Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2011, 12:48 AM   #11 
Mohan85

my problem was my fry are 10 weeks old but they are still so tiny.. about an inch long.. so i didn't think they would turn aggressive yet....

one day i was siphoning the bottom of the tank and i accidently sucked 3 out of the tank... they landed into a bucket i usually siphon the water too.. i didnt think nothing of it and netted them and threw them all back in the tank.. and everything was fine but i noticed that ONE of the fry was acting weird.. he was acting kinda funny.. as if he was infected.. infected with some angry disease.. he was striking and nipping at all other fry that came near.. and they all kept inspecting him with great curiousity.. then i actually saw the little shrimp flaring! he was relentlessly nipping all the other fry.. i felt like i had a crazed zombie fry in my tank... so i decided to jar him.. and all peace resumed in my fry tank.. kinda didn't wanna jar him when he was so small though!
Mohan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #12 
animallover4lyfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan85 View Post
my problem was my fry are 10 weeks old but they are still so tiny.. about an inch long.. so i didn't think they would turn aggressive yet....

one day i was siphoning the bottom of the tank and i accidently sucked 3 out of the tank... they landed into a bucket i usually siphon the water too.. i didnt think nothing of it and netted them and threw them all back in the tank.. and everything was fine but i noticed that ONE of the fry was acting weird.. he was acting kinda funny.. as if he was infected.. infected with some angry disease.. he was striking and nipping at all other fry that came near.. and they all kept inspecting him with great curiousity.. then i actually saw the little shrimp flaring! he was relentlessly nipping all the other fry.. i felt like i had a crazed zombie fry in my tank... so i decided to jar him.. and all peace resumed in my fry tank.. kinda didn't wanna jar him when he was so small though!
Oh good! You can answer my question! So once you jarred the fry, how did they adjust? And how often are u doing water changes?? My worry is they are used to heated water, my heated water to room temp is very different at the warmest my room temp is MAYBE 75 if my heat in my house is on, a couple days ago it was barely above 60-65!! :(
animallover4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:12 AM   #13 
indjo
TFK Moderator

If you are only jarring aggressive fry, you should be jarring one or two at a time. I usually float them in the fry tank. If your air is rather cool, cover the top.

If my fry tank were filtered, I would pour everything in the tank and immediately re-fill with water from the tank - daily. Other wise I do 80 - 100% daily water changes (new water). This depends on what I feed - how dirty is the water.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:32 AM   #14 
Mohan85

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
If you are only jarring aggressive fry, you should be jarring one or two at a time. I usually float them in the fry tank. If your air is rather cool, cover the top.

If my fry tank were filtered, I would pour everything in the tank and immediately re-fill with water from the tank - daily. Other wise I do 80 - 100% daily water changes (new water). This depends on what I feed - how dirty is the water.
how do you "float them" ? i think i seen this technique before on youtube.. but couldn't get a response on how its done
Old 10-04-2011, 12:36 AM   #15 
MrVampire181

Keep em together a little longer. I find jarring to early can cause them to grow very slowly. I don't jar until they are at least 1.5 inches long and finning out. Even then I sometimes keep them together. Bettas have play fights.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #16 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I use 2L plastic bottles cut in half. Just fill it enough that it doesn't sink (about 1-1.5cm of the bottle is above water). If you're using pumps in your tank, make sure the jar doesn't move around - it may tilt and sink.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #17 
Mohan85

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover4lyfe View Post
Oh good! You can answer my question! So once you jarred the fry, how did they adjust? And how often are u doing water changes?? My worry is they are used to heated water, my heated water to room temp is very different at the warmest my room temp is MAYBE 75 if my heat in my house is on, a couple days ago it was barely above 60-65!! :(
hey so its been 3 - 4 days now.. and he seems to have adjusted ok.. i keep his jar under the lamp i have my BBS hatcheries at.. so i think the water stays fairly warm.. although i was concerned about that too.. i'm in georgia and its starting to get cold.. but i think he's doing just fine under the lamp.. oh yea and i change the jar water everyday.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #18 
Mohan85

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Keep em together a little longer. I find jarring to early can cause them to grow very slowly. I don't jar until they are at least 1.5 inches long and finning out. Even then I sometimes keep them together. Bettas have play fights.
i seriously wanted to keep him in longer.. but i think he was confused or something because i actually saw the little 1 inch shrimp of a fry FLARING! and he would not stop striking n nippin all the other fry.. he was even taking on the bigger fry.. it was as if he had turned into a zombie fry and all reasoning had gone out the window... he was infected with mad hate diease and could not be cured -______-
Old 10-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #19 
GreenTea

Quote:
i seriously wanted to keep him in longer.. but i think he was confused or something because i actually saw the little 1 inch shrimp of a fry FLARING! and he would not stop striking n nippin all the other fry.. he was even taking on the bigger fry.. it was as if he had turned into a zombie fry and all reasoning had gone out the window... he was infected with mad hate diease and could not be cured -______-

Sorry I know you're bummed you had to move him but that made me laugh! Imagining a little fry taking on everyone...
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #20 
animallover4lyfe

Quote:
hey so its been 3 - 4 days now.. and he seems to have adjusted ok.. i keep his jar under the lamp i have my BBS hatcheries at.. so i think the water stays fairly warm.. although i was concerned about that too.. i'm in georgia and its starting to get cold.. but i think he's doing just fine under the lamp.. oh yea and i change the jar water everyday.

Thanks! I think ill take my chances and let them be, my room is too inconsistent to put them in jars. Plus all my fry are different sizes so id prob jar more than one lol
animallover4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote