Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2011, 02:27 AM   #1 
BubbleBetta12

Feeding

I didn't see that there was any little sub title of feeding so I decided to ask on what food should you feed your betta. I heard that varying there diets with bloodworms and such will make them happier and healthier. Please respond all is help! Thanks.
BubbleBetta12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:29 AM   #2 
Gloria

I am fairly new to the whole being a Betta mum. I feed mine frozen bloodworms and pellets, as this is all I have..
Unforunetly I am worried that I feed them too much..
They get about 3 bloodowrms for breakfast and 3 for dinner. And sometimes I take out a bloodworm or 2 and give pellets to substitute. If this is too much please tell me. I don't want to overfeed and kill my babies
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:15 AM   #3 
fishy friend2

I have pellets, frozen brine shrimp and mosquito larvaeI feed pellets mostly, I feed 3 to 4 pellets every day and 2 times a week I feed the mosquito larvae
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:22 AM   #4 
Myates

A variety is good for them, but sometimes you can only feed one or two different types, which is fine.
Pellets are a great staple in food for them. There isn't any mess as long as you put in one at a time and see that they are eaten. 4-6 pellets a day is a fair amount.
Flakes are good too, sometimes they are very high in protein but it's harder to control how much you feed them. These are notorious for clouding up the water so it is important not to over feed them flakes. They can also have the potential to bloat the fish if your little ones eat too quickly and the flakes haven't had time to absorb the water. But use very little at one time.
Frozen foods such as blood worms and brine shrimp are real healthy. They last a long time in the freezer, just cut up a small portion to feed them. You can take a small amount of tank water and use that to defrost them. You can use your clean fingers or a tooth pick or tweezers to pick them up. Roughly 3 blood worms per meal is a good amount.
Freeze dried is a hot topic among hobbyists. Some feed them regularly, others recommend as a treat. It's up to the owner what they feel is best. Use a tiny bit of tank water and let them soak for a minute or so prior to feeding. Then feed as if it were frozen. They are well known to cause bloat, so it is best to re-hydrate them as best you can and keep an eye on it. 2-3 is a good amount.

It's best to spread the meals into 2-3, if you can even 4 times a day to help prevent bloating. That goes for all types of food. Some bettas are able to handle more food then others. My Zoomie eats a little more a day then the others because he is constantly zooming around the tank. (Don't let him know, but I think he has ADHD) It is also good to fast them for a day a week to let their systems catch up. If you see they have a full belly hours after feeding, you can skip the next meal to help them out. Or feed them 1 pellet or 1 of a different type of food so they at least have something, but not too much.
Some are picky eaters and you may find that one of your guys just won't eat a particular type of food. If you insist they eat it, then you can soak it in garlic juice. Either from freshly crushed cloves, or from a jar of garlics unseasoned. It is like catnip for them. Mine don't like freeze dried, and one doesn't like flakes. I don't worry about those as much as I prefer pellets, frozen and homemade.

There are a variety of live foods that others feed, but I don't go that route so I didn't list it.

Hope this helps some, best wishes!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #5 
Bresn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy friend2 View Post
I have pellets, frozen brine shrimp and mosquito larvaeI feed pellets mostly, I feed 3 to 4 pellets every day and 2 times a week I feed the mosquito larvae
3 to 4 is overfeeding,2 to 3 is the best I think.
Bresn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #6 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bresn View Post
3 to 4 is overfeeding,2 to 3 is the best I think.
Not really. Depends on the fish. The young ones usually should eat more per day, small meals spread out. Older ones it varies. 4-6 a day is the usual. 6 for the larger ones who can handle it easier.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #7 
BubbleBetta12

This information is incredible Myates! Thank you I plan to feed him freeze dried and pellets mostly a mix of both. I cannot wait until I get him today! What do you thin is a good idea for the bottom of the tank kind of off topic but I would like to know.
BubbleBetta12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #8 
HatsuneMiku

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=81220

feeding guide
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:57 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Not really. Depends on the fish. The young ones usually should eat more per day, small meals spread out. Older ones it varies. 4-6 a day is the usual. 6 for the larger ones who can handle it easier.
Agreed.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote