Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #1 
MistersMom
Member
 
MistersMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
What is wroing with him?

My male betta, his verrrrrry tips of his fins are black at the exact tip, then the black fell off and are now his fins are normal, i used some QuICK CURE the "U" is lower cased just like that. i changed his water and all that. what was going on? and how do you identify a tail biter?
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:19 AM   #2 
Myates
Member
 
Myates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Did it fall off, or did it just change color? Tail biting you will see half circles on the edges. It's hard to say whether it's fin rot or not since you say it's already gone. Black edges with fraying/shredding tips is a sign of fin rot.
Quick Cure is for ich and parasites... take him out and put him in clean water with normal conditioner. You don't want to just throw in medication and that can do more harm then good. Gotta be careful =)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:38 AM   #3 
Myates
Member
 
Myates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Are the attached images of the quick cure you are using, and have used on fish for other problems? If so.. I would try something a little more conservative rather then this medication.

Formalin is carcinogenic. Don't inhale the stuff.

Malachite green can be used to treat fish that are housed in aquariums. This chemical in concentrated form is hazardous to handle and is thought to cause cancer, mutations, and can be harmful to unborn foetuses. Pregnant personnel should NEVER handle this chemical. Gloves and a protective mask should always be worn when handling the concentrated powder. Dosage calculations should be double-checked before applying treatment as the margin for error with regard to its toxicity is very narrow.

The toxicity of malachite green is related to water temperature. At lower temperatures, the fish can tolerate slightly higher concentrations of malachite green than at higher temperatures. Therefore, in tropical climates, the most suitable time for applying malachite green should be carefully considered. Early morning treatment, when water temperature is not too high, is recommended. During the hot summer months the exposure time for malachite green treatment should be decreased. Species and size of fish is another factor affecting the toxicity of malachite green. It also seems to be more toxic to scaleless fish than fish with scales when used at the same concentration, and should be avoided on these species.

Despite its toxicity, it is commonly used to control parasitic protozoans on ornamental fish and is quite effective when used at concentrations of 0.05 to 0.10 mg/L as an indefinite bath. This chemical can be extremely harsh on fish, particularly on gill tissue, so be careful not to overdose the fish.
Attached Images
  
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #4 
MistersMom
Member
 
MistersMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
thats the stuff, and i checked for the darkend edges, no black, it was just that very tiiip, then it fell off, and now there is nothing no dark tip, my other male i think is biting his tail in the same spot everytime then, its NOT fin rot , its just like bit off ig. idk, its hard to tell. i think my fish will be good for nnow, but uhm what do i do for the possible fi rot then? nothing? just change the water and put the usual conditioner in it?
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:47 AM   #5 
Myates
Member
 
Myates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
If it's not fin rot... then why exactly are you medicating them? And fins breaking off isn't normal..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #6 
MistersMom
Member
 
MistersMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
My male Sir had the tips of his fins fall off, just the very tips, i medicated him once and he is fine now it seems. My other male mister seems to be biting his own fins. im keeping an eye on sir, to see if it comes back. ive been changin the water every day. with the condtitioner.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #7 
MistersMom
Member
 
MistersMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Are the attached images of the quick cure you are using, and have used on fish for other problems? If so.. I would try something a little more conservative rather then this medication.

Formalin is carcinogenic. Don't inhale the stuff.

Malachite green can be used to treat fish that are housed in aquariums. This chemical in concentrated form is hazardous to handle and is thought to cause cancer, mutations, and can be harmful to unborn foetuses. Pregnant personnel should NEVER handle this chemical. Gloves and a protective mask should always be worn when handling the concentrated powder. Dosage calculations should be double-checked before applying treatment as the margin for error with regard to its toxicity is very narrow.

The toxicity of malachite green is related to water temperature. At lower
temperatures, the fish can tolerate slightly higher concentrations of malachite green than at higher temperatures. Therefore, in tropical climates, the most suitable time for applying malachite green should be carefully considered. Early morning treatment, when water temperature is not too high, is recommended. During the hot summer months the exposure time for malachite green treatment should be decreased. Species and size of fish is another factor affecting the toxicity of malachite green. It also seems to be more toxic to scaleless fish than fish with scales when used at the same concentration, and should be avoided on these species.

Despite its toxicity, it is commonly used to control parasitic protozoans on ornamental fish and is quite effective when used at concentrations of 0.05 to 0.10 mg/L as an indefinite bath. This chemical can be extremely harsh on fish, particularly on gill tissue, so be careful not to overdose the fish.


mine also said fin rot. on the box, it had 3 little pictures, those 2 and fin rot, and the box said it can fix all 3.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #8 
youlovegnats
Member
 
youlovegnats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Quick Cure cures ick and parasites, not fin rot. Fin rot is a bacteria, not a parasite.
You shouldn't be using quick cure at all.
They only way to get rid of fin rot is by clean water and healthy living conditions.
Do a 100% change (if you havent already). You can QT and add AQ salt if you wish (1tsp/gal) with 100% DAILY water changes for up to 10 days. Prolonging salt treatment any longer can damage internal organs and gills.

EDIT:: Also can you tell me your housing situation?
-How many gallons is your tank?
-Is it heated?
-What's the temp.?
-Any tankmates?
-What's your water changing schedule?
-How much do you change?
-What, and how much are you feeding him?
-PH?
-Ammonia?
-Nitrates?
-Nitrites?

Last edited by youlovegnats; 10-06-2011 at 10:39 AM.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #9 
MistersMom
Member
 
MistersMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
EDIT:: Also can you tell me your housing situation?
-How many gallons is your tank? 1 gal
-Is it heated? no
-What's the temp.? 75
-Any tankmates? no
-What's your water changing schedule? 50% on tuesdays and 100% on thursday 50% sunday
-How much do you change?see above
-What, and how much are you feeding him?pellets 3 a day
-PH?uh? no?
-Ammonia?no?
-Nitrates? no?
-Nitrites? no?
__________________
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #10 
MistersMom
Member
 
MistersMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
i just did a 100% change for all, 50 % on my ten gal.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.