Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #31 
Luimeril

i'd love to get another one, connect it with the first one, and give him roughly 2 gallons to swim in, but our walmart doesn't sell them. :< it'd be pretty neat, setting one up with one color decor, the other with another color. they're pretty big, too. i can fit a small silk plant in it, and he'd still have room to swim about. but, it's still a bit less than a gallon. can't fit a heater in it. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:21 PM   #32 
MistersMom

oh? i wouldnt think so since there isnt a hole for it, maybe that is something you should totally invent right? lol, u should totally make that right? lol...
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #33 
bahamut285

To all the people recommending the 4G biOrb. You CANNOT be serious.

First of all, the air pump is far too strong for the betta, and the way the tank is designed, it must work at full strength to be able to filter properly through fluid dynamics to keep the bacteria alive and filtering.

Secondly, the ceramic media is sharp enough to scratch YOUR hands and if your betta decides to bottom sit for some reason, it will probably hack up their tails very easily.

Thirdly, I personally would not pay around $70 JUST FOR THE TANK (when you can easily pay LESS for a larger tank like 5 or even 10 gallons). It comes with NO decorations and NO heater so you'll have to pay additional money for it, especially the custom heater they offer that attaches to completely round surfaces.

Finally, you can tell her that if she gets a vase (or the biOrb), you won't be able to see your betta half the time if they're anywhere near the curved parts, because of the optics.

I think the main thing you should be telling her, is that: Smaller tank/vase = more work. I don't really like to play devil's advocate, but if she had a freezing cold 5 gallon vase or something, that would be better than having a oddly heated 0.5 gallon vase.

If she really wants a vase, then get her a fairly large vase that can be heated (even if it's a 2 gallon vase).
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #34 
Miyazawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowntailTwitchy57 View Post
um, i don't know if this will upset anyone, i just want to say, i see no issues with keeping a betta in a LARGE vase, as long as it's clean, you feed it, and it has someplace for him to hise and is planted and stuff. i just see no issues.
well it really depends on the shape of the vase because you need to put a heater in there
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #35 
PitGurl

If she must have a vase take her to a craft store like Michaels or Hobby Lobby. They have tons of vases & glass bowls to chose from. Just make sure it's large enough to be heated.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #36 
Bombalurina

I can give you some personal experience of why bettas-in-vases aren't great, if you like. When I first got my Apollo (second hand), he was being kept in a 1.25 litre jar (that's a little over a quart for you US people :)). It was unheated and unfiltered, and the owner hadn't been doing the necessary *really* frequent water changes to keep him healthy. He had fin rot and was just lying there. Now he is in a heated, filtered 5 gallon with mental stimulation and lots of plants and space. He is healthy, happy, active (relatively, he's still a lazy fat veiltail) and his fins have grown back. :) The difference is just astounding. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #37 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
To all the people recommending the 4G biOrb. You CANNOT be serious.

First of all, the air pump is far too strong for the betta, and the way the tank is designed, it must work at full strength to be able to filter properly through fluid dynamics to keep the bacteria alive and filtering.

Secondly, the ceramic media is sharp enough to scratch YOUR hands and if your betta decides to bottom sit for some reason, it will probably hack up their tails very easily.

Thirdly, I personally would not pay around $70 JUST FOR THE TANK (when you can easily pay LESS for a larger tank like 5 or even 10 gallons). It comes with NO decorations and NO heater so you'll have to pay additional money for it, especially the custom heater they offer that attaches to completely round surfaces.

Finally, you can tell her that if she gets a vase (or the biOrb), you won't be able to see your betta half the time if they're anywhere near the curved parts, because of the optics.

I think the main thing you should be telling her, is that: Smaller tank/vase = more work. I don't really like to play devil's advocate, but if she had a freezing cold 5 gallon vase or something, that would be better than having a oddly heated 0.5 gallon vase.

If she really wants a vase, then get her a fairly large vase that can be heated (even if it's a 2 gallon vase).
I agree with the heating of a larger vase if anything. I mean... I have a large vase. And I use it when needed (not in use right now)... But I also have this weir "bowl" one betta I got came in... And it equals a cup of water. NOT kidding :o

And it is more work with smaller tanks or bowls... And I never owned a biorb, and now I know your view on it.. I also saw the CHI tank or whatever and I'd rather pay THAT price for a 10-20 gallon tank!! xD IME...
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #38 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistersMom View Post
OMG at Walmart you can buy these ssuper awesome things they ate like a side ways bottle and if you feel its too small then you can add and connect another one to it
!!!!http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Cultu...m-1ct/16940369 i wanted one but my mom said NO! lol...

OMG!! I want to get like four of those things and connect them on my desk for one of my bettas. XD Each one with a different color. My room stays warm enough for me to not have a heater too... Just gotta figure out a lighting scheme... XD

OH!! And you can even stack them on top of eachother, and have like... A betta WALL! :3

And now that i work for walmart i get a 10% discount... hee hee 83
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:41 PM   #39 
Laki

At such a small space though, don't those things need to be cleaned like... Every day?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #40 
Gizmothefreaky

With several of them connected it would be like having a three or four gallon tank roughly, so a 50% and a 100% a week would probably be just fine, with spot cleaning for poops. ^^;
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote