Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-14-2011, 06:54 PM   #1 
alysalouise
Member
 
alysalouise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: WA
Planning to breed bettas

I know not to take this lightly and i now it takes a lot of time and effort

I am going to list what i have read and ask for you guys to fill in any blankes for me please


For a starter, They can have HUNDEREDS of fry
You need a 10 gallon for spawning in, half filled kept at 80*, with lots of plants to provide the female cover
Couple hundred jars(always planning on having more than i would probably need just in case i do have a rather large spawn)
A way to keep the jars heated
Daily water changes on the tank that holds the fry, and 100% water changes on the jars when i get to the jarring stage
Extra tanks for growing out the fry
Conditioning the Bettas for 2 weeks before spawing (live/ frozen foods) And make sure their not in sight of each other
Homes for all the fry i do not plan on keeping or have the room to keep
Fry food:
Microworms
Walterworms
Vinegareels
BBS
Bananaworms
Infusoria
(all being cultures )

Be prepared for culling
Add dad into spawing tank first, give him a couple days before putting the female in a vase into the tank
watch for bubble nest, and female showing vertical bars
When they're ready release the female in with the male
Keep close eye on them until they are done spawning, when male is protecting nest and wont let the female near, take the female out
male stays with the fry until they are free swimming
Have fry food preparred for them when they reach the free swimming stage
take out any uneaten food (daily water changes)


I almost forgot
And keep the condensation in the tank, Right?

So i know i am more than likely missing stuff
Care to fill me in?

Im not planning on doing this until i start my job so i will have paychecks to pay for everything i'll need
Which at this point is just jars, food, and more plants

Last edited by alysalouise; 09-14-2011 at 07:03 PM.
alysalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #2 
betta lover1507
Member
 
betta lover1507's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: IL, Chicago
actually your better prepared than me XP. also i got couple things to say. condition the pair for about 2-3 weeks. and also if this is your first time spawning, most of the fries won't survive, but some will, but if your good and know exactly what to do ... GUN IT CHIEF-err alysa!

leave them in there for about 3-5 days and see what happening. they should S- way swimming, do this wierd wiggle dance (it is funny to watch XD), and the male should display. if the male does ONLY flare and attacking it means he is not ready, sometimes it is the opposite it means she is not ready. remember do your FIRST water change like in 5 days (look careful at the water you took out for any fries XP). also you need a sponge filter. another thing about the female is that you could only see the bars if she is dark colored not light. watch out for a year old male. the male will only spawn right under 14 months, so watch out for big and flashy betta's. i had some other things but i forgot what i was gonna say XP and good luck
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #3 
alysalouise
Member
 
alysalouise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by betta lover1507 View Post
actually your better prepared than me XP. also i got couple things to say. condition the pair for about 2-3 weeks. and also if this is your first time spawning, most of the fries won't survive, but some will, but if your good and know exactly what to do ... GUN IT CHIEF-err alysa!

leave them in there for about 3-5 days and see what happening. they should S- way swimming, do this wierd wiggle dance (it is funny to watch XD), and the male should display. if the male does ONLY flare and attacking it means he is not ready, sometimes it is the opposite it means she is not ready. remember do your FIRST water change like in 5 days (look careful at the water you took out for any fries XP). also you need a sponge filter. another thing about the female is that you could only see the bars if she is dark colored not light. watch out for a year old male. the male will only spawn right under 14 months, so watch out for big and flashy betta's. i had some other things but i forgot what i was gonna say XP and good luck

Thabk you lol, i just dont wanna mess things up
and im planning on if i get a large amount of babies, to cull them down to a smaller size to maybe like 100 or so
And i cant wait to see the dance :) ive read all about it, and see videos of spawning, but i would like to see it in real life lol
alysalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #4 
betta lover1507
Member
 
betta lover1507's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: IL, Chicago
yea just hope you don't have plans on that day cause you don't wanna miss any of it XP thats what happened to me lol. what betta's your gonna breed? am just curious
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:35 PM   #5 
alysalouise
Member
 
alysalouise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by betta lover1507 View Post
yea just hope you don't have plans on that day cause you don't wanna miss any of it XP thats what happened to me lol. what betta's your gonna breed? am just curious

