.

Also, should I put some sand in the bottom of their QT tank? Especially if they're going to be in there for a couple of weeks at least?
Foisair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:26 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

I have trumpet snails in my 29g and they do nothing but eat left over food and breed like rabbits. I wouldn't put anything in a 1g tank for algae, just clean it. You tank is too small for the bioload that many snails plus a betta. Also they breed like craazzyy. But of you choose too, 2 weeks QT and they would love some sand to nuzzle into. Also they need algae wafers.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #3 
Foisair

Sorry, the tank is 2.5gal. I'd be QTing them in a <1gal.

Are they not very good alge eaters? I thought I read they did. Alge and dead plant bits. I also hoped they'd keep my sand....airated, oxygenized, not sure on the right word there. I use my small vacum now to mix up the sand where I can but under decor and in the corners is kind of hard. I also risk uprooting my plants.
Foisair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:55 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

You could try it, no harm just make sure to keep your numbers down so its doesn't over throw the bioload. Mine are useless but I have them for sand too. I hate the things, wish I could get some assassins. They do the same but reproduce a lot less.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote