Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2011, 10:53 PM   #1 
Bloeduwedd

Apple snails?

I went into one of my LPS, which is family owned and has extremely knowledgeable staff when it comes to every animal they sell. I had been thinking about getting an apple snail for a while, and decided to get one for my sorority. I asked if they carried any... and was told it's illegal to ship them over state lines! Is this true? And if so, is there any way to get one, or should I settle for a mystery snail?
Bloeduwedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:00 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

In the USA there is laws against shipping some snails over state lines, and the permits are quite expensive. Not really worth it. Some states believe these snails can cause harm if released into the wild. Sad. So ya, there's no possible way to get one as online has the same restrictions. Is go with what's legal to own.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:03 PM   #3 
Bloeduwedd

Darn... Oh well. That is disappointing though, I was really hoping to get one :(
Old 09-30-2011, 11:06 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

There are so many weird laws in USA when it comes to shipping live animals, but I guess since there is such a variety in habitats there, kinda makes sense. In Canada we have one habitat, cold haha Actually Alberta has a ban on domestic rats! How silly. Is there much difference with mystery and Apple? I have a black apple snail, its yellow o_O
Old 10-01-2011, 01:21 AM   #5 
Bloeduwedd

I'm just concerned with tank overpopulation, is all... From what I've read on here and other sites, population control is easy with Apple snails. I'll do some research into Mystery snails, since that seems to be all I can get here :/
Old 10-01-2011, 01:26 AM   #6 
Tisia

mystery snails are a type of apple snail. they're a bit smaller regular apples and need a male and a female to breed. plus if they do breed they lay their eggs in a big pile above the water line so it would be easy to get rid of them if you don't want them. they also generally only eat dying plants and I believe apples will eat any plants, so mystery snails are better if you have live plants
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #7 
Bloeduwedd

Hmmmm... I might have to see how much they are then :)
Old 10-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #8 
Pitluvs

Thank you Tisia, I was wondering what the connection was between the two. Glad to see they are the same only smaller!
Old 10-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #9 
eatingganesh

I've read on another site that mystery snails do not make good companions for bettas. They have long antennae and apparently bettas will nip on them and stress them out. I suppose a mystery snail or two would be fine if your betta is super docile and doesn't care at all about things on the bottom.
eatingganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:20 AM   #10 
Bloeduwedd

It'll be going in my 20 gal community tank, which houses an unusually docile sorority. My girls don't bother any of the other fish (platies, tetras, and cory cats), and they don't even seem to notice each other!