Lol i am never busy, Dropped out of High school and got my Ged, and im just waiting to start my job, and my BF is in Job corps, so i just sit at home all day every day, so im sure i wont miss it lol
And im planning on breeding both my CT's and my HM, and im not sure about Odyssey yet
I want a baby from him that will look like him, but he old, and i dont want it to ware him to his death
And dont know yet with the females
alysalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:04 AM   #6 
alysalouise
Member
 
alysalouise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: WA
Bump

Um any advice? Would be great
alysalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #7 
Creat
Member
 
Creat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Idaho
Well lets see if I can help... there are lots of ways to breed betta lets see if I can shrink my method down slightly. So my breeding tank is a plastic tub about 15 gal wider then it is tall filled 5 inches with water. Planted very very very densely usually with java moss and some duckweed oh and a bigillion pond snails. Then I use the shock method on my pairs just because it has done me well in the past and I dont feel like changing it. After the pair goes in at night the next morning I usually have eggs and maybe some embracing. Sometimes it can take them up to 4 days to figure it out. I only remove the female if the male has started ignoring his nest and just chasing her relentlessly. I leave the female in 12 hrs after the last embrace usually. Then once the fry hatch daddy get some live food if he wishes. And depending on whether I am leaving him with the fry or not he either stays in or leaves once they become free swimming. I start adding about 5 gallons at a time over the course of the next few weeks until the fry are about 4 weeks old then they start getting water changes. I feed them just microworms and infusoria. Then crushed bloodworms when they are big enough I also introduce crushed pellets also to see if they eat those.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #8 
betta lover1507
Member
 
betta lover1507's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: IL, Chicago
goodd luckk and keep us posted, also love to see photos of the pair =D
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #9 
alysalouise
Member
 
alysalouise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creat View Post
Well lets see if I can help... there are lots of ways to breed betta lets see if I can shrink my method down slightly. So my breeding tank is a plastic tub about 15 gal wider then it is tall filled 5 inches with water. Planted very very very densely usually with java moss and some duckweed oh and a bigillion pond snails. Then I use the shock method on my pairs just because it has done me well in the past and I dont feel like changing it. After the pair goes in at night the next morning I usually have eggs and maybe some embracing. Sometimes it can take them up to 4 days to figure it out. I only remove the female if the male has started ignoring his nest and just chasing her relentlessly. I leave the female in 12 hrs after the last embrace usually. Then once the fry hatch daddy get some live food if he wishes. And depending on whether I am leaving him with the fry or not he either stays in or leaves once they become free swimming. I start adding about 5 gallons at a time over the course of the next few weeks until the fry are about 4 weeks old then they start getting water changes. I feed them just microworms and infusoria. Then crushed bloodworms when they are big enough I also introduce crushed pellets also to see if they eat those.


Thank you :)
I saw your post about shock method, but i think i'll go the other rout being a first timer lol
Ya lots and lots and lots of plants are on the list of what is still needed, along with all the food for the babies, evdentually my petco has none of the food i would need for them(?) So im going to have to find another place to get food, but other than plants and food i still need jars, then im good to go

So until their 4 weeks od you dont do water changes?
What about cleaning the bottom of the tank?
And i was thinking about leaving dad with the fry if i have a rather large number so maybe he can decreae the number by eating the unhealthy ones



Quote:
Originally Posted by betta lover1507 View Post
goodd luckk and keep us posted, also love to see photos of the pair =D

Dont excatly have a pair yet, still need to get females, planning o getting CT females and HM females,
But all my boys have their own album on my page, Im thinking i might do Cola first, or Zealot (CT's are my favorite )
alysalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Planning a Sorority Tank for 6 bettas neonqueencobra Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 5 07-24-2011 05:43 PM
can i put bettas with bettas and have them breed without any dead fish Guppie luver Betta Fish Care 13 02-15-2011 07:38 AM
Planning to Breed turtle10 Breeding Betta Fish 7 02-08-2011 11:55 PM
Planning to Breed monroe0704 Breeding Betta Fish 4 12-11-2010 01:16 PM
How to breed bettas MrVampire181 Breeding Betta Fish 46 05-17-2010 11:29 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.